Jedi Self-Sufficiency thread

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #229420 by

Whyte Horse wrote: While I really respect the innovations going into these projects, I would like to remind everyone that these are not what they appear to be. It's like a fad.

The point, my friend. Is that not everyone is going to have the exact same situation. You are basing things off your experience and saying it won't work when clearly it works for others.

It may not work for you. Adapt and Improvise.

It may however work for me. Adapt and Improvise.

Being self Sufficient isn't about "You can't do it." it is about doing what is necessary to survive and make what is needed to work. With the right attitude, motivations and creativity you CAN do more than you think.

Han Solo "Never tell me the odds."

So you need grow lights. Get solor Panels. Can't afford them? Make them. Learn to choose your apartment location according to your needs when you rent said apartment, learn to be prepared ahead of time. Save seeds, Make it work.

:)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #229429 by Kohadre

Trisskar wrote:

Whyte Horse wrote: While I really respect the innovations going into these projects, I would like to remind everyone that these are not what they appear to be. It's like a fad.

The point, my friend. Is that not everyone is going to have the exact same situation. You are basing things off your experience and saying it won't work when clearly it works for others.

It may not work for you. Adapt and Improvise.

It may however work for me. Adapt and Improvise.

Being self Sufficient isn't about "You can't do it." it is about doing what is necessary to survive and make what is needed to work. With the right attitude, motivations and creativity you CAN do more than you think.

Han Solo "Never tell me the odds."

So you need grow lights. Get solor Panels. Can't afford them? Make them. Learn to choose your apartment location according to your needs when you rent said apartment, learn to be prepared ahead of time. Save seeds, Make it work.

:)

EXACTLY. If you run into a problem, part of being self sufficient is having the ability and knowledge to improvise a solution.

It doesnt mean you go out and drop thousands on a pre-packaged commercial solution.

If you look at a self sufficient lifestyle as a fad, then maybe being self sufficient isnt within your capability as a person to begin with.

One reason we are so far removed from this lifestyle, is because of the combination of excess wealth combined with convience products. We are effectively dependant on purchased goods and services, because there was never enough of a need to learn how to do or make those things ourselves.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #229431 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Self-Sufficiency thread
We just bought tomato, cucumber and lettuce seeds to start on our balcony in our apartment in a city in Russia, it's not a large city and we're surrounded by mountains. Her dad is also getting some land that we might do some stuff on hopefully we do and I could document everything to share. It's still a little too cold though.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #229434 by

Kohadre wrote: One reason we are so far removed from this lifestyle, is because of the combination of excess wealth combined with convience products.

Very true. To use a very small example.... I had a friend show up with a surprise cuttings of spider plants (In the middle of winter) I had no flower pots, and the one's I did have outside were buried in snow and ice. So, I got a pop bottle, cut it in half, flipped the top part over and fit in the bottom part. I then fed a cotton cord through the neck/hole and filled it up with potting soil. It has since grown 2 times it's cutting size on a North facing window covered by oak trees.

You can use this extremely cheap, innovated and recycled method of potting for Many plants. It just takes the will to do so.

I plan to grow a pallet garden on my east facing porch this year. INCLUDING the "quaint" Pallet Vertical Garden ;)

Be creative and don't ever say "Cant"

More
8 years 2 months ago #229452 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Jedi Self-Sufficiency thread
I've been off the grid to some extent living in the bush, though we had electricity. Rainwater tanks are self sufficient (given alternate power source to run pumps) but septic tanks still required someone to empty. Having chicken (eggs) and sheep (meat) and veggie patches etc is all fun and games, but never self sufficient unless a full time commitment IMO. It would require a lot more time commitment and I think basically becoming 'farmers'. My cousin's were farmers, so I got to see the other side of that coin too. As a fulltime job you could certainly provide for yourself, and I imagine produce excess when conditions were favorable.

I think the main focus society should have (like in policy support to consumer uptake and industry participation) is power self sufficiency first, but again this is probably less possible in unit accommodation without roof space, unless small wind generators become really efficient (and quiet). People in houses should be able to use solar arrays and batteries more practically/affordably over the next 5 years, and add increased ranges in electric vehicles and voila, power self sufficiency seems in reach!!!

Here is a really recent docu on power self sufficiency;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxABosWfuus

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #235045 by
Well we're like a month or maybe a little more into growing some stuff in our flat. Green onions on the left that we use all the time they don't take long to grow as you can see it's just onions in water hahaha. Then from left to right will be small cucumber and cherry tomato plants which are perfect for living in an apartment plus they're delicious, then on the right is just some form of lettuce. Going to transplant everything soon into empty 5L water jugs that we cut in half and fill with dirt and compost, there will probaby be 2-3 jugs each of cucumbers and tomatos then 4-6 of the lettuce cause there is a lot. We'll also plant a few more onions into some jugs too!

Just go to your seed store get some organic/heirloom seeds, sprout them in the dirt, get some liquid nutrients to put in your water and start growing some food!
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 weeks ago #237292 by
Getting bigger! There is hope for apartment dwellers.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi