Light Saber Training (so to speak)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74613 by
Boxing, TKD, Fencing, Kendo... Yea, martial sports. A martial art that does not allow for improvisation and limits you to a few number of "acceptable" moves is losing its martial in favor of the art. Most eastern systems have lost most of what made them useful in favor of teaching to the masses and scoring points.

You don't have to break your friends neck in practice, but you can still use the hold. You don't have to gouge eyes out, but you can get finger placement. Point is, when you make all those concessions to safety you lose a lot of its essence.

As far as the SCA rules goes, I am copying from the SCA Marsal handbook:
10. Deliberately striking an opponent’s head, limbs, or body with a shield, weapon haft, or any part of the body is forbidden.
11. Intentionally tripping an opponent is prohibited.
12. Grasping an opponent's person, shield, weapon's striking surface, or bow/crossbow is prohibited.
Page 8

1. Only weapons approved for thrusting may be used for that purpose. Feinting as if to thrust with a weapon not approved for that purpose is prohibited. Before any bout where a thrusting weapon is used, the opponent and marshals shall be informed that such a weapon is on the field, and the thrusting tip shall be shown to the opponent.
2. The blade of an opponent’s weapon may not be grasped at any time, nor may it be trapped in contact with the fighter’s body as a means of preventing the opponent’s use of the weapon. Armored hands may grasp the haft of an opponent’s weapon
page 9

Now, the grasping thing, i am not saying someone can grab an incoming blow with their hands, gloved or ungloved, but the grasping, trapping, disarming of an opponents weapon was essential to medieval combat and is show in every medieval fectbuch.

As far as the 180 degree thing, that must have been a house rule where i was. I am in ky so that was like meradas or something.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74615 by
Also, somehow, back in the day, they were able to train, practice and impalement these techniques effectively with out killing each other on a regular basis. Maybe it speaks to our society, that we are afraid of a few bumps and bruises.

Then again, i remember when kids were allowed to actually play out side and only had to come home when it started getting dark.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 7 months ago #74621 by Jestor
Shoot...

Does that make me a LARP martial artist?

We don't really strike to the "ahem"s...

I pull my punches and kicks...

Don't throw anyone full force....

Oh No!

Am I a LARP parent?

I don't really know what I'm doing, although I'm trying my best...

I ground them, but often give in....

I ask for them to do stuff, and when they don't, I do it myself...

Maybe, to some degree, we are all role playing, and my life is "live action" (as the Turtle Man says...)

Maybe... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
11 years 7 months ago #74623 by Garwa Mayharr
The SCA is fine and every thing if you have the money and can deal with some vary arrogant people. However if you don't I would suggest, Foam Fighting wargaming clubs. Much fun there... But if you really want to learn weapon techniques, I would take up kendo and aikido, but once again they cost some money.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74641 by
I'm just going to say this here since it's a thread about lightsabers and swords (this is not aimed at anyone on this thread in particular but just anyone that might read it)

I just wanted to say (since people do ask) that: No. Learning how to fight with swords is not official Temple policy... :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74653 by
andy:
i recently moved to meridias downin alabama. and one thing i have noticed is that they 1: dont hit hard at all. 2: they like shots that look "prety". where as the kingdom of the west has no finess and is all about hit as hard as you can. " ogg smash" i was in the kingdom of drachenwald (europe) for some years, and we always practiced disarming, using weapons and shields to stop, then trap the blade wether against our body or not. I will say that out there they really go for authentic. and when the event is in a castle, they should. i think to truly master sword play you need to study several styles. i have done really well in the sca and am curently looking to expand my knowledge.also i want to say thank you for taking the time to debate with me :) its refreshing. the people i work with dont debate, either they close up or they just say i guess your right.

More
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #74654 by Wescli Wardest
I think that it would be a very good idea to take a martial arts class. There are many benefits besides just the weapons training they have to offer; and, one could learn a “style” and way of thinking for that style. I also feel that we should not discredit any other form of “fighting” or physical activity just because we may not see the validity of it or that it may offer.

I have studied a few different schools and practiced with people from all walks of life and all different backgrounds of “training.” One thing that I have noticed is that it has given me a unique perspective on how people react to different threats and deal with varying situations. Also, being exposed to so many different “things” has given me a confidence I might now have of achieved otherwise. I feel that studying one thing is a good place to start, but you cannot limit yourself to that one thing… otherwise one runs the risk of having their knowledge become ridged and unable to adapt to the situation.

Monastic Order of Knights
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by Wescli Wardest.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #74655 by

b.murphy wrote: andy:
i recently moved to meridias downin alabama. and one thing i have noticed is that they 1: dont hit hard at all. 2: they like shots that look "prety". where as the kingdom of the west has no finess and is all about hit as hard as you can. " ogg smash" i was in the kingdom of drachenwald (europe) for some years, and we always practiced disarming, using weapons and shields to stop, then trap the blade wether against our body or not. I will say that out there they really go for authentic. and when the event is in a castle, they should. i think to truly master sword play you need to study several styles. i have done really well in the sca and am curently looking to expand my knowledge.also i want to say thank you for taking the time to debate with me :) its refreshing. the people i work with dont debate, either they close up or they just say i guess your right.

If you were integrating the historical techniques into your fighting, then you are part of the solution. If i was you, i would try to change things in your area to include what was being done in Europe. You should take it further and integrate open hand techniques and grappling. These techniques can be implemented safely and effectively in a competitive environment.

If your group likes things to be showy, break out the historical manuals. There are all kinds of "flashy" moves that are combat effective.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 7 months ago #74658 by RyuJin
Believe it or not larp fighting is still real fighting...as you're still fighting for your character's survival..any fight for survival is a real fight..whether for larp surival or actual survival, it requires speed, agility, precision, and skill....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago - 11 years 7 months ago #74665 by

RyuJin:
Believe it or not larp fighting is still real fighting...as you're still fighting for your character's survival..any fight for survival is a real fight..whether for larp surival or actual survival, it requires speed, agility, precision, and skill....

Nothing againgst larping(I like to do it myself sometime), but larp fighting is very different. True it puts you in to that survival mode idea, but if all you know is larp fighting, that is not going to save you against...anything really and it's not going to put you in to real survival mode.
Last edit: 11 years 7 months ago by . Reason: Added reference to quote

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi