Kroviej's lightsaber question

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43782 by
May I ask do any Jedi in this order practice lighsaber skills ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43784 by
Replied by on topic Re: Kroviej's lightsaber question
I do not practice "lightsaber" skills due to the fact that lightsabers do not exist and therefore have no use in my personal life. I do practice sword play though, and I guess that if lightsabers were to come into existence then I would take my sword background into practicing with a lightsaber.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43792 by
I would assume Kroviej25 was refering to replicas.

I own a replica and occasionally spend some time learning saber spins. There are definatly clubs/schools out there that teach lightsaber combat if you're looking to learn. And youtube of course:P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43797 by
probably true, i know theres a school that teaches swashbuckling like that of a pirate :woohoo:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #43798 by
Right I understood that he meant replicas and not a real lightsaber, my response was more in the sense that I don't see much point practicing how to use a lightsaber since it isn't real, just like I would find no use going to a shooting range with a plastic pistol.

If any the use I could find would be more of a meditative or personal use, as in an exercise or calming effect, but for the use of combat or self defense I see it as being pretty useless.

Sorry if this was not clear originally.

Also, I don't want to sound rude, only trying to explain why I feel your time could be better spent training in a different discipline.
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by . Reason: Clarification

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43800 by
I'm interested in finding someone to practice with in the Seattle area. If anyone knows about such a place, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
DurgaDas

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43807 by
i bellieve skills in lightsaber combat could be applyed to swords and staffs just because ther not real dont mean one cant train with one the same way u would with wood swords i no of a dojo that teachs lightsaber combat and teach you how to apply it to swords for self defense

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43808 by
I could see it being applicable to staffs maybe because staffs can do damage from any side of the weapon, although a staff is a blunt trauma weapon where as a theoretical lightsaber would be a slashing and cutting weapon, the sword is a hard one because the sword counterpart to a lightsaber would be like a rapier most likely, but very few schools do formal training with a sword like that, most do fencing, which wouldn't cross with a lightsaber skill set well in my eyes, or katana, which is a one sided weapon and thus very different then a lightsaber. I don't know, I don't see it crossing over very well, that's all.

More
12 years 6 months ago #43810 by Adder
The combat that is unexpected, finding you unprepared, is already slipping out of your control - so makeshift weapons should always be a consideration. A straight-ish piece of thin rod-like material could be pretty common like broom handles, sticks, bars etc, and against an unarmed aggressor might help leverage some more defensive options. If they counter with wielding the same makeshift type of device then you might find most of the saber techniques could become applicable.... otherwise I think not so much, but it looks kewl and I think is great for spatial and kinesthetic training.

I've got a great looking hilt and practise lightsaber techniques also! I havent gotten around to buying the internals and blade yet. I am going to try and integrate it into my renewed interest in QiGong to tie it into meditative efforts to power up my connection to the Force, and I've been told Tai Chi has some sword work so I'm going to look into that as well.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43813 by
Right I agree that it would be good to be trained to use a makeshift weapon like that, but I feel like staff training would go over better with a stick, broom handle, etc, than lightsaber training, because to train in a lightsaber correctly, would be to train with a weapon that is used to slice cut and main, not a blunt force weapon like a staff or a broom handle.

I do agree that it would be good for spatial and just overall fitness, but I do not see it as being a useful and effective thing to train in for combat, at least not in todays world. Maybe if lightsabers become real than yes, but not now, not in my eyes, I think your time can be invested better.

Tai chi does have some sword work btw adder, you should definitely look into it if you are interested!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi