Jedi Self-Sufficiency thread

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #228064 by
Replied by on topic Jedi Self-Sufficiency thread

Jestor wrote: If you join the "Off the Grid Group" too, it gives you notifications when a new post or discussion is posted there as well...:)

I'm very new here, so I'm still figuring out what groups there are and how they work, so I wanted to say thanks for linking to the group. I did have a question, if you don't mind: since I live in an apartment, and do not wish to become "off the grid" (living in the city is something I am currently accepting of and want to continue doing), do you think the group would still have much value for someone like me?

Thanks again.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 1 month ago #228067 by Jestor
Its less about living completely "off the grid", than it is about trying to lessen our dependency on the grid...

Thus lessoning our carbon footprint....

Also, just having an interest in is reason enough to join, isn't it?

:)

~from the Hitchhicker's Guide in my Galaxy S3~

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, Skryym,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #228103 by
Replied by on topic Re:Jedi Self-Sufficiency thread

Jestor wrote: Its less about living completely "off the grid", than it is about trying to lessen our dependency on the grid...

Thus lessoning our carbon footprint....

Also, just having an interest in is reason enough to join, isn't it?

:)

~from the Hitchhicker's Guide in my Galaxy S3~

Maybe so. I'll at least have a decent look at it. I appreciate it!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #228194 by

Carli wrote:

Jestor wrote: If you join the "Off the Grid Group" too, it gives you notifications when a new post or discussion is posted there as well...:)

I'm very new here, so I'm still figuring out what groups there are and how they work, so I wanted to say thanks for linking to the group. I did have a question, if you don't mind: since I live in an apartment, and do not wish to become "off the grid" (living in the city is something I am currently accepting of and want to continue doing), do you think the group would still have much value for someone like me?

Thanks again.

I'm in the same boat and as such had not yet joined said group for the same reasons. After this thread started I did and it's quite interesting. I'm currently looking into a few small ways to become less "on the grid" even though I live smack in the middle of it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #228213 by
Awesome! I'm so excited to learn about this group.

I too am an apartment dweller, but my dream is to live self-sufficiently in a cabin in the woods...

Likely will end up somewhere in between, but it's great to learn from others with similar interests!

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • Do not try to understand me... rather realize there is no me.
More
8 years 1 month ago #228747 by Whyte Horse
OK, listen up you apartment dwellers :P . I lived in Bangkok for 2 years(pop 6.4 million), Bandung, Indonesia(pop 2 million), Denver, CO(pop 5.2million), and visited many other large cities: Paris, Barcelona, ST. Petersburg Russia, Seattle, Vancouver, etc. I've lived in some of the worst neighborhoods in the poorest countries on the planet. I've survived earthquakes, mud-slides, trash-slides, floods, revolutions, blackouts, blizzards, and crime. It would behoove you to heed these words: Prepare heavily for the most likely disaster and lightly for the least likely. Some things you might need at any time are:
To survive for 3 days:
1. A flashlight. Get the one that recharges by shaking it.
2. Know how to boil water for drinking, even if the power is out and you have an electric stove.
3. Find where to get water when the local mini-mart sells out, even if it has to be purified.
4. Have 3 days of canned food handy(about 18 cans).
5. Have enough clothes and blankets to keep warm without a heater.
6. Have containers to fill with water the moment something happens, or fill the bath tub. You can buy collapsible water bags that will fit neatly in a storage closet.
This is what is typically needed in a power outage or earthquake. Within 3 days there should be help. Now lets talk about the less likely things:
1. Fire: Have somewhere to go and stay if your apartment burns down. Call a friend now and ask if it's OK and then you know. Put the fireman's phone number next to the phone. Know your exits.
2. Extended power outage: Haha you're screwed. Better get out of the city ASAP and start finding water, food, and shelter.

Some things that are nice to have on-hand if you have to leave the city for extended periods are:
1. First aid kit: Antibiotics(ointments and pills), anti-inflammatories(acetominophen), band-aids, insect repellent, anti-itch ointment, stitching kit, nitrile gloves, tweezers, vein-clamps, tourniquet, gauze pads, gauze roll, adhesive tape, cotton balls, cotton swabs, alcohol, safety pins, thermometer, scissors, peroxide, iodine, antihistamine, decongestants, anti-diarrheals, laxatives, and chocolate :).
2. Multi-tool like a leatherman
3. A car with lots of gas and a spare tire all ready to go. Extra fuses, car tools, jumper cables, flares.
4. Heavy duty waterproof boots
5. Tri-climate jacket, gloves, balaclava, polar fleece, long underwear, wool socks
6. Sleeping bag and 4-season tent

There's a lot more but if you want to get the facts you could check out some national geographic movies that explore these very unlikely scenarios. My personal favorite is american blackout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYoXxVnTePA

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 1 month ago #229358 by Kohadre

Whyte Horse wrote: OK, listen up you apartment dwellers :P . I lived in Bangkok for 2 years(pop 6.4 million), Bandung, Indonesia(pop 2 million), Denver, CO(pop 5.2million), and visited many other large cities: Paris, Barcelona, ST. Petersburg Russia, Seattle, Vancouver, etc. I've lived in some of the worst neighborhoods in the poorest countries on the planet. I've survived earthquakes, mud-slides, trash-slides, floods, revolutions, blackouts, blizzards, and crime. It would behoove you to heed these words: Prepare heavily for the most likely disaster and lightly for the least likely. Some things you might need at any time are:
To survive for 3 days:
1. A flashlight. Get the one that recharges by shaking it.
2. Know how to boil water for drinking, even if the power is out and you have an electric stove.
3. Find where to get water when the local mini-mart sells out, even if it has to be purified.
4. Have 3 days of canned food handy(about 18 cans).
5. Have enough clothes and blankets to keep warm without a heater.
6. Have containers to fill with water the moment something happens, or fill the bath tub. You can buy collapsible water bags that will fit neatly in a storage closet.
This is what is typically needed in a power outage or earthquake. Within 3 days there should be help. Now lets talk about the less likely things:
1. Fire: Have somewhere to go and stay if your apartment burns down. Call a friend now and ask if it's OK and then you know. Put the fireman's phone number next to the phone. Know your exits.
2. Extended power outage: Haha you're screwed. Better get out of the city ASAP and start finding water, food, and shelter.

Some things that are nice to have on-hand if you have to leave the city for extended periods are:
1. First aid kit: Antibiotics(ointments and pills), anti-inflammatories(acetominophen), band-aids, insect repellent, anti-itch ointment, stitching kit, nitrile gloves, tweezers, vein-clamps, tourniquet, gauze pads, gauze roll, adhesive tape, cotton balls, cotton swabs, alcohol, safety pins, thermometer, scissors, peroxide, iodine, antihistamine, decongestants, anti-diarrheals, laxatives, and chocolate :).
2. Multi-tool like a leatherman
3. A car with lots of gas and a spare tire all ready to go. Extra fuses, car tools, jumper cables, flares.
4. Heavy duty waterproof boots
5. Tri-climate jacket, gloves, balaclava, polar fleece, long underwear, wool socks
6. Sleeping bag and 4-season tent

There's a lot more but if you want to get the facts you could check out some national geographic movies that explore these very unlikely scenarios. My personal favorite is american blackout:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYoXxVnTePA

This isnt so much centered on survivalism/prepping as it is on adapting to a sustainable lifestlye centered around eating healthy, sticking to a budget, frugality, and practicality.

Developing an off grid cabin and living in the mountians isnt going to really be a focus here.

I also apologise for the day in content, I recorded the first few videos but am having difficulties with editing them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

So long and thanks for all the fish

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
8 years 1 month ago #229390 by Whyte Horse

Kohadre wrote: This isnt so much centered on survivalism/prepping as it is on adapting to a sustainable lifestlye centered around eating healthy, sticking to a budget, frugality, and practicality.

Developing an off grid cabin and living in the mountians isnt going to really be a focus here.

I also apologise for the day in content, I recorded the first few videos but am having difficulties with editing them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ironically, survivalism and sustainable lifestyle are the same thing; just taken to different extremes. The thing that most people don't realize is that it's impossible to have a truly sustainable lifestyle in a city. I mean you can lower your consumption but you'll always be a consumer in that environment. You'll never be able to produce any of the food you eat, save maybe a tomato plant on the balcony. Anyway, there are a couple of ways to offset the environmental impact of urbanity:
1. Recycle
2. Buy from garage sales and goodwill, craigslist, etc.
3. Join a food co-op and eat seasonal foods
4. Prepare your own foods
5. Can your own foods
6. Don't send plastic to landfills. If you go to walmart and come home with 20 plastic bags, they end up in a landfill.
7. Get a velomobile or bicycle instead of a car
8. Invest in a crop-share (CSA)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229400 by

Whyte Horse wrote: You'll never be able to produce any of the food you eat, save maybe a tomato plant on the balcony.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-best-of-vertical-gardening-inspiration-diy-resources-188013

http://www.amazon.com/Planters-Vertical-Planter-apartment-gardening/dp/B00CM85KV2

https://www.ted.com/talks/britta_riley_a_garden_in_my_apartment?language=en

http://www.urbangardensweb.com/2013/06/01/how-to-build-indoor-hydroponic-gardens-using-ikea-storage-boxes/

.............................. Just saying....

• Whyte Horse
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
8 years 1 month ago #229407 by Whyte Horse

Trisskar wrote:

Whyte Horse wrote: You'll never be able to produce any of the food you eat, save maybe a tomato plant on the balcony.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-best-of-vertical-gardening-inspiration-diy-resources-188013

http://www.amazon.com/Planters-Vertical-Planter-apartment-gardening/dp/B00CM85KV2

https://www.ted.com/talks/britta_riley_a_garden_in_my_apartment?language=en

http://www.urbangardensweb.com/2013/06/01/how-to-build-indoor-hydroponic-gardens-using-ikea-storage-boxes/

.............................. Just saying....

While I really respect the innovations going into these projects, I would like to remind everyone that these are not what they appear to be. It's like a fad. Think about it: an indoor vertical garden? How quaint! Where does the light come from? Oh you need grow lights? How many watts do they use? 1000W? wow, that's pretty expensive. What if your apartment is on the north side of the building and doesn't receive direct sunlight for 90% of the year? I think you'll find that if you do the math... you'll be lucky to get a few tomatoes for $200/year.

There are people who can turn their lawns into major food producers and that's believable. Also if you have a south-facing balcony you can do some great balcony-gardening if you buy soil and tend your plants meticulously. I know of a gardener who is currently doing an experiment to determine how much food can be produced in a small space. The experiment is ongoing but we may have results later on in the Fall. He was challenged to use 32sqft to grow enough food for a person for an entire year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNhCRIfLmDc

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi