The Problem with "Meditation"

More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #99230 by steamboat28
in reference to my journal
Warning: Spoiler!

I'm not sure how many other people have had troubles with meditation, but I really think it's amazing how often people do it without realizing it. I think it's about our expectations of what meditation is.

What do you think meditation is?
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #99237 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Problem with "Meditation"
I believe that when you've mastered it, all of life is a meditation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #99241 by
As a spiritual shopper in the spiritual marketplace, you need to educate yourself about all the various forms of meditation, what they do, and what results people get with them, and figure out which form of meditation is right for you.

You need to define your goal for meditation/practice/training and then learn a system that delivers accordingly.

For instance for me personally chanting a mantra, reading a book, thinking about things, paying attention to the breath, being aware of the present moment, all of that jazz is worthless to me personally. (I am not saying it is of no value to anyone)

What I practice revolves a profoundly deep state of trance and suspended animation, because that is what gets the results I am looking for.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #99243 by

“You know how in meditation we slow down our breathing and our pulse? It’s because we move more and more into our yin consciousness.” -The Magus of Java

“What is actual meditation like?” I asked.

“There are no thoughts and there is no sense of time. If you are thinking, you are not in meditation. If you are aware of yourself, you are also not in meditation.

You must become like a baby in the womb, there and yet not there.

Meditation is like the borderline between sleep and waking, between consciousness and unconsciousness.”

“Very difficult.”

“Not so difficult, Kosta. You stayed in meditation for long periods when you were an embryo and a baby, and you pass through it now each time you drift off to sleep. You just have to
remember how.”

-The Magus Of Java

Countless different Qigong and meditation exercises exist. All teach the basic idea of using consciousness to go into the emptiness where thoughts ultimately cease or greatly diminish and sensory connections to our bodies fade. We and everything in our world are all from the emptiness and will go back to the emptiness. It is a state of pure energy where we are one with the universe. Our bodies naturally direct us to the emptiness. When we get sick, for example, the first place we go is not to the hospital, but to bed. When we sleep, we feel relaxed and peaceful. We bring our mind and body into the emptiness. Everybody does this automatic meditation without noticing it during sleep and periods of deep relaxation. Most of our daily energy blockages are opened and resolved in this way The deeper you go into the emptiness, the faster your body will heal. By practicing Qigong we go into the emptiness where we effortlessly balance the Yin and Yang, the female and male energy. As the balance of energy comes back, the body heals.

-Chunyi Lin creator of Spring Forest Qigong

Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #99271 by
I've heard it said, for Christians, that prayer is when you speak to God and meditation is when you listen.
It can work the same for non-Christians by replacing the words "God" and "prayer" with whatever suits you. I've even heard it said that meditation is listening to the divine within yourself.

I think meditation should be an enjoyable experience, not something you feel the need to practice (work on) or perfect. Just let it be whatever it is - and it will be different every time. That's the beauty of it, I think.. Sitting (or standing, or laying, etc.) and not knowing exactly what this new experience will bring you, and not caring so much about what you're doing and how you're doing it. Just breathing and listening...

More
11 years 1 month ago #99406 by Whyte Horse
I don't meditate or pray anymore. I just walk the path and life is one big meditation.

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #99408 by
To me, it is the moment in which I find peace. A feeling of being contempt and a moment clarity. It's a time to either just be blank or a time to think on serious matters; an excellent time to solve problems.
It can also be a time of reflection about the things around you. In my opinion you don't have to be sitting, cross-legged with your eyes closed to meditate.
In the end however, meditation is what you make of it. Meditation is a personal thing so each person has their own perspective on it.

:) Happy Meditation Everyone

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #99415 by
Personally I like to meditate in the morning before I go to work. Some times with mantra or exercise. Then I have all day to reflect on what has come to me. I also pray to god and give him praise for allowing me the oppertunity to walk the path and giving me incite on what direction to go. To me meditation is not just a part oflife it is a way of life and just like all other things in life you either embrace it or set it aside. Just remember if you set it aside that doesnt mean you should be done with it. You have to get back up on the horse if you plan to ride in style on this journey called life. Good journey my friends, live well.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi