Live Action Avatar

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326787 by
Live Action Avatar was created by
Given how many people here I know love Avatar: The Last Airbender and how many of us take spiritual and moral lessons from it how is everyone feeling about Netflix doing a live action remake? It is being done by the original show producers.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #326788 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Live Action Avatar
I was a fan. A lot of the ideas and “morals” and lessons reflected on actual ideals in the “spiritual and intellectual” level. Lots of reflection. There’s good stuff out there. I did like the fact that Nickelodeon did them. One simple fact is Nic. keeps a body count to a zero. Can’t say that about Netflix but I guess I’ll have to see them before I allow my children to watch em. I personally am looking foward to it and will have to wait for them to hit dvd like the new Voltron. Well worth it. Any how- I’m Kinna like a big kid when it comes to cinema. The demographics of what’s new seems to be my generation quite often / reel in the 8 bit-ers and their inheritance and their savings! ( just a joke)

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
5 years 6 months ago #326791 by
Replied by on topic Live Action Avatar
honestly, I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Since it wont be He-Who-Will-Not-Be-Named doing it this time around, and instead the original creators, I think we will see a faithful adaption. And, with that, the lessons, which is what keeps me coming back to Avatar for an annual rewatch.

Also, can't wait to see how they pull off bending in live action.

More
5 years 6 months ago #326832 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Live Action Avatar
There are few places it can go to be worse than the 2010 movie adaptation, but even fewer to be better than the series itself. I understand if people want to remake some 1930's live action horror or science fiction movie, just for the sheer visual improvements it can bring. I'm not convinced that CGI has in only the last decade grown so much as to significantly challenge the flexibility of the drawn/animated hybrid cartoons we had a decade ago. Let's see what else is there to improve? Well, the overall plot and episode stories leave frankly nothing to be desired. If anything, I can only see it getting worse, if they start chipping at the subtleties. The cast... Well, many fans will resent that choice just because it happens to not be the original cast, but then they also explicitly stated a priority on picking a "non-whitewashed cast" because I guess that's now an important aspect of the show or something?
Now Netflix is by all means a company that knows well what it is doing, both monetarily and artistically. To me it's a matter of fixing what ain't broke, though. At best I expect it to be vaguely as good as the original series, discounting nostalgic biases.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #326849 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Live Action Avatar

Gisteron wrote: they also explicitly stated a priority on picking a "non-whitewashed cast" because I guess that's now an important aspect of the show or something?

It's always been an important aspect of the show. There are literally no white people in ATLA canon.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by steamboat28.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #326881 by Gisteron

steamboat28 wrote:

Gisteron wrote: they also explicitly stated a priority on picking a "non-whitewashed cast" because I guess that's now an important aspect of the show or something?

It's always been an important aspect of the show. There are literally no white people in ATLA canon.

I fail to see how that makes it an important aspect of the show.

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Gisteron.

More
5 years 6 months ago #326882 by steamboat28
Except that a) it's canonical that all characters seen in that universe are PoC and b) representation matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #326883 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Live Action Avatar
Probably because the failed movie was nothing but white actors?

And what Steam said.

Edit: That's not to say the movie failed because the actors were all white. I realized about five seconds after I hit post that that's how it came across.

But rather, those who are fans of the series were, as a whole, disappointed by the choice to go with all white actors when it wasn't true to story, and when as good of (if not better) actors of other more accurate ethnicities to the series exist. Among with many other issues ...

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Avalon.

More
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #326888 by Gisteron
Look, if you can point me to a moment in the overall plot, or any of the character arcs that actually depended on anyone's fictional ethnicity or whether there is something like a vague earth-human counterpart to it and what it was, then I could see the point. And there are stories you can't tell in full without respecting matters of race. I don't remember an instant that made Avatar one of those stories. You can make a live action adaptation of the Lion King without casting a single lion. You can make a live action adaptation of Robots without casting a single robot. You can't make a live action adaptation of Ice Age without characters that would have the sort of conflict you'd see between mammoths and humans, or predator cats and their natural prey, that is as naturally explained as by the animal species selected for the original tale. Or, you can tell Ice Age without it, but you'd have to somehow establish those conflicts in far more explicit terms, if race/species is no option. You can't retell Shrek without portraying the titular character as something regular people would find repulsive or frightening or both, by his appearance and stereotypes about his kind, and if his kind is the same as everyone else's, you'd have to write that aspect out altogether, or bend over backwards to explain it.
If the vaguely Inuit-like people of the water tribes were cast with African American actors, what else about the script would need to change? If the vaguely Asian people of much of the rest of the world of Avatar were instead cast with, say, Latin/South Americans of matching variation, just how much would that warp the story, really? And if the best casting match happened to be white, that, too, wouldn't cost the story much, I find. A priority should be on a cast that would do well with the characters, not the colours they were coated with in the cartoon. Just what race is a "wrong" race to play King Bumi? What's the "correct" race to portray Iroh? He is said to be closely related to Zuko and Azula, remember.
Now, I don't know if that line in the announcement is just a throwaway line to satisfy the sort of target demographic they expect to have, or if it is in reference to the outrage at the admittedly odd casting choices of the 2010 feature film, or if they are genuinely concerned about such superficial, trivial fluff, and I'm by no means judging the show based on that in advance. But I find that in this case it is profoundly unimportant, and, if anything, a fixation on it over substantive things like the themes, plots, and characters, can only get in the way, and with no benefit to compensate for it.

Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Gisteron.

More
5 years 6 months ago #326889 by steamboat28

Gisteron wrote: Look, if you can point me to a moment in the overall plot, or any of the character arcs that actually depended on anyone's fictional ethnicity or whether there is something like a vague earth-human counterpart to it and what it was, then I could see the point.

I'm gonna stop you right here, because the Fire Nation's expansion was a metaphor for Japanese aggression during the Second World War, Ba Sing Se was a reference to the Forbidden City and the Great Wall, all the bending styles were specifically Chinese martial arts, all the clothing was representative of the real-world nations represented (Earth Kingdom: Sino-Korean, Fire Nation: Sino-Japanese, Air Nomads: Tibetan Buddhists, Water Tribes: Inuit), all the spiritual teachings are from Asiatic religions and spiritualities, the Guru Pathik was the "correct" ethnicity to convey the message about chakras he taught, the iconography of the entire series is wrapped up in an Asian bundle, and literally nothing about it at all is Western except the voice cast and writing crew.

Would you like me to continue, or have I made my point?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi