Martial Arts for those over age 55

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #82336 by
Are there any folks over 55 yrs old practicing a Martial Art and if so which ones?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82645 by
Is anyone here 55 or older? :(

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82647 by
I am not, Rickie. I am "only" 42. However, I am a practitioner of Tai Chi and Qi Gong and can, with certainty, recommend it for those over 55.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82649 by

KageKeeper wrote: I am not, Rickie. I am "only" 42. However, I am a practitioner of Tai Chi and Qi Gong and can, with certainty, recommend it for those over 55.

Actually I've just started Qi Gong. I have sooooooooooo many minor achs and pains I'm hoping the core/energy/slow movement/stretch will help.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82650 by
I practice Tai Chi, I'm 47 so I'm getting up into that range. I like the slow movements of this art form because it stretches out the muscles and keeps me limber and it doesn't put stress on any of the joints.

I'm with KageKeeper, I highly recommend Tai Chi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82653 by

Rickie wrote: Actually I've just started Qi Gong. I have sooooooooooo many minor achs and pains I'm hoping the core/energy/slow movement/stretch will help.

They help immensely. Prior to starting I would often have very tense and painful back , shoulder and neck pains. Doing regular Tai Chi/Qi Gong reduces the occurrences to practically nothing, and when it does flare up, I know how to mitigate it.

Couple that with the Energy work that is inherent with this Art and its effects are truly "miraculous".

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82654 by
Oo..this is a good topic for me. I'm 42, but severely out of shape and very over-weight. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend something. Thanks :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago - 11 years 4 months ago #82656 by
You're all still kids! I got underware older than you all. :ohmy: :)

Correct me if I am wrong Tai Chi moves, while internally focused are more self defense moves and is younger than Qi. Qi Gong is an older art/practice and primarly an internal energy thing. I find the self defencs thoughts/images that come from the moves distracting from the peace of mind and gentleness I want to hold while moving.
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #82659 by
haha Rickie. That's a great image. :)

Tai Chi is an interesting art-form in that it depends on what the student wants to get out of it. Yes, absolutely, there is a martial art aspect to it, however, it is not necessary to learn the martial aspects of it. Tai Chi is wonderful, all by itself, for Energy work. I use it as a form of moving meditation as well. It is great to enter Wuji and perform the moves. Qi Gong is older, yes, and is primarily intended for internal Energy work/meditation.

I enjoy using both in conjunction with each other.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #92257 by
I am 30 and have experience with many different martial arts and have trained with people of all ages. Most martial arts can be praticed until high age or 'til the end, if you want to say so. ;)

I cannot say this for competitive martial sports like MMA, Thai boxing etc., but as a Jedi you would want to stick to the more spiritual martial arts anyway.

It is important to always be aware of your age. Every age needs its own special approach. Your're 55+ and that's great. But physically you would want to take it all a bit more slowly. In the beginning be careful whith rolling, falling and any sorts of wrestling or joint locking. Injuries heal slower the older you are. Once your body has gained more strength and flexibility again by frequent training, "there is no stopping you". ;)

Any good trainer will tell you the same I guess.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi