Continuing Education

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267423 by Nakis
Continuing Education was created by Nakis
As I sit here, ready(ish) and entering my finals week, I am struck by the question: What are other people doing to further themselves in the realm of education?

I am currently pursuing my degree in accounting and looking to get my associate's providing I pass business stats this year and move on to my bachelor's next year. What is everyone else doing, be it formal education or otherwise?

Licensed Clergy Person
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Nakis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #267428 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Continuing Education
I'm a full time university student myself, dual majoring in Graphic Design and Visual Communications. Beyond that, I love self teaching myself new things; I hope next semester will be calm enough for me to start looking more into PHP, Javascript, and other coding, but I doubt it! And often times, when I come across something online that I don't know about or know little about, I'll get caught up trying to figure out everything I can about it, because that's just the way I am.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nakis

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267454 by
Replied by on topic Continuing Education
I am studying french and psychology ( online courses by Coursera) very interesting. I did Tax law aswell but that was very boring haha luckily i have to do another one in 4 years.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #267533 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Continuing Education
I've done heaps at Coursea, but now I'm doing a few online free courses at Futurelearn, at the moment a bit informally/sporadically;
RELIGION AND CONFLICT - UNIVERSITY OF GRONINGEN
GLOBAL SYSTEMS SCIENCE AND POLICY - UNESCO UNITWIN COMPLEX SYSTEMS DIGITAL CAMPUS
DISASTER MANAGEMENT - DEAKIN UNIVERSITY

But looking forward to ' Taoism and Western Culture ', though it might be a bit lite... asking only 2 hours a week

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nakis,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267535 by
Coursera and edX are very nice, but I'm REALLY into MIT's online university. It is free and called Open Course Ware. ocw.mit.edu. It has tons of subjects, separated by category, ranging from Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity to Music Theory and History to Poetry and Literature to Political Science and Sociology, etc. These courses offer no certification, however, so I'd recommend it only to quell curiosities and, perhaps, go towards any self-employment training needed.
Easiest way to seach is by topic at: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267589 by
I'm currently employed as an adjunct business professor while I finish a doctorate. Most of this is online. I also am testing for an hr certification, the SHRM CP, 20 Dec, as part of my employing colleges continuing ed and professional development program. There is a lot of overlap between these things.

In my down time, which is rare, I also like coursera. And one day I intend to complete my BDiv here.

More
7 years 4 months ago #267595 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Continuing Education
My job requires me to do further education courses on a regular basis. Over the last few years I've focused on cooperative teaching methods. This year I've been looking into communicative classroom applications, online teaching tools and business communications.

At home, I've been spending time reading up on comparative religious subjects and meditation / mind forming methods.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nakis,

More
7 years 4 months ago #267621 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Continuing Education
My job demands a fair amount of my time, with little inherent "growth" - I spend my spare time desperately going over my existing skills to reduce "skill fade" - It's all well and good collecting the most amount of certificates and qualifications, but if you've forgotten how to do most of them, they're not worth much.

There's probably a point to that somewhere?

Something about being good at what you're good at, and not trying to be good at everything?

More
7 years 4 months ago #267626 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Continuing Education
What I've found about continuing education, is that oftentimes people just go through the motions... collecting yet another certificate. It's all based on the fear of not being good enough, of not being able to get that next job. Sometimes the fear is justified, sometimes it's just illusion.

Taking on courses because they genuinely interest you though? For the sake of learning as its own reward, the pleasure of doing so... that's more my style. And who knows, a path towards discovering your bliss/passion.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi