Help with depression

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #218077 by
Replied by on topic Help with depression
I began dealing with depression ever since I entered high school and it wasn't easy to defeat but I did it. What I did was focus on what I'm grateful for right now in my life and how lucky I was unlike other people I knew. I also found that simply talking to a therapist let me vent my feelings out in a safe way without causing more trouble. The most important thing, however, is to not give up. Depression had me in its grasp for nearly 2 years but I persisted and now I'm a happy person who can enjoy life once more. May the Force guide you my friend :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #229834 by
I know I'm making this comment long after the original post, but maybe somebody else can be helped by it.

I'm starting to feel as if maybe, for me, depression is like addiction. The times I do the best is when I actively fight to do positive things and keep myself busy. I keep cycling back toward it and then have periods where I don't think about it for a while, but I know that if I give in it will completely eat my life again. To stay positive and active I've done everything from martial arts to going back to school, learning to knit to changing jobs... the list is impressive and I won't bore you. I try talking positively to myself and keeping myself around other positive people (which at work can be challenging sometimes).

There are always days (like today) where I just want to give up again. It's like needing that cigarette or drug after months and months without a dose, I think. I gave up to where I literally went back to bed and cried myself to sleep. But the thing is to get up and start fighting again, which I am doing now.

You can't surrender to it. Moments of weakness and doubt, yes. Surrender, never.

That's the best advice I can give *hug*

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #229843 by
I dealt with the same issue.
I was depressed for about 8 years. It's now 6 years, since my dad died. And the most time after his death I felt very depressed. I had a therap. That was a hard way, but I'm finally happy I took this way. There's only one week in february, when I fall back in depression.
If anyone is depressed and can't deal with it, the best advice is to talk to friends and/or have a therapy.

Good luck!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 months ago #230563 by
every one at one time will have depression.
i lost my mum,my wife and kids and i am still around.

love your self first sit down close your eyes
think of a younger and older you. in a room.

what would you say to the younger you,
say 8 years old with depression
would you put your arms around him and say i am here for you.
and talk to him.
Now look at the older you, the 30 year old man
what would he say to you? every person get a different answer
and would he not put his arm around you.
i find this works very well.
give it a go.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #237356 by
I had depression for about six months before I even realised I was depressed. I knew something was wrong with me, but I didn't know what. I just felt as if I didn't exist or matter, like I was just floating through life thrashed by the currant. When I did finally realise what was happening, I sought help through medicine and psychotherapy to help me find out why I was depressed. I came to find out that I have Acute Anxiety Disorder, which was making me so weary and so weighed down by my thoughts that my mind and body were giving up. Once that diagnosis came about, my therapist and I began working on finding ways to cope with anxiety, and eventually (with the help of both the medicine and the therapy) I beat my depression.
As I was dealing with this, I also came to find out that my mother suffers from chronic depression, which she never told me or my siblings about; so for her it was and is an ongoing battle. When I was working through it, she recommended physical exertion (running, hikking, going to the gym, lifting weights, etc.) as well as meditation (in whatever form is helpful to you) and talking with other people about it. Both she and I realised that it is extraordinarily helpful when you don't feel alone.
I hope this is helpful to you and that you find your Path through depression soon.
May the Force be with you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi