Barefoot running

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #55267 by
Replied by on topic Re: Barefoot running
i love my vibrams five fingers i have three pair one for the house oe for the water and one to run in love them all my balance improving have to try barefoot running in the woods and see how they perform.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74669 by
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted here but I just wanted to share with you that I've managed to achieve my goal!

Last sunday I did the Dam tot dam loop (a 10 mile / 16 km run) barefoot and managed to finish in 1 hour and 13 minutes.
Imagine last year I did it with shoes on and finished in 1 hour and 9 minutes and you might understand I am completly satisfied with the result :)

I can honestly say I would not have achieved this if I wouldn´t have found TOTJO.

It is thanks to all the material and wisdom provided here that I've managed to create the focus and discipline to go trough with this.

So this is my way of thanking all of you for inspiring me to achieve my goal.

To bakc my storie up, here's a pic of me running:

http://www.aktiefoto.nl/evenementen/20120923-damloop/originelen/dtd12-61594.jpg

The weird face is because of a blister thats starting to bug me :P

Im currently training for a half marathon in januari, but I'll try to come around a bit more often from now on.

see you guys around!

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 7 months ago #74670 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Barefoot running
Nice pic!

And congrats on the finish!!

I hope you are back for a bit...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74671 by
That's a fantastic achievement! :)

Congratulations and yes I hope to see you around here more :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74680 by
Great Job! Congratulations on the run.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 7 months ago #74683 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Barefoot running
Congratulations!

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
11 years 7 months ago #74685 by Reacher
Replied by Reacher on topic Re: Barefoot running
Good run there, brother!
mini
I just noticed this thread today...I see a lot of people with questions about the minimalist running movement. I run quite a bit, and have tried barefoot, Vibram Fivefingers, and Merrell Barefoot shoes. I do a lot of trail running, so straight barefoot and the Vibrams offered too little protection on rocks and such. I still use my Vibrams, but mostly as shoes to wear when swimming in rivers and lakes and I want a quick transition to land or where I'll be wading and swimming. Like canoeing, kayaking, and such. The Merrells offer more foot protection while maintaining minimalist running principles. Also, it's a single shoe, not separated digits like the Vibrams. I started out lifting weights and doing light jogs and short sprints in them. I didn't notice much of an issue in transition until I started going 5+ miles in them. My calves took a little beating in the transition, but I was able to run 8+ a few times a week in them. I may have pushed a bit too hard in them because the day following one of the long burns I was doing some sprinting (like an idiot) and twinged my calf slightly. Like Knarf, it felt like a cramp that got worse over time and took about 3-4 weeks of complete rest to heal up. I tried to push through it or just take a week or so, to no avail. I'm just now shaking the rust off and am ready to test them out again. This time I'll be a little more conservative with the stress abuse on my lower extremities.

I will say this, the minimalist running made my feet, ankles, and calves feel incredibly strong once the transition period was over. Like my feet had muscles. All the tendons and ligaments took some time to tighten up, but it was worth it. I look forward to doing it again.

Jedi Knight

The self-confidence of the warrior is not the self-confidence of the average man. The average man seeks certainty in the eyes of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence. The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eyes and calls that humbleness. The average man is hooked to his fellow men, while the warrior is hooked only to infinity.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74787 by
Congrats! And interesting topic. I find that I run quicker and farther barefoot than with shoes. Don't you just feel lighter and more energetic (kind of like flying) barefoot as compared to shoes?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 6 months ago #75117 by
It does feel different. Just having way more feeling. Feeling each different kind of surface, each stone or twig or wet ground, it just makes the experience totally different.

I don't feel any lighter tho (and my scale agrees with me!) just different...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #87030 by
Hey,Barefoot running is also known as "natural running"is the act of running without footwear. Throughout record, running barefoot was the organic way to run,Barefoot operating became well-known in the latter half of the Twentieth century.Good Luck!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi