Negativity and the Path

More
8 years 3 months ago #223938 by steamboat28
It has become an increasingly-common occurrence that individuals on this forum set out to quash negativity. And, in an increasingly-ironic fashion, those people use negativity to shame such negativity. To point out, for example, that a "rant" thread doesn't belong in a Jedi Temple is a personal opinion, not everyone will share. To rant, repeatedly, about the existence of such a thread is an object lesson in the true nature of negativity: it always exists. Even in those who try to stamp it out.

To suggest that negativity is not wanted, desired, necessary, or natural to the Jedi path is to fundamentally misunderstand the nature of duality or the cathartic aims that such exercises warrant. There is a time for everything under heaven; a time for joy and a time to weep. To deny the transition is to ignore the necessity of these mutually-dependent opposite forces and strip away any framework or frame of reference for practical applications of the Jedi path to everyday life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Locksley, rugadd, Kit, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #223939 by
Replied by on topic Negativity and the Path
Negativity is part of live. Ranting in a thread is more suited than rants running wild on the forums everywhere.. If the rant thread would be gone I would not miss it. But I can not think about any negativity it has brought for the temple. What are the consequences if this topic would be gone? :unsure:

~ Aqua

More
8 years 3 months ago #223953 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Negativity and the Path
Negative does not equal evil. Ask an Electrician.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Brenna

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #223957 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Negativity and the Path
i find it depressing that so many people are unable to glean the message because they dont like the tone

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, ren, rugadd

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #223958 by
I rather like that thread:

1. it's amusing.

2. it shows that none of us (even those we respect the most) is flawless yet.

3. what better way to regain perspective than to blow it out somewhere? it's better than doing it at the person you're really mad at :)

4. it gives the negativity that is natural to everyone from time to time a place to be, rather than it just rearing its head everywhere in the forum xD

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose being positive because it feels more productive, but that doesn't mean there isn't a place for both. You have to critique a thing before you can start fixing it!
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #223965 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Negativity and the Path
Negativity is a fact of life. To quote that wonderful piece of wisdom. "Shit happens"

Its not about squashing anything, because to deny a negative feeling or experience is delusional. The concern that I and others have over that thread is about focus.... and attachment.

and PS. its meant to be ironic. Makes me giggle.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Brenna.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion,

More
8 years 3 months ago #223968 by Alexandre Orion
Actually, I'm all for the rant thread ... Like I said at its inception, 'tis like our version of the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem.

It would just be nice if we could post something that we are grateful about - no matter how small - in that dedicated thread whenever we have had to rant. If you ask the same electrician, he'll tell you that the negative doesn't go anywhere without the positive ... If we really want that thread to work, we should probably close the circuit rather than short the circuit.

It feels as though we would be wiser to seek balance, not to quash negativity. And even a 'relative' balance is better than toppling over ....

;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Brenna,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #223977 by
I did not give attention to grateful thread before today. At all. Thank you, Alexandre, for pointing out.

Constructive: personally, I'll keep an eye on my balance now. Ratio of rant thread posts to grateful thread posts is a good index.

More
8 years 3 months ago #223992 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Negativity and the Path
I don't know if it was done on purpose or not, but in episode II, Attack of the Clones, you have a very important moment that foretells the fall of the Jedi Order:

Padme: To be angry is to be human.
Anakin: I'm a Jedi. I know I'm better than this.

Thinking that we are somehow superior or immune to negative emotions is the fastest way to becoming a slave to our dark side. Darkness is created when we refuse to know ourselves.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Edan,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #223993 by
About the ranting topic, never used it ever.. I enjoy grateful topics, Alexandre, but I always feel so difficult to be grateful about even the smallest things in a topic far away from the action... I rather keep my gratefulness with me to say it directly to a person, rather than to put in in a thread, no offence for your point of view of course. :blush:
I find it unique to read people their problems trough the rant tread though. It shapes the way we understand each other.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi