Meditation issue

More
8 years 1 month ago #235654 by Yugen
Meditation issue was created by Yugen
I didn't really know where else to post this but here

During meditation, i usually fall asleep after 10-20 minutes, no matter if i'm tired or not. I have also checked if it has anything do to with how much i sleep, but no matter how long i sleep i still fall asleep during meditating.
Maybe this isn't really an issue.. But is there any way anyone can recommend to not fall asleep while meditating?

Any replies are appreciated :)

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #235656 by
Replied by on topic Meditation issue
The Dalai Lama is supposed to have said that sleep is the best form of meditation, so it's not necessarily an issue... but, facing the same issue, I modified my posture to a slightly less comfortable one (seiza) and haven't had a problem since.

You might also want to vary time of day, whether or not you keep your eyes open, and how long you sit for.

Good luck :)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago #235657 by Yugen
Replied by Yugen on topic Meditation issue
Thank you for your reply Tzb, i'll try out your advise :)

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #235658 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Meditation issue
What TZB said, and to add you can try different kinds of meditations too :)
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yugen

More
8 years 1 month ago #235659 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic Meditation issue
There are many reasons for meditation. To see this result I ask is the result one of the results you want? Which are the results you want? Is this method achieving them.? Are you trying other methods for different results?

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235667 by
Have you tried using a mantra?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235669 by
I enjoy some forms of "active" meditation. Walking, showering, solo martial arts practice, etc. Basically anything that you can do without conscious thought can be done while meditating. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235678 by
Have you tried to meditate first thing in the morning?

Stand up and move rhythmically some way. I walk: circles , figure 8s and pace back and forth slowly and consciously.

I've always thought if I fall asleep that's what my body need more.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #235681 by
My tradition of secular Buddhism (Shambhala) makes little distinction between sitting meditation and walking meditation. Only in extremely advanced practices does the mode become über important.

Give it a try!

More
8 years 1 month ago #235684 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Meditation issue

Goken wrote: I enjoy some forms of "active" meditation. Walking, showering, solo martial arts practice, etc. Basically anything that you can do without conscious thought can be done while meditating. :)

Personally I'd argue that focused thought is a different form of meditation. Unless I'm working on a new craft I don't have the skills for, I get the same result from crafting as I do any other form of meditation but it's not thoughtless. Chainmaille, knitting, embroidery, coloring, painting, leather tooling, that sort of thing :) it's a focused thought. Just on what you're doing and lets all other thought go away.

But I'm ADHD so I need to keep my hands busy or I get more frustrated instead XD
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi