Weight issues

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #229133 by
Replied by on topic Weight issues
I've struggled with weight and in my teens was "obese". Since then (over the past 10 years or so) I have made a dedicated effort to become more healthy. At this time I would consider myself "very fit".

My first word of advice would be - progress is gradual, be in it for the long haul. Don't expect to make a drastic lifestyle change overnight. When I was "obese", I began with walks around the block. Then half hour walks. Then hour long walks. Then alternating between running as long as I could and walking. Eventually (over several years) I could regularly run 5-10 miles. Somewhere along the line I added in weight training. Starting with pushups on my knees. Moving to bodyweight exercises. Eventually able to leg press, bench press, etc. significant amounts for my gender and bodyweight.

Same with food. I started by just switching to water for all of my drinks. That's it. Then filling up with dinner rather than having dessert. Then cutting back on carbs (not having bread every night with dinner) and eating more protein and vegetables. Now my diet is pretty healthy, in my opinion. I have become mostly vegetarian (for ethical reasons), eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, and very rarely eat or want desserts or sweets. But these changes were made over years. If I had tried to do it all at once, I surely would have become frustrated and "relapsed", so to speak.

My second piece of advice is focus on health, not weight. I learned a few years into my "weight loss" that health is so much more than a number on a scale. For me, it was a huge revelation that muscle weighs more than fat. So I learned to let go of my rigidity with the number on the scale. It could mean I was getting "fatter", or, if I knew my exercise and diet were right, it could mean that I was gaining strength and muscle. Same with food. You can put a bunch of junk and processed "weight loss foods" into your body, but is it really assisting your health to be consuming artificial sweeteners, overprocessed and artificial foods, etc? No. I've learned that nature tends to know what is best for us. So I try to eat as "close to nature" as possible. I prepare or cook most of my own food, rather than buying something "mystery" that is prepackaged or made by someone else. I'm also an avid gardener, and to me, nothing is better than home-grown food.

Lastly, I'll say: health is multi-dimensional. I thought I was healthy when I cut out "bad" foods from my diet and could run several miles. Then I realized I could barely do a pushup. I thought I was healthy when I could lift certain amounts of weight. Then I realized I was damaging my nerves and had poor flexibility. Now I've started yoga (great for flexibility and muscle control) and Qi Gong (great for mind-body coordination). There are pursuits I would like to take in the future - practicing a more physical martial art, dancing/learning better coordination, rock climbing, etc. And, mental health is such a huge component, and something that can affect your weight just as much as diet and exercise. So, keep a broad view, rejoice in the small victories, and always be challenging yourself to broaden your view of health.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi