Lightsabers/Swords

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350942 by
Replied by on topic Lightsabers/Swords
Scott M is my teacher. So far Its been vis Internet classes but I’m looking forward to his workshops once they start again. I know about the video of him breaking an arrow with a sword. It was interesting and I would love to practice that with nerf arrows/bullets. I did try it with nerf bullets and after a few tries was able to block them. It’s a fun skill to work on, timing is everything.

I’ve tried a few different styles but the Jian seems to be the best fit for my body mechanics. It’s the most comfortable to learn so far. The deep lunges of Olympic fencing were not agreeing with me much (old injury).

The primary reason why I reached out to this group is because I liked the IP. The approach seemed the most mature out of the groups I have looked into so far. I also found a statement that you don’t need to be a Jedi to join. I’m not sure if that will affect getting knighted or progressing. But what I hope to gain is Community, and discussing different topics with people who have a similar interest/common archetypes.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350943 by
That is very interesting. When I’m practicing sword work I keep in mind the “plains” (side, front, above the head, etc.). Percision is one of the things I have been working on as well. To get the point of the saber to end in a very specific spot as I’m spinning, or to crossover, etc. It can take as long or longer to get a good level of control as it did to learn the move. I’m working on the weave (single and double). But with a real focus of getting the gilts lined up correctly - which should help with knocking them and getting that wonderful staff-like illusion in the double weave when they crossover to the side.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350956 by
Hello there!
But how do you train?
Do you have someone that trains with you or just practice some movements?
Thank you!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350958 by

Jcteleschi wrote: Hello there!
But how do you train?
Do you have someone that trains with you or just practice some movements?
Thank you!

The most important thing I think is realizing why you want to saber train. Is it to do showy moves? Choreography? Competitions? Free style? Once you figure that out you can hone in on videos or find a suitable partner even.

If you are solo, you can use videos. Youtube is full of instructional videos, some of them from members here.

One of my partners and I both have sabers. We go out back and duel as our joint workout 2-3 times a week. I've had some fencing training and this partner doesn't but it doesn't matter to much. Just take your saber or whatever else you substitute one with and just go at it. Be sure to wear gloves (hard knuckled ones are best) and set some ground rules based on protective equipment like no groin shots at all or head shots only if you've got a helmet. use common sense and just have fun.

You can use a park (observe any rule like closing times), a backyard, or even a living room.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350959 by
I'm training to fight.
I know, our way is the peace,but sometimes we have to fight.
I'm training soresu,and I'm doing the movements, so, in a fight,does it works?
Because I have no one to help me,I'm solo (not han) and I'm scared if that will work.
May the force be with you my friend, always

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350961 by
I want to help the people that I love and the people around me, the innocents.
I think that's the idea of our order,right?
Help and protect everyone

More
3 years 11 months ago #350965 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Lightsabers/Swords

Jcteleschi wrote: I'm training to fight.
I know, our way is the peace,but sometimes we have to fight.
I'm training soresu,and I'm doing the movements, so, in a fight,does it works?
Because I have no one to help me,I'm solo (not han) and I'm scared if that will work.
May the force be with you my friend, always

Deter rather than engage
engage rather than enrage;

Deflect rather than defend
defend rather than offend;

Injure rather than maim
maim rather than kill;

Warning: Spoiler!

The intelligent know how to fight, but the wise know how to end a fight before one begins. Take care when rushing into conflict with the mindset and intent of a vindicator or liberator. Those who appear to be in conflict may in fact be simply roughhousing in good spirits; however an unexpected intrusion could transmute that into violence.

Those in good spirited but heated debate, may be driven into extended quarrel by the inflammatory comments of an outside party.

If there are individuals clearly crying for help, or otherwise indicating their need for immediate assistance; by all means head the call to action, but taking heed of the warning at the opening of my post. Also use great care and discretion when determining the extent of and potential lethality of any force used.

Or, for a TL;DR version. "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson.

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
3 years 11 months ago #350973 by
You're right and I need to study more.
But someday I'll need to fight,to protect the people and I'll always follow our code
Soresu it's a combat form just for defense, and when I'm fighting, someone can call the police
I think that's the best way to win a combat, right?

More
3 years 11 months ago #350975 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Lightsabers/Swords

You're right and I need to study more.
But someday I'll need to fight,to protect the people and I'll always follow our code
Soresu it's a combat form just for defense, and when I'm fighting, someone can call the police

Depends who you ask.

Some would say the best way to is not have any enemies - there's a few theories on how to not have any enemies (some people might consider themselves your enemies, but if they lack the will, ability and resources to mount an effective attack, then they're unhappy people with aspirations of power - not enemies)

I don't really ever expect to use fencing in a "fight" - it would be an interesting series of events to have me, a sword, and a violent opponent in the same place at the same time. Most likely incredibly poor planning and awareness of my environment on my part.

I don't know your world, perhaps lightsabre inspired combat is a viable option for a kinetic encounter - but if it's not, see it for what it is, an exercise in learning a skill, no more or less relevant than learning to sew clothing or make clay pots....

More
3 years 11 months ago #350977 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Lightsabers/Swords

Jcteleschi wrote: You're right and I need to study more.

Hopefully I can impart some life wisdom with my answer.

I have been throughout my life in many fights, some of which have involved weapons (knife, gun, etc).

As a consequence, I have multiple scars across my body due to cuts/slashes and other injuries received in these fights. I am fortunate to be alive and in relatively good health given the stupid and emotionally charged decisions I made regarding these conflicts. I am even more fortunate, that nobody has died as a direct result of those outcomes either.

To add more detail onto the above, I have trained throghout my life and since a very early age in multiple forms of martial arts. I routinely train in knife / disarming drills, and have throughout my life as well.

Despite all that experience, I still sustained injuries.

As far as it concerns soresu, shii-cho, or any other of the Star Wars lightsaber combat forms. I advise you to read this following very carefully and memorize it.

LIGHTSABER FORMS IN A REAL FIGHT WILL GET YOU KILLED

The fancy, spinny, snazzy BS that you see on the movie screen is there soley for the reason of selling tickets. It has no place in a real fight, whatsoever. Turning your back to an opponent will get you stabbed. Spinning your blade around will result in it being knocked / cut from your hand, and you getting stabbed. Trying to deflect an opponents blade with your blade will get you stabbed.

If you want to learn, and train in fighting with those kind of weapons - your best and most advised course of action is to enroll in some form of tactical combat course with either retired law enforcement or military.

Learn from my mistakes, and do not proceed as originally intended.

One last parting statement, and this is all true.

As a child in grade school, I would often horse around with friends after school. Normal behavior, all the boys did.

Unfortunately, our school had that particular afternoon hosted and "anti-bullying" seminar. Good message, good intention, absolutely the wrong f-ing time.

Per the norm, me and my friends were roughing around after school; pushing and shoving, etc. One particular vigilante decided he was going to break up the fight and "set us straight". While in hindsight I respect him and his motivation to do good, unfortunately the moment he decided to place himself between me and my friend in question; I was in the middle of throwing a punch with the intention and aim to MISS my friend. While missing my friend, the punch now ended up connecting with the vigilante and got him directly in the mouth.

I don't know exactly how much damage was done, but I do remember them dragging him away; blood pooling down his face while he was screaming bloody murder.

Did I feel horrible about it? Yes. Was it his fault for intervening in a situation which didn't warrant it? YES.

So when I advise you in the above post to be careful about charging in with the mindset of a liberator; I'm talking from life experience.

MTFBWY

So long and thanks for all the fish

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi