Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #250670 by
Replied by on topic Art and/or Entertainment
Ummm 0_o ..... People worry way too much over details....Art...Entertainment....its the same thing expressed differently. If you enjoy it, who cares? Its like when my friend argued with me over the details of clearly expressing "Shows" over "Movies" they are both moving ART on a screen. Be happy folks....stop stressing details....

That's all I got :dry:

More
7 years 8 months ago #250671 by Leah Starspectre
I agree with the idea that art make us feel, changes us where as entertainment is more of less just tickling out pleasure sensors.

I see this a lot in my particular form of art/entertainment: burlesque. It could be argued that much of time, burlesque is an art, though it can be pure entertainment - or both!

In my particular niche of burlesque, "nerdlesque" (ie geeky-themed burlesque), and in my troupe in particular, we ARE geeks IRL and we have a variety of ages, body types and shades of colour. Every time we get up on that stage, we are telling the audience that anyone can be sexy. And since out routines are based in fandoms, a lot of the routines are stories. So many times, I've see people responding to our performances about how they didn't belive that someone with the same figure (colour, height, age, gender, etc...) could be so brave as to get nearly naked on stage. Burlesque is an art form that inspires and challenges. And I think that's what art should do. :)

In brief: we're not *just* strippers, ha ha ha!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #250674 by
I feel as though I am more in agreement with the third person. While all three have interesting points and I at times agree with all of them, I resonate the most with the third. However, I'm not going to tell someone who likes the first that they are wrong.

Both art and entertainment are completely subjective. There is no objectively "good" or "bad" art. Don't believe me? I work in Iowa City, IA and every summer they have an arts festival celebrating the massive amount of artists here. I guarantee you that you will not like everything, but that everything you don't like someone else will.

One of my favorite art forms is comic books, but they are constantly belittled as "uncultured" or "childish." It takes a lot of artistic talent to write, pencil, ink, color, and generally produce a comic book. But they're not everyone's cup of tea (which is also not my cup of tea :laugh:), and that's okay.

One of my least favorite art forms is rap music. I just can't stand it. But I know that there are many who love it and that it is not as easy to do as it sounds. It's just not my thing, and that's okay.

I believe that all art is entertaining to some, and all entertainment is an art to some.

More
7 years 8 months ago #250675 by Leah Starspectre
I think you bring up a good point Goken. One doesn't need to like the art to appreciate it as such. I don't like modern art, but I still recognize that it IS art :P
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 8 months ago #250687 by Wescli Wardest

Attachment hf4d6419.GIF not found

Warning: Spoiler!

Monastic Order of Knights
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #250688 by
Even pranking people can be considered an art form. :laugh: :laugh:

More
7 years 8 months ago #250719 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Art and/or Entertainment
Art is a symbol of the conventionally unexpressable aspects of human perception and experience.

Entertainment is a muse to distract us from our own human perceptions and experiences.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
7 years 8 months ago #250745 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Art and/or Entertainment
I reckon art has to challenge perception, while entertainment has to excite.

The fake art installation 'reading glasses' is an example of someone trying to challenge the perception of challenging perception - which overrides itself and becomes a waste of time
:silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
7 years 8 months ago #250754 by Lykeios Little Raven
I agree with the third blog post. Art and entertainment are the same thing. I write fiction to entertain but does that make it not art? Fiction writing is intended to entertain but I've read many books that could be called pure art. Same with TV shows and movies. They're all art intended to entertain. Music too. Performance is an art form. It's certainly possible to make "bad" art though. I've seen several TV shows that I'd hesitate to call art, but in reality they're just bad art.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi