Martial Arts for those over age 55

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92262 by
So far I'm real hasppy with Qi Gong. I have a daily routine down to 20-22 min then I add a little core strength for 5 min at the end. I also have a 15-20 min routine for wk. I can see myself doing this as I get older. It's gently progressive and as progressive as I wish to be. Very cool.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #92264 by
Sounds good. :)
From Qigong it's not far to Tai Chi, if you want to add some self-defence applications later...

... like in 30-40 years or so, when you get bored. B)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #98380 by
Greetings Each Bows

I'm 55 this Thursday lol Practice 5 hours a week Judo and Tai Jutsu mostly. Long as you keep reasonably fit and healthy and you are safe to practice age is not a barrier . The only barrier in any Martial Art in my opinion is the self :)

Yours in the Spirit of Budo

Mike

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #100642 by
I may not be 55, but I can only recommend Aikido. Infact on of my trainers is 72 so it is very possible to start at your age. Also it is pure self defence and not an "aggressive" martial art. You should definetly try it, it not only focuses on the exercise but also on the spiritual part. Or at least in Germany we do.
MTFBWY

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi

Notice: SessionHandler::gc(): ps_files_cleanup_dir: opendir(/var/lib/php/sessions) failed: Permission denied (13) in /var/www/html/libraries/vendor/joomla/session/src/Storage/NativeStorage.php on line 135