OBE

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286724 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic OBE
The experience of body parts losing their sensation (during meditation) is usually a precursur to the entire body "disappearing" and is often the point in many meditations. The reason for this is the breathing deeper and slower causes the blood within the body to alkaline, thus you begin to lose sensation throughout the body...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Cyan Sarden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #286725 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic OBE

Zenchi wrote: The experience of body parts losing their sensation (during meditation) is usually a precursur to the entire body "disappearing" and is often the point in many meditations. The reason for this is the breathing deeper and slower cause the blood within the body to alkaline, thus you begin to lose sensation throughout the body...

it was scary initially but now I use it to measure how deep the meditation was - so I'm aiming for it :-)

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #286732 by
Replied by on topic OBE
I've always been intrigued with the idea of meditation and astral traveling.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #286856 by
Replied by on topic OBE
I'm surprised by the attention this got, but anyway...

Yeah I would never compare this issue to any addictive drug, and certainly not heroin. I know some people can get addicted to gaming, so I'm not doubting that, but I'm not addicted. It's just what I do in my spare time. I've been playing video games since my dad got a Commodore 64, which was over 30 years ago.

I digress. I still get that odd sensation now and then, but it doesn't scare me anymore, and I'm limiting my time playing certain games.

Thank you all for your advice and comments. I know a lot of you said I should see a doctor, but I already know what he'll say: "Stop playing VR". If the side effect I mentioned is the only one I get from playing, I'm willing to live with it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286863 by
Replied by on topic OBE

Cyan Sarden wrote:

Zenchi wrote: The experience of body parts losing their sensation (during meditation) is usually a precursur to the entire body "disappearing" and is often the point in many meditations. The reason for this is the breathing deeper and slower cause the blood within the body to alkaline, thus you begin to lose sensation throughout the body...

it was scary initially but now I use it to measure how deep the meditation was - so I'm aiming for it :-)

Uhh no... lol. :)

This is not due to blood alkalosis. In fact that is a state brought on by an imbalance between oxygen and Carbon dioxide in the blood, commonly through hyperventilation but also can be brought on by medical conditions like heart attack and it is not a good state to be in. If you have blood alkalosis you need to go to the hospital! :P

What is actually causing this feeling is a change in brain states. When you can calm your mind and move it from a Beta state to an Alpha state these sensations can occur, most likely due to brain glitches that can occur during these transitions. There are also such things as catatonic hypnosis (basically trance states) that can occur below the alpha state.

Now I don't mean to be a bitch here, just wanting to present some alternate information on this subject and please don't take my word for it. I'm not a doctor so do your own research by all means!!
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286867 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic OBE
I offer Alister Crowly for any one wanting to learn ... Difrent meditation types. It's in the library and when I first read his teachings I disliked him. Yet, here I am now years later promotion and encouraging others to try it . Dude pissed me off when he said if you can't sit right don't go on. Go on when you learned to sit . Lol way difrent guy way difrent results. There are many like him out there and many not like him.
Um this is a temple and I do encourage others to open their mind ! That being said hope you can see more than just ... Your right or your wrong . Hope you see the intention of encouragement from those who are friend. We are not alone in this place ! Be well and may what you find ... Lead you foward !never back...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286879 by Zenchi

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Cyan Sarden wrote:

Uhh no... lol. :)

This is not due to blood alkalosis. In fact that is a state brought on by an imbalance between oxygen and Carbon dioxide in the blood, commonly through hyperventilation but also can be brought on by medical conditions like heart attack and it is not a good state to be in. If you have blood alkalosis you need to go to the hospital! :P

What is actually causing this feeling is a change in brain states. When you can calm your mind and move it from a Beta state to an Alpha state these sensations can occur, most likely due to brain glitches that can occur during these transitions. There are also such things as catatonic hypnosis (basically trance states) that can occur below the alpha state.

Now I don't mean to be a bitch here, just wanting to present some alternate information on this subject and please don't take my word for it. I'm not a doctor so do your own research by all means!!

Brain glitches... Not quite...

Indeed, do your research, look Into how breathing changes the ph throughout the body, and how that as well Influences consciousness & brain states in general...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286888 by
Replied by on topic OBE

Zenchi wrote:

Indeed, do your research, look Into how breathing changes the ph throughout the body, and how that as well Influences consciousness & brain states in general...

Yes, I agree, of course it varies but if your to the point that you are in a state of alkalosis, you are not in a meditative state, you are in a state of distress.

EDIT: also one more note, a "brain glitch" is not a bad thing. Its a normal thing we all can experience.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #286890 by Zenchi

Kyrin Wyldstar wrote:

Zenchi wrote:

Yes, I agree, of course it varies but if your to the point that you are in a state of alkalosis, you are not in a meditative state, you are in a state of distress.

EDIT: also one more note, a "brain glitch" is not a bad thing. Its a normal thing we all can experience.

Not once did I state "alkalosis" and the blood beginning to alkaline is not the same thing, was simply referencing blood alkalinity and how its interconnected, so please stop being anal while derailing another perfectly good thread, geebus...

Passion, yet Serenity
TM- RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #286895 by
Replied by on topic OBE

Zenchi wrote:
Not once did I state "alkalosis" and the blood beginning to alkaline is not the same thing, was simply referencing the balancing of the ph so please stop being anal while derailing another perfectly good thread, geebus...

Calm down, brother, I didn't mean anything by it. Just wanted to clarify the point that blood PH has a normal range. Meditation will maintain that range if done correctly and you are correct that oxygen is increased in the blood during this time - equating to more alkaline. But when you go outside that range you could begin to experience strange physical symptoms such as tingling or losing sensation in your body. This can be due to panic attacks, hyperventilation, or heart attacks etc. Ever hear of the symptom of tingling in your arm or fingers during a hear attack? This is as you describe in your post, thus implying that you are going into alkalosis, a state of distress, which is a non-normal PH state. So I did not say you stated the term alkalosis but I felt your post might have implied alkalosis.

For safety reasons I posted my reply stating that if you are using techniques such as hyperventilation to achieve perceived OOBs that can potentially be detrimental to your heath. (even though I know certain traditions actually practice such things) That was all I was trying to get at. I was not trying to derail a thread. In fact are we not still talking about causes of OOB and those associated effects in meditation? You seem to have this habit of claiming derailment whenever someone says something you don't agree with and that's not cool.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi