Aikido/Martial Arts

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230366 by
Replied by on topic Aikido/Martial Arts

OB1Shinobi wrote: what you CAN do is recruit others via craigslist

I would NOT use Craigslist XD haha

But yes the idea is the same. meetup.com or even facebook. Search through facebook for local groups in your area like freecycle or events. My hometown actually has a local group that posts up workshops in the area like Drum Arobics and Zumba Classes that are home brew....

You are right though. You can't self train partner stuff. But again....self train what you can and adapt/improvise what you cant. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #230514 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Aikido/Martial Arts

Trisskar wrote:

OB1Shinobi wrote: what you CAN do is recruit others via craigslist

I would NOT use Craigslist XD haha

But yes the idea is the same. meetup.com or even facebook. Search through facebook for local groups in your area like freecycle or events. My hometown actually has a local group that posts up workshops in the area like Drum Arobics and Zumba Classes that are home brew....

You are right though. You can't self train partner stuff. But again....self train what you can and adapt/improvise what you cant. :)

DRUM AEROBICS??? i didnt know such a thing was possible :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97LfGzPYqHI

im not much savvy to social media - i think i heard of meetup.com a while back but i havent checked it out. SOUNDS like the right idea though

i guess CL may not be the best place anymore, i mention it specifically because i actually did put an ad in CL a couple years ago. and got a few good responses - but then some things happened in my life and with my family that made it impossible to meet up with them, and we've lost touch

fortunately i am now in a gym that i like, so, FOR ME, it worked out anyway

this is what my ad basically said (and it might also help others with a format to start from)

================
MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING PARTNERS WANTED

First, it's not a money thing. I dont have any and Im not asking for any.
What i am looking for is someone who is positive and serious and who would like to train in striking, submission grappling, and weapon disarms.

I have some experience in Kickboxing and Krav Maga as an adult, and Aikido and Taekwondo as a teenager and preteen. I have been out of training for quite a while and would currently rate myself as "out of shape intermediate"

Im putting this ad because I dont have training space or training partners. I'm not too worried about your experience level (only that you know how to train without injuring the people you train with!) or things like like race or size (i am 6 ft, 160 lbs, in case it matters) or even gender - what I need is someone with a good attitude, who has some space we can use, and who is serious about developing and improving a legitimate skill set and will be consistent. Some basic equipment like a heavy bag or focus mitts would be great too, but it's not at all mandatory: the main things are space, sincerity, and a good attitude!

If this sounds like you then dont hesitate! reply!

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230521 by
Replied by on topic Aikido/Martial Arts

OB1Shinobi wrote: i guess CL may not be the best place anymore

My biggest problem with it is that it actually is quite a hot spot for crime. Heck, here in Michigan we had a guy buy a truck off criegs list....ended up being a set up, the perps had other plans and there was a gun fight. Nasty stuff. There has been other nasty things from Criegs List as well and Criegs list really dosn't have a very good moderating system. It's just whoever and whatever.....

At least with Facebook the groups are more controled. I realize, internet, danger is everywhere....but the Facebook local groups and meetup.com at least have a better moderating system and at least in my local groups we have a few cops that sit on the page.

Obviously nothing is perfect....but, at least to me....one is a bit safer than the other.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi