Lightsabers/Swords

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 week ago #350981 by
Replied by on topic Lightsabers/Swords
I use different methods. I’ve taken classes and workshops in the past, and will in the future as soon as the world starts spinning again. I use a mirror to self correct, and objects as targets. I also use Visualization - also known as mental imagery and rehearsal in sports. I did have a partner to spar with but haven’t in quite sometime. But I’m not going to let that hamper me.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 week ago #350982 by

Kohadre wrote:

Jcteleschi wrote: You're right and I need to study more.
But someday I'll need to fight,to protect the people and I'll always follow our code
Soresu it's a combat form just for defense, and when I'm fighting, someone can call the police
I think that's the best way to win a combat, right?

Hopefully I can impart some life wisdom with my answer.

I have been throughout my life in many fights, some of which have involved weapons (knife, gun, etc).

As a consequence, I have multiple scars across my body due to cuts/slashes and other injuries received in these fights. I am fortunate to be alive and in relatively good health given the stupid and emotionally charged decisions I made regarding these conflicts. I am even more fortunate, that nobody has died as a direct result of those outcomes either.

To add more detail onto the above, I have trained throghout my life and since a very early age in multiple forms of martial arts. I routinely train in knife / disarming drills, and have throughout my life as well.

Despite all that experience, I still sustained injuries.

As far as it concerns soresu, shii-cho, or any other of the Star Wars lightsaber combat forms. I advise you to read this following very carefully and memorize it.

LIGHTSABER FORMS IN A REAL FIGHT WILL GET YOU KILLED

The fancy, spinny, snazzy BS that you see on the movie screen is there soley for the reason of selling tickets. It has no place in a real fight, whatsoever. Turning your back to an opponent will get you stabbed. Spinning your blade around will result in it being knocked / cut from your hand, and you getting stabbed. Trying to deflect an opponents blade with your blade will get you stabbed.

If you want to learn, and train in fighting with those kind of weapons - your best and most advised course of action is to enroll in some form of tactical combat course with either retired law enforcement or military.

Learn from my mistakes, and do not proceed as originally intended.

One last parting statement, and this is all true.

As a child in grade school, I would often horse around with friends after school. Normal behavior, all the boys did.

Unfortunately, our school had that particular afternoon hosted and "anti-bullying" seminar. Good message, good intention, absolutely the wrong f-ing time.

Per the norm, me and my friends were roughing around after school; pushing and shoving, etc. One particular vigilante decided he was going to break up the fight and "set us straight". While in hindsight I respect him and his motivation to do good, unfortunately the moment he decided to place himself between me and my friend in question; I was in the middle of throwing a punch with the intention and aim to MISS my friend. While missing my friend, the punch now ended up connecting with the vigilante and got him directly in the mouth.

I don't know exactly how much damage was done, but I do remember them dragging him away; blood pooling down his face while he was screaming bloody murder.

Did I feel horrible about it? Yes. Was it his fault for intervening in a situation which didn't warrant it? YES.

So when I advise you in the above post to be careful about charging in with the mindset of a liberator; I'm talking from life experience.

MTFBWY

Kohadre and Jcteleschi:
Yes, the lightsaber forms are for Theater/cinematography. Even the historically Accurate forms of swordplay are for sport competitions like HEMA. Since they are for sport competitions there are many moves in historical longsword that are illegal because they are too damaging. Using sword work whether it’s theatrical or historically accurate is really intended to get the body and mind working together in order To accomplish goals. Even if someone became extremely good at historical sword techniques we don’t walk around with swords anymore. If people are interested in self-defense techniques the best course of action would be to take classes from an accredited school. But with modern self-defense the first rule is not getting yourself into the situation to begin with. That said learning how to defend yourself and to protect others is perfectly fine. The chances of getting into a physical altercation is probably far less than finding someone who needs help because their car broke down or some other situation arose. If you want to be self-reliant and be able to help other learn those skill. In today’s world that would mean Being prepared for breaking down alongside of the road, or natural disaster so having a good smart phone and being able to summon help would of course be a good idea. Or become the help. Get training in how to be a first responder.being prepared for breaking down alongside of the road, or natural disasters so having a good smart phone and being able to summon help would of course be a good idea. Or become the help. Get training in how to be a first responder

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
4 years 1 week ago - 4 years 1 week ago #350997 by
You're right
Sorry for my ignorance and I'll train to help people with mathematic! I'll be great!
Thank you to help me!
I'll train with my lightsaber just for fun,concentration and for self-discipline.
May the Force be with you and thank you so much!
Last edit: 4 years 1 week ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi