Stop Arming Terrorists Act (HR258) Series

More
7 years 3 months ago #271605 by Alethea Thompson
This is a bill that my team at Let's Regroup:Building Stronger Citizens is following. It's was introduced by Tulsi Gabbard, who was actually a very strong supporter of Bernie Sanders when he was running for President. This video is meant to tie together history and it's relevance to the bill, as well as a basic introduction to what the Bill is and what we saw with it. It was a really interesting study. The guy that helped me get the historical stuff together actually graduated college with a degree in Military History. :) I welcome anyone sharing this video out, if you find value in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrKOVubybo8&t=90s

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #271608 by Rex
This video has incredibly poor audio quality, do you know of any other commentaries?
I looked at govtrack.us and legiscan.com for the bill text and couldn't find it, but I'm interested in congress trying to dictate our foreign policy through creating a framework. The US's official involvement in Syria hasn't been through our military, it's mostly humanitarian aid through the State Department. Turkey and Saudi governments and NGOs have done way more than any NATO state. The US historically has been very involved in humanitarian efforts since WW2, so while isolationism might seem rather tantalizing, we'd leave a huge power vacuum that could easily be filled by fundamentalist regimes/groups. With our current involvement, we're able to make many groups be responsible to us. Intervention has worked incredibly well in the past through strategies like the Marshall Plan. I found it a bit ironic that she talked about our failures in the Iran-Contras affair, which the Boland Amendment ought to have prevented, when HR258 is a comparable legislative effort.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein

More
7 years 3 months ago #271624 by Alethea Thompson
I understand the video is poor quality. You could easily extract the points though and share it out. Obviously no one is going to do as in-depth of an analysis as I did. ;) so far nobody cares enough to actually make any real commentary. It was kind of the point of me actually pulling attention to this particular bill .

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
7 years 3 months ago #271625 by Alethea Thompson
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr6504/text

Anyways here's the actual text from the original bill that was introduced last month. The reference to the Iran-Contra Affair was a direct result of the fact that totally Gabbards press release cited the Boland Amendment. Which as I pointed out Would have worked out in theory if it weren't for Oliver North.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
7 years 3 months ago #271626 by Rex
Did you make that video? I really enjoyed it. The whole thing was very thought provoking, and I still just want to learn more about it.
I think with just a tad bit of hindsight that you might be the first to talk about it since it was just introduced to congress last week, and is going to House Intelligence where it'll probably get redrafted. Political participation is important, so I like the whole idea behind the video anyhow.

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

More
7 years 3 months ago #271627 by Alethea Thompson
Yeah, that's me. I'm REALLY getting angry at my microphone Q.Q It doesn't want to cooperate with me!

I'm actually really excited about how this act might unfold. My husband isn't particular to the Act because he believes it will limit our intelligence in the region. However, the way I see it, we don't get a lot out of the area as it is. And there is a great deal of effort on the part of ISIS to use the internet as their ally. So if we can find a way to lock them down on the cyber side of things, I think it will go a long ways in reducing their reach. But that's a lot trickier than it sounds x.x

After the next video on a comparison of the two regions (Nicaragua and the Middle East) I'll probably send a handwritten letter to the Committee Chairs asking them to keep the ball moving on this Bill, and to work on it getting to the House.

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana

More
7 years 2 months ago #273885 by Alethea Thompson
Here's the next video.

I'm going to write the two house Committees this weekend, now that I've looked it over. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K8U7tAyCB0&feature=youtu.be

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rex

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi