Why we meditate, and practices to help.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #282731 by
Meditation calms and soothe the mind from other thoughts and things that try to "open" us up. Meditation is an ancient tradition that has been done for many years, people use it for when they need to think on one thing and when their emotions are taking over. Good way to help your mind is to...
  • Put on classical music, studies show classical music has a good vibration on the mind that makes you have a feeling of calmness and in a state of peace.
  • Don't just do the crossed legs and hand turtles. Try many different forms and find the one you find the most relaxing.

thanks for reading comment if it helped or didn't!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #282890 by Manu
What if I am already very relaxed, and mostly undisturbed by emotion. Does meditation still help, for focus and goal setting?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #282897 by

Magnus Staar wrote: What if I am already very relaxed, and mostly undisturbed by emotion. Does meditation still help, for focus and goal setting?

There are many different forms with many different purposes. I seldom use meditation to relax.

More
6 years 10 months ago #282905 by Adder
I personally categorize three modes of base level, inwards focus; meditation, visualization and contemplation. Them each representing the most effort to relax within the tendency of mind to be placed in; present, future or past, respectively. Luckily they each seem to work different parts of the mind/brain with different results, which not only means they can run in parallel easily, but also can then apply their results to each other to lift each of `em - but also taken to higher awareness modes outside of that relaxation, and taken into action and complexity. To be brief I'd say the benefits of how I define meditation might be clearer thoughts and more self control, visualization as increased capacity for imagined detail and therefore more open to be curious, and contemplation seems to be more open minded and open to connections. There are though ton's of ways to meditate down to different modes of relaxed awareness but I'd say the single purpose of the whole excuse of an exercise is to redefine the relationship between the conscious and subconscious parts of the mind, instead of just sitting on top of a rollercoaster all of ones life.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Cyan Sarden,

More
6 years 10 months ago #282906 by Manu

JLSpinner wrote:

Magnus Staar wrote: What if I am already very relaxed, and mostly undisturbed by emotion. Does meditation still help, for focus and goal setting?

There are many different forms with many different purposes. I seldom use meditation to relax.

* Eyes widen while awaiting techniques * :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

More
6 years 10 months ago #282916 by steamboat28
Meditation can be focused on many things, including information or a task.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #282919 by

Magnus Staar wrote:

JLSpinner wrote:

* Eyes widen while awaiting techniques * :)

http://liveanddare.com/types-of-meditation/

Very helpful site

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #282943 by
I am a great believer in meditation, it can be difficult to start but once your into it you'll never be able to go more than two days without it. I will say if you are just starting do guided meditation and there are specific meditation relating to the force and the Jedi Code. Also if you're starting out, do a short meditation 2-5 mins, increasing when weekly or monthly. Doing a meditation for to long as a starter is not recommended, as it can lead to losing yourself in a bad way and losing sight of the point of meditation.

Here is my personal favorites

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOjCVHWxhLPiQy3-mAw3thcDnZWDPoHem
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 10 months ago #282952 by
Meditation is one word with many, many definitions. I find that I typically define meditation as any practice that promotes focus and being present.

This can include movement-based meditations, visualization-based meditations, or even just plain old sitting meditation.

I do have to take issue with one thing in your post. Classical music CAN induce a sense of calm... but, many pieces of classical music will not help you there. haha. Perhaps one might play Mars from the Planets as a meditation on getting energized for battle... but, I wouldn't play it to relax my mind. Finding the right piece for the right mood is important.

More
6 years 10 months ago #282957 by Carlos.Martinez3
I am glad there are so many difrent forms and variations of meditation. The tool for every need . I have small forms I use multi daily . My focus is plant big grow big ... Parenting is taxing to ANYONE. Every one. It is a gift I will probly ever understand till i finally get to the end, Kinna funny Hu? But for me somedays it helps me to keep my focus set. A self reminder of my thought ... To action, kind of a action for action! Then on the moments I find my self at my limits I have a place a reset .... Over loads take pauses and reminders and a few build ups for me , some days it's a set of meditations for me to find my balance again. I believe in the ability to think. I think, I plan . Not to say shit won't happen, it does but I've set a direction of sorts .... My choice some days, some days...nah ... Turn the radio up and roll the windows down and let's find a yard sale or two! The point is the meditation and difrent forms help me to keep the focus and the balance some days I want, which I think is really cool. Smiley face! I use it for study . In use it to release . Refocus . Wow , nice I'm glad there are many forms !

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi