Its not stress that kill people, it's stressing out about how stressed they are that kills them lol

More
8 years 1 month ago #236478 by OB1Shinobi
please forgive me if this has been posted before

one of my psych professors suggested it to me the other day and when i watched the ted talk, i felt that the message is important - really important - as it basically can make the difference between being overwhelmed and beaten down by stress, and the medical problems which come along with that, or actually growing and becoming a stronger and healthier person by handling stress in an effective way

ive got an article here:

"Embracing stress is more important than reducing stress, Stanford psychologist says
Stanford psychologist Kelly McGonigal talks about new research indicating that stress can make us stronger, smarter and happier – if we learn how to open our minds to it."

Warning: Spoiler!

and/or if you prefer, here is a youtube of her TEDtalk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcGyVTAoXEU

People are complicated.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #236481 by Carlos.Martinez3
The human mind can do many wonderful things. Some we haven't even found out yet.. thanks for posting that!

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
8 years 1 month ago #236484 by Cyan Sarden
Working on the way one thinks can work wonders. If you can't change the circumstances, change the way you perceive and react to them.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #236485 by Edan
For me there is a boundary where stress stops being helpful and becomes harmful, and instead of 'embracing' this stress.. which I've found does not work.. I must reduce it. Reducing the stress from the work I did here and from my degree has made me happier, not more depressed.

While I think that we can cope and happily deal with some stress, there is a limit to what an individual can take.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #236537 by
As with everything it's about balance. I do agree that changing our mindset towards stress is good and helpful. We can't avoid stress all together and trying to would be more harmful than helpful. Like trying to avoid danger by never leaving your house. But, as Edan said, actively trying to reduce your stress isn't a bad thing either.

I think about it like my martial arts training. My ultimate goal is to avoid a physical confrontation (the stress in this analogy) but I have spent a lot of time with it (during the course of training) to deal with it better when it does happen. I view any physical confrontation during training as a good thing because it's preparing me better for one out in the world. However, I do everything I can to avoid the physical confrontation outside of class.

It's not a perfect analogy but it's what I came up with on the spot. If I come up with a better one I'll let post it.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #236548 by OB1Shinobi

Edan wrote: For me there is a boundary where stress stops being helpful and becomes harmful, and instead of 'embracing' this stress.. which I've found does not work.. I must reduce it. Reducing the stress from the work I did here and from my degree has made me happier, not more depressed.

While I think that we can cope and happily deal with some stress, there is a limit to what an individual can take.

yeah thats a good point

i guess this would be more of a coping tool to potentially expand the limit of the stress we can handle by some amount, and i suppose that the exact amount would still be pretty different from individual to individual, and for each individual, also different from situation to situation

the idea of re-framing our perception of the body's reaction to stress really hit me - to see it as "my body is preparing to respond to anything" instead of "omg im so sweaty and nervous" lol

that was really what made me want to share, but i think definitely you hit on something important too, that we all have a limit somewhere to the amount of stress we can handle and even if we expand that limit it doesnt mean that we shouldnt do what we can to keep stress to a minimum

Goken wrote: As with everything it's about balance. I do agree that changing our mindset towards stress is good and helpful. We can't avoid stress all together and trying to would be more harmful than helpful. Like trying to avoid danger by never leaving your house. But, as Edan said, actively trying to reduce your stress isn't a bad thing either.

I think about it like my martial arts training. My ultimate goal is to avoid a physical confrontation (the stress in this analogy) but I have spent a lot of time with it (during the course of training) to deal with it better when it does happen. I view any physical confrontation during training as a good thing because it's preparing me better for one out in the world. However, I do everything I can to avoid the physical confrontation outside of class.

It's not a perfect analogy but it's what I came up with on the spot. If I come up with a better one I'll let post it.

im gonna give my "why martial arts are awesome" speech

and i dont blame you if you dont read it, because i know i talk a lot, and im pretty sure that you already know why MA's are awesome lol

from a STRICTLY self defense POV, FOR THE MOST PART, what i would call "awareness and personality training" is way more important than the physical violence aspect.

so in the event that i find myself talking about the benefits of MA's to people who dont train, i really dont even touch that much on the S.D. side of it unless someone specifically wants to know what they should be looking for in an MA if they want to be able to fight - and not everyone really does

personally, i like especially to promote MA's to parents, for the simple fact that i think MA training is good for everyone and especially it gives kids something positive and healthy so they can learn to build those types of habits while theyre young, even if theyre not really learning to be good fighters PER SE, theyre learning HOPEFULLY to be healthy people in general

ive found that there are a lot of parents who really dont want their kids to be "good fighters"

lol that really frightens some parents actually

so what i like to say instead of "training makes you a good fighter" (because hey lets be honest, it doesnt necessarily. many people have been training for a long time and theyre not really any better of a fighter than your average a gym rat, with a bad attitude. less of one, sometimes) so instead i like to tell people that "training puts you in situations where you have to deal with stress"

to handle several different kinds of stress in effective ways

a competent instructor will see where your limits are, and of course will respect that, but will push you to reach them and over

and in time this will help you to exceed them, by a great deal
and THATS why martial arts training helps people to be good at life

because it helps us get good at handling stress and fear

what is exercise? its putting your body through stress in a deliberate and controlled way

but MA's go further than just the stress of physical exertion

whether its being punched in the face or slammed on the mat OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN lol or being caught in an arm-bar or a choke hold, youre put into situations where youre adrenaline is up, you really feel like youre in a risky situation, and its hard to keep going, physically and mentally

but you have to keep your head together and go on and do what you have to do

so i said all that in response to your last line, because i think your analogy is pretty good - i even use it myself lol

that we learn to handle this kind of stress in a controlled environment, with the idea that this will better prepare us to face stress when we encounter it out in the broader world

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi