OBE

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #286466 by
OBE was created by
I really wasn't sure where to go with this question. I was hoping to find some sort of medical information on this, or even talk to my doctor, but I'm not sure they'd take me seriously. Fortunately, people here are generally more open-minded.

This may sound strange, but lately I've been having a kind of Out of Body Experience over the last several days. It usually is only in the morning, and is limited to my hands. For example, when I'm washing my hands I suddenly get the sensation that my "hands" are floating above my physical hands. They still function normally but they feel detached. That's the only way I can explain it. Honestly it kind of scares me. I don't know what could be causing it, because I haven't been doing anything different or out of the ordinary in the past week.

Does anyone know anything about this kind of experience?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #286474 by Leah Starspectre
Replied by Leah Starspectre on topic OBE
Is it some kind of dissociative episode? If so, you really should see your doctor.

Or maybe stress? Stress can do weird things to your brain.

Is it triggered by anything you can identify? Does it go away on its own, or is there something you do to make it go away?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron

More
6 years 10 months ago #286475 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic OBE
If it concerns you and you have the means, I would seriously get checked out by a doctor.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor XD It could be a nerve issue, it could be a balance issue, it could be vertigo, those are just the things that come to mind. They're all kind of scary. Kind of reminds me of the whole ghost limb thing when someone looses a limb but they still feel it from time to time.

I will add to my credentials that I practice shamanism so I'm familiar with OBE, but feeling disjointed like that, I'd go right to a doctor still.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gisteron

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #286482 by
Replied by on topic OBE
As a side effect of certain medications I'm taking, I get neuropathy in my hands sometimes. It is probably not what you are experiencing, but it could be due to a similar mechanism in the body. The nerves in my hands, especially in my fingers, stop communicating with my brain and I get a general numbness or tingling sensation or no feeling at all sometimes. The numbness makes the sensation of touch seem like I am grabbing things with someone else's hands or that my fingers aren't actually attached to my hands at all. It is a bit disturbing sometimes, but at least I know why it is happening and what is causing it.

As Kit said, I would see a doctor. If there is anything I have learned from my own health journey, it is that you should never ignore your body. It is telling you something. Finding the cause now and treating it could prevent much worse issues down the road. At the very least, it will give you some peace of mind. I'll be sending good thoughts your way, and please let us know if you solve the mystery.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #286664 by
Replied by on topic OBE
I feel a little silly making such a big deal about this, because I thought it was something serious but it seems it's just a result of VR.

I purchased a virtual reality set for my computer about a month ago. I've been playing it pretty steadily. I realized yesterday that the sensation while playing a game in VR and seeing my virtual hands was sort of the opposite of what I've been experiencing in real life. In a game I'm manipulating a pair of hands with my controls. In real life it feels like my hands are being manipulated by someone else's controls.

I'm sure that if I quit VR completely, the sensation would eventually go away. But it cost a lot of money and it's a lot of fun, so that's not likely to happen. It was a scary feeling, until I realized the cause. Now it just seems like an odd side effect that I can live with and is actually kind of funny.

It's interesting because I know some people get motion sick from VR, which I don't, but this strange experience I've never heard of.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
6 years 10 months ago #286666 by ren
Replied by ren on topic OBE
You... might want to ditch that junk right away. Apparently there are people who think heroin is great fun too out there. I would not trust their feelings either on that matter or listen to any "oh but it cost so much I may as well use it" arguments.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

More
6 years 10 months ago #286667 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic OBE
There is a idea I share with few.

During my meditation and meditations I often sit so that I can't feel my hands and or my legs arms and such. A. Crowley says if you can master the son first don't go on lol . Alister Crowly had a very different way of thinking. Some of his stuff is in our very own library. Difrent people difrent ways.

Water often frees in ways we don't account for.
So medicly if there are consens see a doc. I think we all know we have to say that lol.
Pm box is always open for any additional questions friend.

It's funny we, I my self included mainly , I have a hard time believing what my eyes see. Instead of defining maybe we can bennifits as well... Along with, including ... Just explaining what just happen and simply log it as that.
Some times I like to look at the stars and NOT call them constellations, but stars.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden

More
6 years 10 months ago #286716 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic OBE

ren wrote: You... might want to ditch that junk right away. Apparently there are people who think heroin is great fun too out there. I would not trust their feelings either on that matter or listen to any "oh but it cost so much I may as well use it" arguments.

Heroin is addictive and demonstrably damaging to the body in numerous ways. It is also unsafe to acquire and to use because it is illegal in most places and thus unregulated. Just because a radically new form of entertainment takes some getting used to does not make it in any sense equivalent or comparable to a dangerous neurotoxin that destroys peoples minds and bodies. If a superficial similarity like "it takes getting used to" is enough for the junk to be ditched by your logic, I do expect you to argue against using newly purchased shoes or cars, too.

Streen, if you feel like using the device causes you distress, consider, as others said before me, to consult with a physician on the matter. I have neither experience nor expertise in the field, but I would suspect that perhaps a better pace of use might be in order. VR devices are, after all, designed to immerse, and just like with a pair of new shoes, while they do get more comfortable as you wear them, there is no need to push your feet to blisters until then.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
6 years 10 months ago #286718 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic OBE
Like Carlos, I get that feeling when meditating, but I also get something like it quite often when just moving my head from side to side as a result of positional vertigo. Its worth checking out as it can also be a sign of something more serious, I have an aunt with a benign tumor that experienced a similar sensation.

So unfortunately, it could be anything, get it checked out.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

More
6 years 10 months ago #286721 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic OBE
I'm with Brenna and Carlos here - also get that a lot during meditation. Not really OBE, just the feeling that my hands completely disappear. It's not the same as the feeling when your foot falls asleep etc.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi