Non-Conformity...

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #156333 by Jestor
Non-Conformity... was created by Jestor
With Robin William's death this week, the television is playing all sorts of his movies...

In my life, when I am presented in a situation, I generally rebel, first, or at least not just "go along" with the majority, until I can make my own assessment...:)

Re-watched "Dead Poet Society" Saturday, and forgot all the great lessons in it, seeing it oh, so long ago, :lol:...

Anyway, this made me think...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Proteus, Alexandre Orion, Llama Su

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #156334 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic Non-Conformity...
from Freedom from the Known, Jiddu Krishnamurti, p. 47 :

"Man has accepted conflict as an innate part of daily existence because he has accepted competition, jealousy, greed, acquisitiveness and aggression as a natural way of life. When we accept such a way of life we accept the structure of society as it is and live within the pattern of respectability. And that is what most of us are caught in because most of us want to be terribly respectable. When we examine our own minds and hearts, the way we think, the way we feel and how we act in our daily lives, we observe that as long as we conform to the pattern of society, life must be a battlefield. If we do not accept it - and no religious person can possibly accept such a society - then we will be completely free from the psychological structure of society."

* the accentuation is my own

This one of Robin Williams' roles was one of my own role-models, not only as a teacher, but in many different social situations ...

:cheer:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago #156335 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Non-Conformity...
I can't remember a time where I ever conformed to the norm....at least not willingly or happily...I know how to "play the game" by putting on a display of conformity, but inwardly I'm not one of the sheeple, merely a starving wolf with a good costume....fortunately I only have to wear a mask when dealing with the law or employers...the rest of the time I'm free of restraints...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156336 by
Replied by on topic Non-Conformity...
The first time I heard Carpe Diem was in The Dead Poets Society. Something I have tried to live by ever since. I went to a school that was similar to the one in the movie and my friends and I were quite inspired by it. My school was in the grounds of a mansion and in the woods behind it we found what must have been an old cool room that you now had to crawl down a tunnel to get into as it was underground. We called it the Velvet Underground (after the band) and used to meet there to smoke and read poems etc. Good times!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156337 by
When I was in high school I marked my arm with "the old Indian sign for virility" and I would read poetry to my girlfriends, haha.

Dead Poets Society was definitely the most memorable to me of the Robin Williams movies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156371 by
*shrugs*

I conform plenty.

My job. If I didnt I would lose not only my job, but in many cases my ability to work in healthcare anywhere. I may skate the line from time to time, as I once told a diabetic man who was recovering from an above the knee amputation to his right leg that, when seeing the Wendys bag his family brought him that was his other leg I was severely reprimanded.

When telling a pain seeker who came up to the floor and threatened to leave if he did not receive his pain medicine that instant he was leaving I chuckled and told him not to threaten me with having less patients to care for and cheerfully handed him an AMA form.

These acts were not without repercussion, and there have been others, but I am obviously staying conformed enough to keep my job. Which is a good thing, I have family to take care of, and interests to pay for.

I am not in jail. I do not believe in every law, and I break several,( I just havent been caught yet) but many I keep because there is a law, not because I put any value in said law, making it conformity.

I am of the mind that inwardly it doesnt matter how I feel. I may not conform happily, but certainly willingly in these instances, and im sure others.

Martial arts is another one, at least in the beginning, as you know nothing, so the first thing you tend to do is the basics, the basics stay with you forever. The basics are drilled into all new students. Some would say and I agree that the most advanced practitioners do there basics at an extremely high level.

Of course, everyone who stays with it long enough develops there own accent as it were, there own flair, but when rolling(slang for sparring in bjj) I find if my opponent is particularly hard, I revert to the basics and as they have been practiced the most(shrimping is shimping, side control is side control, etc,etc) it keeps it simple, but much harder for someone trying to stick to there own flair to deal with.

Conformity has value. I do math as most others do, as I was taught. I use the same alphabet that everyone does(at least on my continent)

Certainly I find value in non conformity, but I see plenty of value in conforming as well

I am known to be an iconclast, a non conformist, in school, for some of my antics I was called and anarchist.

For most things, you only know your breaking out of a system if you have once been inside it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #156372 by
Ah, i forgot.

I stay conformed enough to stay a member here.

I used to get PMs regarding my future time here for things I had said, or the way I said them, common enough as they were in my home forums. Most recently it was a public event in regards to my asking to many questions, or the way I asked them.

ToTJo wants a level of conformity, its in your rules for being an active member or guest here.

So I do, so I can explore.

Not a complete indoctrination, which is the highest level of conformity, but I play by the rules predominantly.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
9 years 8 months ago #156375 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Non-Conformity...
I dont think the point of the scene was to say conformity is bad, but more to say to choose it for a reason, as opposed to "blindly following" (wait? having "faith"?, lol...) like the rest of the sheep, er, sheeple, er, people...

It marching even, it makes sense... People can be closer together, it minimizes stumbles and tripping...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #156383 by

I dont think the point of the scene was to say conformity is bad, but more to say to choose it for a reason,

Im saying my "choice" is inconsequential.

In conformity, no one cares about my justifications or excuses for why, they just care that I do.

Im also venturing to say it was not a choice on my part.

I wanted to get into healthcare.

I pretty much had to be on the bandwagon, or I did not get my nursing license.

I have to obey the law, whether I choose to or not.

In school, I did not choose to be there, much less learn,( though of course there were subjects I enjoyed) I had to, reinforced by the heavy hand, fist, belt, two by four, of my parents.

Is there choice here?

Perhaps if it makes you feel better to think so.

Do I have a choice to act as I like here?

Not if I want to be here.

A revolutionary that keeps it to himself isnt much of one though.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #156389 by
I can behave in conformity rather well most of the time, while in other times I am really bad at selling it. I guess it has more to do with necessity over desire. My ability to see the play for how well people play their parts enables me to play my part with integrity and clear vision, while leaving myself a little room for improv. Needless to say, I'm an odd one and everybody knows it. :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi