Kroviej's lightsaber question

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43821 by
Replied by on topic Re: Kroviej's lightsaber question
Actually it wouldnt be bad to do as a meditative feeling. Ive been a student and teacher of the Martial arts for over 30yrs. Not all is for combat, they might have combat applications but that doesnt mean it cant also be used for other purposes. Look at fencing, I did this in school a long time ago. There really is not any real world applications on it. But people still practice it.

In my style of karate we use Kama (sickles), Tonfa, Sai, nunchuka, Bo (staff) and I am learning the Eku Kai (boat oar). The only one you might see a person use in real world is the Bo. Cause one can find a broom stick handle or something as a defensive weapon.

I've also practiced Iado on my own which is the art of drawing of the sword and some kendo techniques. I do all this for meditation reasons. The swashbuckle school i mentioned is true and I can see why people would take it. It looks fun and it gets people to doing things.

MTFBWYA!
brian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 6 months ago #43823 by
Yeah see I can agree with you on all of that, I don't want anyone to think I'm totally dismissing it as being useful because I'm not I am sure there are uses and benefits from training in lightsaber. I was strictly talking about it in a combat or defense situation being pretty useless.

Ultimately though I feel like you can train in any discipline out there and there will be great benefits from it for the mind, soul, overall body. It's always a good thing to train regardless of the discipline.

More
12 years 6 months ago #43846 by Adder
Hmmm I wonder if electromagnetic blades (rod) could be produced. Given enough power and switchable pole it could make for some non-traditional sword techniques. You'd have blades resisting or attracting each other and a strong enough field might mean you could use the blade to move metal objects without touching them in certain circumstances. Just thinking out loud again but magnetism is a fundamental physical force so it might have some relevance to a broader Force and if that could be incorporated into the spiritual and ceremonial sword practise it might add more legitamcy (not that its needed) to including such things into the spiritually focused Jediism.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44418 by
Training with swords to simulate lightsabers is fine and dandy, but hardly a good substitute, I dont mean to sound rude but the blade of a lightsaber is completely weightless, you would need a whole different kind of fighting style with it, and a lightsaber can cut through anything, so you would have to train for years to avoid self inflicted injuries

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #44421 by Adder

Gedrith wrote: Training with swords to simulate lightsabers is fine and dandy, but hardly a good substitute, I dont mean to sound rude but the blade of a lightsaber is completely weightless, you would need a whole different kind of fighting style with it, and a lightsaber can cut through anything, so you would have to train for years to avoid self inflicted injuries

I guess it depends on 'why' the person is training. If it's to be able to wield an actual lightsaber then your right because of those reasons (and also since lightsaber's do not exist!). If the person's intention through training is something different though, then it might not matter that the blade has weight nor cannot cut effortlessly. On the starwars.com site it says "To carry a lightsaber is an example of incredible skill and confidence, dexterity and attunement to the Force" and I personally think sword/sabre training is one way to become better attuned to the Force as well.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44422 by
Yeah training in lightsabers is fine and dandy, but hardly a good substitute for a sword ;). I mean swords are real and exist, so I think we should be able to agree that training with a sword is more practical and applicable than training in a lightsaber. Also people that train with swords definitely train hard not to hit themselves with their own sword gedrith, so I don't see why you think that a swordsman would chop himself up with a lightsaber that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, plus if you watch the actual lightsaber forms from the movies, they are all totally similar and based off of other weapon forms.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44439 by
I know Coryduran but my point was that if a weightless lightsaber can cut through anything effortlessly it would be much easier to lop your arm off than with a heavy metal sword that takes some degree of effort. Sorry if you were confused.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44443 by
I wasn't confused I just disagree with your point. A well trained swordsman would be able to use a lightsaber pretty well without too much additional training. That's how I feel.

More
12 years 5 months ago - 12 years 5 months ago #44454 by Adder

Gedrith wrote: I know Coryduran but my point was that if a weightless lightsaber can cut through anything effortlessly it would be much easier to lop your arm off than with a heavy metal sword that takes some degree of effort. Sorry if you were confused.

They are a devestating close in weapon idea. One mistake and you've sliced yourself in half!!!! I think the practise in real terms for Jediism best represents a meditative human kinetic and spatial physical regime like Tai Chi etc, and it just happens to have some limited combative potential in the real world as a sword technique but the kinesiology aspect and spatial awareness helps improve fighting ability in all disciplines.

Plus the fact the blade lights up means sparring can be done in a lower light room which further tests ones sense of balance and awareness.

Last edit: 12 years 5 months ago by Adder.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 5 months ago #44479 by RyuJin
i use a blindfold to work on my awareness...by robbing myself of sight i have to depend on my other senses picking up the slack...

as to a trained swordsman using a lightsaber...i'd have to say that no matter their skill level they would still need some time to get accustomed to the lack of weight in the blade...of course higher skilled people would need less time to adapt but they'd still have to adapt regardless...i've trained with fencing swords(rapiers, etc) broadswords, sabers, katanas, etc...and they all act differently due to weight

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi