Fasting for health

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #236227 by Manu
Fasting for health was created by Manu
I posted this under health and wellbeing because I want this topic to focus on fasting from a health point of view. Fasting for religious or "character-testing" reasons is an entirely different topic.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/12/11/neuroscientist-shows-what-fasting-does-to-your-brain-why-big-pharma-wont-study-it/

Human clinical trials were conducted using patients who were receiving chemotherapy. For long periods of time, patients did not eat, which significantly lowered their white blood cell counts. In mice, fasting cycles “flipped a regenerative switch, changing the signalling pathways for hematopoietic stem cells, which are responsible for the generation of blood and immune systems.”

This means that fasting kills off old and damaged immune cells, and when the body rebounds it uses stem cells to create brand new, completely healthy cells.

“We could not predict that prolonged fasting would have such a remarkable effect in promoting stem cell-based regeneration of the heatopoietic system. . . . When you starve, the system tries to save energy, and one of the things it can do to save energy is to recycle a lot of the immune cells that are not needed, especially those that may be damaged. What we started noticing in both our human work and animal work is that the white blood cell count goes down with prolonged fasting. Then when you re-feed, the blood cells come back.

Thoughts? Experiences?

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Manu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadHatter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #236282 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Fasting for health
Helped me when I was lifting heavy, a way to push past a growth plateau.
I wonder if this relates to life extension low calorie diets.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 1 month ago #236287 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Fasting for health
To be honest I am thinking I will try this. I will start it at the beginning of next month and see how it goes.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #236305 by
Replied by on topic Fasting for health
The documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead proves juice fasting works to lose weight and with all the nutrition you get from fresh vegetable juices it's a no brainer.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi