Losing weight... The right way...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231065 by
I'll be the first to admit that I have issues with self control. I tend to see the world in black and white, all or nothing, go big or go home... Quite literally, I got big. Far bigger than I would even admit to myself at the time. These last 6 months I've been taking steps, and steadily the weight has been falling off week by week. Last August I weighed in at 220lb; 6 months and 3 dress sizes later, I've reached a slightly less terrifying 175lb.

I will not shy away from my achievements where I've earned them, I think I have done very well so far, but a recent trend in my mental process and eating habits has got me more than a little concerned...

I'm an obsessive type, and being such a perfectionist, I've started to put too much pressure on myself to keep my calories exactly where they should be. For a lot of people that would probably be okay, but I can feel myself starting to crack. I don't binge, per say, just a packet of crisps here or there, the odd chocolate bar, nothing hugely outlandish or worth getting upset about. Until 10 minutes later when I hide away in the bathroom, turn on the water so my husband can't hear me from the next room, then vomit until there is nothing left in my stomach.

I know it's wrong, and I'm not asking for pity or lectures, I just want to get it on record somewhere so that I can keep myself accountable. It's time to make a change, to go a little easier on myself, and to get healthy the right way. Admitting it to anyone is difficult, and I'm not ready to tell anyone face to face just yet, but hopefully this will be the first step on a journey to self-acceptance.

Flowerfie

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231067 by
Replied by on topic Losing weight... The right way...
The two 'Fat Sick and Nearly Dead' documentaries are pretty epic albeit extreme, have you seen them?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231068 by
I've seen pretty much every obesity related documentary in existence. XD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231069 by
It's good that you're seeking support :) if you are struggling to lose weight in the right way we are here to help!

What you are describing sounds like bulimia, I've known someone with it and talking to someone about it helped them out a lot :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231070 by
I'd probably agree with you, though I doubt I'd be diagnosed with it, since my binges aren't really binges at all, like 400 calories at most... I don't think I could physically binge too much, I can't handle big meals at all, but I guess it's more about the mental state than the calories.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231082 by
Would anybody be willing to join a Jedi accountability group for food intake? I could make a skype group... Or, a FB group. Or, we could have a knight sponsor it here.

I think we have had enough posts here about self-control and eating that a Jedi support mechanism for this is warranted. I maintain that food addiction is the deadliest disease on the planet right now for the fact that we don't know much about how to stop it and it's growing so rapidly with people who think it's OK. Which, I think is crazy...

I have been battling for my life with food. And, I am scared sometimes to go to OA meetings. I think a Jedi accountability group, with sponsors and a Force-centered/mindfulness based recovery method could be so wonderful. But, I won't invest any time into it unless people think they could use it.

And, those who have struggled with their weight before, please feel free to chime in, join the group too, be a light on the hill, yes?

Just a thought. I got excited for a moment. Excuse me. haha.

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #231087 by Kohadre

Would anybody be willing to join a Jedi accountability group for food intake? I could make a skype group... Or, a FB group. Or, we could have a knight sponsor it here.

I think we have had enough posts here about self-control and eating that a Jedi support mechanism for this is warranted. I maintain that food addiction is the deadliest disease on the planet right now for the fact that we don't know much about how to stop it and it's growing so rapidly with people who think it's OK. Which, I think is crazy...

I have been battling for my life with food. And, I am scared sometimes to go to OA meetings. I think a Jedi accountability group, with sponsors and a Force-centered/mindfulness based recovery method could be so wonderful. But, I won't invest any time into it unless people think they could use it.

And, those who have struggled with their weight before, please feel free to chime in, join the group too, be a light on the hill, yes?

Just a thought. I got excited for a moment. Excuse me. haha.

What if we create a group on MyFitnessPal, doing so would allow us to see what one another ate, how much of it, and what exercises we did.

Just an idea.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Kohadre.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #231088 by
Does it allow discussions and real time chat? That's the main thing, that we can feel free to talk to each other and have accountability meetings.

More
8 years 2 months ago #231089 by Kohadre
It does not.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #231095 by
I went ahead and made it. Because I think that's a good idea. But, we can also have a skype chat for those who wish to do that as well.

Here's the link for those interested: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/112628-jedi-weight-loss-and-lifestyle

EDIT:
I also made a Skype group. Please feel free to join one or the other or both!
https://join.skype.com/zQKuncEDeoao
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi