Meditation: Tips, techniques and time spent.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247543 by
Although I have only been studying Jedi teachings for a little over a week, I have meditated every day since starting; sometimes up to 4 times a day.

Although meditation is done differently by everyone, I have been wondering how people like to meditate and what their preferences are (e.g with music, incense etc) and for how long they do it.

Personally I like to meditate in quiet, although sometimes I listen to calming music and have made myself up a playlist of chillout music for meditation. I haven't tried things like scented candles or incense yet, but would be willing to. I always try to meditate for at least 15 minutes in one sitting, but on average I would estimate I'm somewhere between 20 and 25 minutes. The longest I have ever meditated in one sitting is around 45-50 minutes.

What about you guys? :D

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247545 by
In the Bath :) With Scented Salts, Incense and a good book <3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247556 by
If I do silent meditation or meditation with bells I only like to do so for at most 15 minutes. Otherwise I get stiff and, to be honest, bored. I do like guided meditations, but again, not for very long. Guided I think I can only handle about a half hour.

One thing I like to do is to meditate while doing certain activities. Walking (eyes open), showering, eating, martial arts, etc. I let my mind be free and try to open myself up to the world around me. I get a feeling of heightened senses. I smell more, see more, hear more, feel more, and taste more. One of my favorite meditative experiences was eating a BLT. The diversity in the flavors, textures, and colors of the sandwich left me in awe of it. It was only an okay sandwich, but opening myself up to it without letting my mind be clouded by other thoughts was an amazing experience.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247560 by
You'll find lots of information here :)

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #247570 by Carlos.Martinez3
Meditation can be what you choose to
Make it. For me it is a every day ritual used to hone my focus on a every day basis. The different ways I meditate come from the different types of meditation I have learned while seeking out meditation. There are ways of calming and easing a mind thru meditation. There are ways to remove one self from things and see from a different prospective... with out me. There are ways to meditate that can hide values of virtue in your heart and create better character. It all depends on you and your path and your choices. Continue to look friend... seek and you shall surly find..knock... and you'll find a door some where... hope this helps. If you need more specifics please ask any time

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 9 months ago #247574 by Kit

Death, yet the Force wrote: Although meditation is done differently by everyone, I have been wondering how people like to meditate and what their preferences are (e.g with music, incense etc) and for how long they do it.

I have two favorite forms. :)

Shamanic journeys, usually in the shower, sometimes with a drumming track if I pre-plan it, or if I'm not in the shower I'll drum for myself. Or the sauna :D I like it there too (although in this summer heat I don't need it XD ) I do these as I feel the need or as I'm called. Once a week or so is more usual.

My other is crafting. Currently I'm working on a cross stitch project that if it goes the rate it has been the last four months, I'll be done with it in three years. (278,550 stitches) :D I find knitting and chainmaille just as meditative.

I also really enjoy walking as a form of meditation but I'm currently injured and can't go the day without pain, much less going for walks. But I discovered how it worked for me on my last deployment and it was awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247589 by
I have used a yoga block in Hero Pose for years, and if I don't have a block, ive used rolled up sweaters, uniforms, or folded towels.. Typically I spend as long as is needed, but have observed the clock being 30 minutes later on average. The best meditations I have done were in Hero Pose in the shower with the water behind me on my neck. I don't recommend ludicrously hot water as it will distract you. I just do water barely walk enough to feel, at a pressure not too excessive so my water bill doesn't hate me later.

Water meditations typically enhance my lucid dreaming experiences as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247600 by
What works best will be different for you at different times. Take others experiences as a starting point and don't be afraid to make constant changes depending on how things are going in your life. It will change, I guarantee you that. The most important thing is to stick with it (he says, to remind himself as much as you.)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #247645 by
I like to meditate listening to music.

Like 15-20 min normaly.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #247647 by
I do any of the following, dependent on my current state of mental turbulence, time at hand or purpose of meditation:

- Fixating a medium sized object (impure or pure)
- Pinpointing a tiny object
- Recognizing and dismissing any observation
- Disidentifying with any observation
- Relaxing one of the chakras in particular (which is preliminary and I only occasionally do anymore)
- letting a mantra ring through my head to calm thoughts (as thoughts are internalized speech where the external expression is inhibited)
- reciting a couple of longer texts that point towards the emptiness experience, which works on prior conditioning.
- Calling up a particular Bodhisattva (for Christians: Saint)
- open presence, staying clear of any emotion or thought, focusing on the appearance
- focusing on consciousness of consciousness
- calling up images of people or situations that produce emotion and try to replace that emotion with loving compassion
- resting as an observer of actions (when walking or otherwise moving)
- letting the five winds do the job in the body
- feeling shrinking, growing, light, heavy, ...
- identifying with the seer of things
- identifying with that which is seen, not the seer
- disidentifying with both
- A momentary selection of the Six Yogas of Naropa
- Pondering on the emptiness of phenomena
- Staying as the space in which everything happens
- Staying as the crystal that emanates all which is seen because it is hit by a jet of energy/light

The further down they are on the list, the more skilled or knowledgable you should probably be. There are a couple more which involve visualizations which I rarely practice, as my primary toolkit is towards emotions. If you have a particular question, feel free to ask.

Best
Kc
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi