• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 2 months ago #229996 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Aikido/Martial Arts
if i ever have kids i'll teach them pretty much everything i've learned over the years....they would benefit from a wealth of knowledge and experience......

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230017 by
Replied by on topic Aikido/Martial Arts
I have practised aikido for a couple of years, along with karate since I was 12 (my base style even now), thai boxing for 6 months and krav maga for other 6 or 8 months.

I have also had almost fully free sparring with some friends using helmet, gloves (not boxing, but MMA gloves) and shin guards and at thai boxing and krav maga my teachers taught us some grappling and ground fighting so I have some basis in that and in fighting with and without rules.

Finally, I have gone to a couple of courses of bujinkan taijutsu (misscalled ninjutsu here) and xanda, and I practice self-taught kenjutsu with the base learned at aikido, along with bojutsu.

I can tell you aikido is a very good choice if you find a good teacher that show you all the fields of aikido, mind and body, real self-defense and personal, inner grow, so if that's the case just go for it and learn all you can. If not, keep searching for what you really want. :cheer:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230032 by

RyuJin wrote: if i ever have kids i'll teach them pretty much everything i've learned over the years....they would benefit from a wealth of knowledge and experience......

heh, gotta start somewhere ;) The problem with "Teach my kids everything I know" is that, your kid probably doesn't give a Sh** about what you know XD I've actually had more success having others teach my oldest more than I have trying to teach her myself. But she is also only five years old. Got to remember....it took you all your life to learn what you know. You won't pass that down to a five year old in a year or two....it will take them their whole life as well and at the end of it...Their Journey will be completely different from your own. All we can do is ply interest and hope it sticks.

At least from my experience.

I like Kendo for it's sports factor. I think the ability to go into competitions with a team and get rewards will be a great motivator.

As for Hand to Hand. The very first Martial Art they will learn will be.....Rough Housing. No specific style...just how to rough house, take hits, be thrown and tossed about.

When they reach 8 years....we will see then ^_^

More
8 years 2 months ago #230157 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Aikido/Martial Arts
The biggest barrier for me is the cost of classes. I certainly can't afford to drop $100 a month for classes a couple times a week, which is what most of the Martial Arts Schools in the area charge. Many local dojo's are also black belt factories, and produce low quality students as a result.

So long and thanks for all the fish
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #230159 by

Kohadre wrote: The biggest barrier for me is the cost of classes. I certainly can't afford to drop $100 a month for classes a couple times a week, which is what most of the Martial Arts Schools in the area charge. Many local dojo's are also black belt factories, and produce low quality students as a result.

Self Train :) Plenty of Instructional Video's out there. Pretty sure your adult enough to know how to avoid injury and harm ;) Take it easy, take it in steps, and be motivated :) Its what I do, I can't afford class's either :)
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 2 months ago #230179 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Aikido/Martial Arts
you really only need to learn the basics from a good instructor, once you've mastered them learning other styles on your own becomes easier....but yeah the basics should be learned from a good instructor because if the basics are wrong everything else will be wrong...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230183 by

RyuJin wrote: you really only need to learn the basics from a good instructor

That's the Trick though. Not many of those around :-p Id rather have bad technique that works for me then bad technique due to Mac Dojo Idiots who can't tie their own belts and uses their dojo floor as an ash tray :P

More
8 years 2 months ago #230348 by Kohadre
Replied by Kohadre on topic Re:RE: Aikido/Martial Arts

Trisskar wrote:

Kohadre wrote: The biggest barrier for me is the cost of classes. I certainly can't afford to drop $100 a month for classes a couple times a week, which is what most of the Martial Arts Schools in the area charge. Many local dojo's are also black belt factories, and produce low quality students as a result.

Self Train :) Plenty of Instructional Video's out there. Pretty sure your adult enough to know how to avoid injury and harm ;) Take it easy, take it in steps, and be motivated :) Its what I do, I can't afford class's either :)

While a sound option, thats also an easy way to become stagnant in your training, as group structure allows for constructive critisism, camaraderie, and there is also the opportunity for sparring which solo practitioners miss out on.

I attended a trial class last night and the workout there was much more intense than my regular training schedule, because the class pushed each other and encouraged me as a newcomer.

Each way has its own benifits and diaadvantages.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230352 by
I agree :) A group or team is always nice to have. But if you don't have it, make due until you do :) Or self train and join in on local competitions :) or, like you did, visit dojo's and take their first free class for a night of perspective. There are ways around it just gotta look for it and until then....Self Train is better than no train ;)

More
8 years 2 months ago #230364 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Aikido/Martial Arts
i have some definite criticisms of aikido, or of aikidoka, as it is one of the styles that is know for NOT producing capable fighters, and i think that the majority of aikidoka (at least that I have seen) would get beat up by an aggressive high school football player if it ever came down to it

that being said, i love the style (though i spent less than 2 years training in it) i think it has elements which are very much effective and very brutal, and imo it represents the pinnacle of what a MA'st can achieve: the ability to use whatever the other does as the medium for ones defense, and to inflict as little or as much harm on the other person as is appropriate to the situation

i see aikido as the system that a person should take after a lifetime of training in other systems, like boxing, kickboxing, jiu jitsu and judo ect

also, I personally dont think that people should look to martial arts for "spiritual enlightenment"

i think that if you train in martial arts you should be training to prepare yourself for violence, and that if there is any enlightenment to be found in the endeavor, it is missed if one does not experience actual violence, and does not achieve the goal of being at least minimally capable in that arena, i do understand that not everyone feels that way, and we all have a right to our views

all this being said, i dont see how one could self train in aikido, or any other grappling or submission style

striking at least you can teach yourself how to move and perform the techniques, which can give you a fairly capable offense,

but learning to DEFEND requires partners

what you CAN do is recruit others via craigslist, and your roster of friends and associates who also want to train

there are plenty of people on the world who want to train for its own sake, and who are willing to do it without you paying them

really it makes a difference to have someone who knows what theyre doing to teach directly, but if all youve got is some inexperienced but genuinely sincere people to work with, it is possible to use instructional dvd's to develop some fundamentals in striking and in submissions

best wishes

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi