Your home remedies.

More
7 years 1 week ago #280754 by MadHatter
Disclaimer: This thread is not meant to be actual medical advice. As always with any medical concern please contact a health care professional.

I'm not sure about anyone else but I love to look up the health benefits of the foods and spices we consume. In doing so I have developed a few home remedies for various things. I thought that it would be interesting to share these things with the Temple at large. This is not meant to be medical advice but a place to share what we find works for us. A good example is chicken soup which has been shown to be potentially useful for the common cold.

So I'll kick us off with a vile-tasting drink I make whenever I feel like I am coming down with something. I do not know if it actually helps but it does seem to at least speed up fighting off the bug.

1 cup green tea warm or cold to your taste. Mix in a dash of the following:

lemon juice
apple cider vinegar
ground cinnamon
cayenne pepper powder
ground ginger

This drink is not something you sip but best taken down as fast as you can. It will make you feel hot and flush but I find it really works. There are proven medical benefits to everything mixed in so it does have some grounds for it working. Or maybe its all in my head. Let me know what you think and what works for you.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 1 week ago #280769 by
Replied by on topic Your home remedies.
My wife is a big fan of apple cider vinegar and my mom believes very much in ginger. I'm still a skeptic, but it seems to work for them.

As a person with cancer, I hear all kinds of suggestions for home remedies and special diets to help fight the disease. I tend to stick with my doctor's recommendations first, but I have explored some home remedies too. If it works for people, who am I to judge?

More
7 years 1 week ago #280771 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Your home remedies.

Senan wrote: My wife is a big fan of apple cider vinegar and my mom believes very much in ginger. I'm still a skeptic, but it seems to work for them.

As a person with cancer, I hear all kinds of suggestions for home remedies and special diets to help fight the disease. I tend to stick with my doctor's recommendations first, but I have explored some home remedies too. If it works for people, who am I to judge?

What I do before buying into any of the hype on a food or herb or what have you I look up the medical data that is available from reputable sources. If there are signs that it can help even a bit I figure hey if it does not hurt me and might help why not. I do not expect it to be a miracle. Sort of like most tools are not an end all be all, just something to give you an edge.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 1 week ago #280772 by JamesSand
Replied by JamesSand on topic Your home remedies.

contact a health care professional.

My views on what constitutes a "medical professional" notwithstanding -

The best cure for damn well everything is clean living. Some woes you can't avoid, sure, and I don't keep enough to records to back this up with anything other than my own glorious confirmation bias, but I find fit people who eat their fresh vegies and red meat come down with less minor injuries and pesky sicknesses.

There is an interesting caveat I suppose, that super-fit people who live on a diet of processed ultra-diet supplements seem to be at the mercy of every goddamn thing, presumably because they push their bodies to such a limit that any it can't handle dealing with life's little problems.

So I suppose as with most things, moderation.

Now call it what you will, "inner focus", some Asian words, kundalini, (in my case "ceaseless rage") a lot of injuries (muscular, bacterial, what-have-you) have a mental component that is important to minimising the severity and duration of the issue.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi