EHS - are mobile phones & wifi bad for you?

• Adder
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • 7 minds, 5 trials and 3 pillars.
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #191574 by Adder
Anyone have Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Syndrome (EHS)!?

It's an adverse reaction to things like mobile phone's & Wifi signals, or even just sometimes electricity itself.

It made the news here today;

Dr John Tickell, who has fought his own brain cancer battle, believes that radiation is a significant contributing factor to the increasing rate of malignant brain tumours.

“There is a million times more radiation today than there was 50 years ago,” he said. “The World Health Organisation has upgraded cell phone radiation to B2 category, which means possibly ­carcinogenic.

The telco-funded studies say they’re safe but the FCC (US Federal Communications Commission) has not done any tests on radiation from phones in 20 years.

Being raised at/near Air Force bases I learnt pretty quick about RADHAZ (Radiation Hazard), as military aircraft have some powerful systems on board. The USN ship's have similar risk's with so many emitters (search radar, fire control radars etc). From NAVSEA OP 3565/NAVAIR 16-1-529 Vol. 1;

"Radiation from antennas fed by high-powered RF transmitters has the potential for injuring personnel present in the vicinity of the radiating antennas. Transmitters aboard ships, on aircraft, and at shore stations are potential sources of harmful radiation. At some frequencies, exposure to excessive levels of RF radiation will not produce a noticeable sensation of pain or discomfort to give warning that injury may be occurring."

There is a U.S. National Radio Quiet Zone which is a 13,000–square-mile area where most types of electromagnetic radiation on the radio spectrum (which includes radio and TV broadcasts, Wi-Fi networks, cell signals, Bluetooth, etc) are banned to minimize disturbance around the National Radio Astronomy Observatory, home to the world’s largest steerable radio telescope. Some people choose to live there specifically because of this, for health reasons!!

There are also EHS Refuge Zone's in France and Italy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=PSK7ciWMFmE

And some people think its complete bunkum, and all in the imagination of the sufferers :pinch:

Personally, I cannot use a mobile/cell phone or Wifi without getting a sensation and eventually pain in either my sinuses or pre-frontal cortex. It's the same for my partner. It's very frustrating as I'd love to use wifi around the house. So I know its real, but obviously it seems most people do not suffer it. My concern is that I've seen quite a lot of Real Estate agents who get brain cancer right where they hold their mobile/cell phones.... and if you know Real Estate Agents they are constantly on the phone.

Food for thought!!! Are cell phones and Wifi actually doing harm!!!! They used to say smoking cigarette's were healthy too not so long ago....
:huh:

Source

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 week ago #191575 by Edan
Without proper unbiased studies, I don't think any of us can truly say if/how much of a problem it is. It could be a very small minority who are affected.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor, Cyan Sarden

More
9 years 1 week ago #191579 by Cyan Sarden
I'm with sedan on this one. It's hard to say without further study.

As for the increase in brain tumors: scientists aren't really sure it's actually happening. There seemed to be a surge throughout the 80s and early 90s ( a time when cell phones were only used by a small minority of people), but today it's suggested that the increase didn't really happen - instead, ct scanners and MRIs became more widespread during this time and more tumors could now be detected that otherwise would have stayed undiagnosed, silent killers.

Also, cancer.org has this to say:

http://www.cancer.gov/newscenter/newsfromnci/2012/GliomaCellPhoneUse

The number of Gliomas has remained unchanged over the last 25 years. While it's still too early to say that EM radiation is safe, it's getting increasing more likely that it is.

I follow the same principle with cell phones as with other things: too much of anything can kill you. I use my phone's hands free mode whenever possible but I don't really place a lot of phone calls anyway. I have wifi at home but don't use cordless phones.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
9 years 1 week ago #191589 by ren
Wifi is very low power and should be minor when compared to a 3G phone. Also, everything has some kind of EM radiation, and things like people are radioactive, all of it is perfectly fine in low doses. Most modern devices operate on the 2.4ghz range, just like a microwave oven, except microwave ovens are extremely powerful in comparison. Quite frankly I'd be more worried about the microwave, there's a good reason why they tell you not to stay right in front of it when it's in operation and most of them leak. It may also be that you live in an area where there's a lot of interference, from running multiple devices on competing networks, that's your nuking machine, your wifi networks, your blutooth networks, your baby monitors, your landline cordless phones, modern cameras and hifi amplifiers, bluray players, security cameras etc and all of your neighbours' stuff. This will cause the devices to operate at maximum power output to overcome the interference, and if you live in a busy place, it can amount to quite a lot.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #191591 by
I haven't seen anything conclusive concerning radiation on this scale but since it's relatively new it would be wise to exert caution in regards to this. Unlike so many other sources of radiation like uranium or UV-light, where we've had hundreds of thousands of years to adapt and evolve, EM-radiation of this magnitude has only been around for the last 50-60 years and ever increasing since it's beginning. There's really no telling where it could lead.
So far, though, my concerns are not on a scale where I live in Faraday cage or solely use a cabled headset or anything.

• Adder
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #191593 by Adder
It's only close range to signal transmitters that bother me. We just don't use Wifi, cordless phones or bluetooth and cellphones stay on airplane mode except for burst access to check or send SMS and messages. It's only now starting to become a little inconvenient as devices more and more start to rely on it, such as tablets and small notebooks discarding ethernet ports and requiring Wifi to access the 'net, though I think you can get a USB to RJ45/8P8C adaptor's which give hope. We will not buy a house if it has a line of sight to a mobile tower
:lol:
I cannot imagine having a reaction to electricity, that would make modern living as most of us know it outright impossible!!!

Then again, since I can 'feel' the signals perhaps one day people will be able to 'listen' to them and read peoples online activity direct :huh:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 week ago #191601 by
I actually present this in one of my Force Sense subjects. I do believe that they are not "Good" for you....I don't think I would outright say "Bad" either. When I instruct people (initiates lvl) on meditation I start them out by turning all of their electronics off as they DO influence your own energy levels/aura, but it's something to be aware of and adaptive to....not really avoid because its dangerous. IMO. Ideally we would all live better as Jungle people sending smoke signals to eachother ;) buuuuuut Jedi advance with the modern times right? :laugh:

However.....we have had wifi in this house for 5 ish years, on the back of the box it even says "May cause Headaches" ect ect When we first got the wifi we did experience alot of physical conditions (headaches, Nausia, ect ect) But either the devices has improved over the years or we just got used to it coz it's never been a issue since our first installment.

Think so long as your aware of how these things effect you and know when to clean your environment when it gets too bad all will be fine.

More
9 years 6 days ago #191702 by Xhaiden
I work in a school district and have taken on the technology department. We have a teacher that is convinced that she has this issue and I have to say, I have seen her break out in hives. However, our entire school has wireless throughout it and it is a pretty constant strength throughout the building though I keep it as low as I can to do what we need, she is unaffected in some areas and swears up and down her room is the worst because that is where the reactions sometimes get bad. I have done a lot of research into it and I am still very torn on what I have read. It just seems to be very random for her and that is where I have the issues. If it was all the time in our school then I might think a bit stronger about this issue. I defintiely agree that people can have a sensitivity to it and there are plenty of studies to support that but I just haven't seen the hard facts to support it is dangerous.

My personal opionion on this staff member is that she deifnitely has a sensitivity to it but she has basically done the mind over body and convinced herself it is worse then it is and ends up breaking out even worse. Again, all opinion based on my extensive research but that's where I am at with it right now. If the time ever comes where it is found to be a danger I will be the first person to pull the cord on our wireless system in our school but until then I keep levels as low as possible to do what we need. No point in exposing people to stronger signals then what is needed.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 days ago #191707 by
I do tend to wonder how much of these effects in regards to intensity felt isn't just the placebo effect.

It obviously does effect people, but the way people tend towards doom and gloom,etc,especially in regards to technology,well, I remain skeptical until further researc is done.

• Adder
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #228760 by Adder
Local science show did a half hour thing on my pet topic, its about 100mb total;

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/catalyst/catalyst_s17_ep03_wifi.mp4

(will update with youtube when its available)

It's not placebo for me, half the time when it happens its under blind conditions. I've probably got a thin skull or something.... anyhow FYI, I'd hate to think youz all were causing ill health.

Some of the interviewed people:
Dr Devra Davis, Cancer epidemiologist
Dr Dariusz Leszczynski, Molecular Biologist
Prof Bruce Armstrong, Cancer epidemiologist, IARC
Dr Ken Karipidis. Physicist, ARPANSA
Assoc Prof Adam Guastella, Brain and Mind Research Institute, University of Sydney

Referenced studies in above doco;
ARPANSA
Bioinitiative Report
Mobile phone use and brain tumours in the CERENAT case-control study
Radiation from wireless technology affects the blood, the heart, and the autonomic nervous system
NON-IONIZING RADIATION, PART 2: RADIOFREQUENCY ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELDS
INTERPHONE Appendix 2
Brain tumour risk in relation to mobile telephone use: results of the INTERPHONE international case–control study
The Potential Impact of Mobile Phone Use on Trends in Brain and CNS Tumors
Letter by Acadamy of Paediatrics to FCC calling for reassessment of wireless
International policy and advisory response regarding children’s exposure to radio frequency electromagnetic fields (RF-EMF)
Captured Agency How the Federal Communications Commission Is Dominated by the Industries It Presumably Regulates
Trends in Central Nervous System Tumor Incidence Relative to Other Common Cancers in Adults, Adolescents, and Children in the United States, 2000 to 2010
United States Central Nervous System Tumor Rates 2000 to 2010

Source

Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Adder.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi