"Primal" Human Posture > Modern Human Posture

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 weeks ago #239263 by
I found this article late last year. I've never had any problems with my back, thankfully, but regardless decided to use this as an opportunity to correct my American posture. We get into the habit of rolling our shoulders forward and slouching our spines. My own belief is that technology dependence and cubicle-based work culture are a big part of this.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/06/08/412314701/lost-posture-why-indigenous-cultures-dont-have-back-pain

What are some thoughts? What is your posture like? And how important do you think correct posture is to overall wellbeing?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 weeks ago #239278 by

MAGNUS wrote: I found this article late last year. I've never had any problems with my back, thankfully, but regardless decided to use this as an opportunity to correct my American posture.

Read this a little while ago too, have been adjusting my posture accordingly. Had some minor back pain a little while ago, but that's gone now.

More
8 years 3 weeks ago - 8 years 3 weeks ago #239404 by Adder
This is a recent thing for me, and I agree with it 100%.

I hurt my back when I was young (dropping an engine block off a trailer) but was lucky, and let it heal by sleeping with a pillow under my lower back for about 6 months. Fast forward 20 years of computer work and I have a terrible posture, but no back pain.

So I've been trying to fix my posture by a combination of a type of soft tissue therapy called Bowen Therapy to clear adhesion's and tension in the soft tissue, and forcing that J type posture through increasing my leg and hip flexibility and strength in my lower back muscles. The stretching enables it for standing, but for me it's nearly impossible when sitting, due to the male anatomy downstairs!!! If looking at how men and women sit, women seem more easily able to sit bolt upright because of this, seemingly. But I'm working on it
:silly:
Oh, and I think the J posture as they call it helps with proper bowel movements, where the hunched over posture sort of slows it all down too much. #2muchinfo

I reckon it's the best posture, it sort of seats the energy into the legs and hips rather then keeping tension in the head and shoulders. Also seems closer to the balanced and explosive stance preferred for hand to hand combat. Perhaps J for Jedi.. the Jedi posture
;)

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi