Jedi Intervention in Dakota Access Pipeline

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266134 by Kit

Silas Mercury wrote: It's f*cking disgusting. Things like this are happening and we are just sitting here talking. Get your ass up outta that couch, skim through 'Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee' and you'll know what do do. The Natives are having what little land they have left stolen from them. Let's organize a group of Jedi to go there, provide food and aid to the protesters, and that would get our names out there. Come on guys. This is the opportunity.

Will you cover the wadges of my husband while I was gone? He'd need to stay home and care for my daughter, or will you do that? Scratch that, you're leaving to go there anyways right? Can you swing by here and pick me up? Or pay for my round trip plane ticket and taxi rides there and back? My food? Will you pay for our cost of living until I can find a new job once I get back? Oh, and while we're at it, I'll need a few grand to move back home so I can job hunt there instead. (That is, after all, what the military would have done if I had gotten out on good terms)

I can't afford Christmas gifts for my family. Why do you think it'd be a good idea to spend hundreds of dollars I don't have, much less can't afford, lose my job, and lose where we live to go and do this protesting? I do need to keep a roof over their heads. I need to feed them. What's disgusting is your utter lack of compassion and understanding for the position that many of us are already in. Do I like what's going on? No. I have yet to see a productive way that other people in my position can be of service. Since I'm guessing you can't afford to sponsor me to go, you are in the same position.

A Jedi knows where her priorities lie and why. I have a two year old who's life depends on me. I'm facing enough time away from her in my service in the military. Finances aside, I will not give up the time I have with her and my husband. I've done and am doing my service.

Aah to be so young and so ignorantly free Silas. I hope you can find a productive use for your passion some day.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Kit. Reason: can't grammar!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, Zenchi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #266135 by Kit

Silas Mercury wrote: It's not a case of will not, it's one of can not.

Oh? They don't make airplanes that can travel across the ocean?

More
7 years 4 months ago #266136 by Kit

BBTim wrote: As much as I admire your passion, labeling people cowards for not agreeing with you might be a bit aggressive. I offer this to further educate you and anyone interested in learning some facts before charging in to what might be an unlawful demonstration:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ed-standing-rock-sioux-other-side-110916-20161109-story.html

I got a 404 error with that link Tim

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266137 by
My apologies, Kit. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Is the military pay really that low ?!

More
7 years 4 months ago #266138 by Zenchi
And that somehow gives you the right to tell others what you yourself "can not?" Stop assuming it's so easy, stop pointing fingers and stop with the judgments. Your apologies don't hold weight here anymore Silas...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266140 by Kit
Spoiler for OT

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Kit.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266141 by JamesSand

Is the military pay really that low ?!

Military Pay is as low as the given country can get away with.

the USA and UK both offer "acceptable" packages that cover life costs and moderate luxuries to whatever standard of living is the "norm" in those countries.

No one joins the Military to "get rich".

Were you also not aware that the Military controls your haircuts, waistline, sock colour, piercings, and you get to go home on weekends "if" the Commander doesn't need you - it's not an industry right?

A lot of the discipline, servitude, and asceticism that inspired the Jedi ideals are carried out as Law in Military organisations.

I apologise for the derail, but whether or not you agree with any given Nation and their actions - Their soldiers rarely profit from any of it.

Semi-Back-On-Topic - I don't know what is happening in Dakota. I'm sure it's bad, however I am flat out protesting issues of concern in my own areas such as fracking, poorly considered development, and knee-jerk application of laws.

So I wish those in the USA and areas surrounding or affected by the Dakota pipelinee the best of luck with their efforts, and I recommend that everyone else find ways to improve the world in their own backyards and not carry on like galahs about issues they neither know anything about, or are in a position to affect.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

More
7 years 4 months ago #266143 by Kohadre
Implying that others are of weak character, or cowards as you claim, is an age old tactic of manipulation. As the temple doctrine would remind, a Jedi does not deal in absolutes. Not all of us are capable of putting our lives on hold and traveling what can amount to hundreds or even thousands of miles (In my case, it is the latter) to join in a protest at our own expense.

There are far more effective ways to assist in the protest efforts, and a simple google search will yield multiple links through which you can make financial contributions to the organized efforts of the DAPL protesters. If you take the cost of one plane ticket, or just a few tank refills for your personal vehicle and donate that instead, I'm sure you would be assisting the protesters in purchasing much needed supplies and legal council.

I'd love to see some pictures of the protests once you get back from joining their efforts, as I'm sure with your convictions and claims of cowardice absent participation you will most certainly be going to join them.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #266149 by
The things which I have seen coming from North Dakota sicken me to the bone, but I have to be realistic about the fact that I can barely leave the house due to my illness; I would be more of a liability than an asset. To cast aspersions on your fellow Jedi because they have different life conditions that make such a action (however noble) infeasible goes against so much of the Jedi Doctrine and the Oaths we take. A Jedi is aware of their place in the Force; while yours may allow you go trekking across the country to risk life and limb for a righteous cause, everyone has their own place, and their own responsibilities.
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by . Reason: missing word

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #266154 by
1. I have two daughters. I REFUSE, to put them through that madness. I REFUSE, to put them through the potential loss, harm, abuse, trauma, or otherwise from the consequences of stupidly charging into a Cause because some of you self righteous idiots think your being "Big Brave Jedi" and I somehow am not because I am a mother and you are not.

2. I do not agree with the Protesters. Heck...The Original Protesters that started this dosnt agree with the protesters of today.

3. Get your facts before you judge others. That river has Many Pipelines already installed and in use. That pipeline only crosses a small measure of Native american land. That pipeline has gone through all legal procedures to get the ok. Throwing rocks, bottles, trash and vandalizing property to "Protest" Is illegal and not "Peaceful" I've even heard that some of the protesters have been caught raping women of the camp. I WILL NOT SUBJECT MY CHILDREN TO THIS.

4. And Silas. Unless you are willing to get on that Airplane and put your ass where your mouth is. You will abstain from such insults in the future.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi