Art and/or Entertainment

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251407 by Wescli Wardest
So what exactly is art… :huh:
Some would say it is anything that elicits an emotional response, or/and entertains, or/and changes, or/and conveys some meaning. :unsure:

So…
I guess I could say, I went to McArtlds and got a double cheese art burger and artfully ate it. Then it passed through my digestive system and I artistically displayed it in my porcelain art throne. And any or/and all of it was art. :blink: :ohmy: :pinch:

Awesome! I make art! LOL :P :silly: :woohoo: :laugh:

But seriously… I think that maybe art is personal. As in the expression, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” I draw, paint, play music and several other forms of expression that many would consider art. But I do not consider myself to be an artist. Others may consider what I do as art, but I do not.

So for some it would be as Vincent Van Gogh said, “If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere.”

Entertainment could be described as intended to entertain. Rather is does a good job for the experiencer or not does not validate it or invalidate it but rather is noted only to experience of said entertainment.

So, art could be entertaining or not and entertainment could be artful or not.

Those are my thoughts on it.
:)

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #253136 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Art and/or Entertainment
in addition to the idea that art is transformative, i would add that art has a kind of honesty that entertainment does not

i dont mean to say that art is honest in the sense that the observer can trust it: an artist might very well lie, and even lie with a genuinely malevolent intention of hurting you with their art, but that is still an honest expression of what is inside of the artist (i hope that makes sense)

the drive to create a piece of art is a personal compulsion or inspiration; something inside trying to get out and be achieved or expressed

the artist is expressing, exploring, and revealing, something about her or his self in the art

an "entertainment piece" by comparison, is safe and personally distant from the artist - entertainment is about meeting a deadline, pleasing a customer, or filling a niche in a market

entertainment is a product, art is a revelation, confession, an outpouring of what is within

art can definitely be entertaining
good entertainment requires creativity, and a person who really wants to create art can find a way to do it, even in the medium of entertainment - a single piece can have elements of both

but i think there are quite a few entertainers out there who are confused with artists, and who confuse themselves with artists, and the quickest "test" that i would pose to them would be the question of vulnerability: does your art make you vulnerable?

have you revealed or expressed something that we could use against you if we understood it?

are you saying what you really want to say?
or are you saying what we want to hear?

have you let yourself out, or put yourself on the line here, or are you just pandering to us?

every single piece of art doesnt have to meet this

but art is deeply personal, and if you want to make art, (and not just products) you have to reach that level of honesty with yourself; true personal exploration
and then openness and revelation of what you find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4so_Z9a_u0

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi