• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago #185409 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Making of a Jedi Warrior
one of my general acceptances is that if you have to fight expect to get some sort of injury....

using that rule i choose the type of injury, by taking a hit in order to land a stronger hit or to use an incapacitating grapple...i've taken pretty hard hits on purpose just to do more damage than could be inflicted on me...plus once the first hit is out of the way the butterflies in the stomach go away....i'm not a fan of pain and if i'm faster than my opponent i'll simply bypass the pain part and finish things before either of us can really get hurt. of course i'm not afraid of pain either and have endured more than my fair share...i've been stabbed...it sucks, but the pain passes quickly when adrenaline is flowing...and the pain tends to fuel my anger....i've been hit by a car 3 different times....been bitten by a pittbul and a doberman....nearly severed 3 fingers....i know pain, both physical and mental...pain can be endured, it can be controlled, it can be purged....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185411 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Making of a Jedi Warrior

OB1Shinobi wrote: a couple posts above yours there is a vid which says FRENCH SAVATE
its the one with the guys in bright green amd black spandex

maybe a kick like the ones their working is what youre thinking?

the points you bring up are totally in line with the topic

headbutting someones punches - if it worked for you thats cool, generally the consensus is that its better not to use your head to hurt their hand - im not being a smartss im being sincere

check out this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x44dnY5smUI

a little more on that note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA3c8QGL4K0

also your post is entirely in line with the thread

looking back at that experience, replaying it step by step - what else could you have done differently?

is there anything you could have done better before the incident started?

is there anything you think you might have been able to say to prevent it from turning into a fight?

you mentioned that you had already met the kid

think of the times you dealt with him or saw him or when you met him

how did he treat people?

what kinds of things did he talk about?

take your time with these

just think about them for a little while at least before answering

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185413 by
Replied by on topic Making of a Jedi Warrior
Of course as with most situations, things could have always been handled differently.
"Is there anything you could have done better before the incident started?"
After the incident was over we hopped over the wall that surrounded the condo area.... it was only a 7-8 foot wall... we could have done that instead of standing in the culdesac debating what to do as they were walking towards us.
"Is there anything you think you might have been able to say to prevent it from turning into a fight?"
Maybe... they kept talking about fighting and we said several times we didnt want to fight until the point the one guy just went for it.
And on the topic of having known the other kid, I actually knew both, but the other didnt step in during or after the fight, so I didnt include him, he was the type that stood back and egged things on but didnt get involved, I went to school with this particular kid and his three buddies. One day in home room the teacher left for awhile to do something so everyone kinda got up grouped up and began talking, so I got up to do the same. As I walked up the row of desk to get to my friends several rows over and got to the front of the room one of this particular kids buddies walked up to my side and started punching me in both the stomach and back multiple times, then walked back to his buddies and they all started laughing. Thankfully I have a really high pain tolerance and he didnt seem to be able to hit hard and I just stood there and gave him a "What was that" look....

As for the other kid, I knew him from a swim team I used to be in... its hard to describe him... hes one of those that wasnt mean to anyone or anything persay... but always trying to make himself look cool to others, and I beleive thats what led up to that night...One of the more popular cool kids egging him on, and him wanting to prove he could be cool with them, or something to that effect. Looking back is a bit harder since the tension and situation was what it was, but I honestly beleive the outcome was gonna be a fight either way given the situation, like I stated in my first post, thats why I didnt turn my back on them to walk away as things went on BEFORE the fight...

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185417 by OB1Shinobi
those are good answers, thank you for taking the time.
i want to tell you something that i did when i was a kid - and i dont say "something that happened to me"

me and my younger sister were in a summer camp deal for the days while our mom was at work

we i guess were about 7 and 8 or 8 and 9 something like that

we were waking along and these kids yell something really nasty about our mom

several of them were bigger and i was not really excited about fighting them all

i tell my sister just ignore them and lets keep walking but they yell it again and she not only yells something mean back at them

but as soon as she yells it she starts running away

well when people run away people chase them lol

at least sometimes - you have to convince them to think twice about chasing you first somehow

so i run too but theyre catching up to us because we were smaller and especially my sister couldnt really run that fast

so i tell my sister to run ahead and go to this office that was up a ways off in the basic direction we were running and get a grown up and i stop and kind of cut them off so she could get help

when a few of them get to me one of the kids comes up and starts pushing me

now this guy was even smaller than me and i wasnt afraid of him

but there were three other boys with him and two of them were definitely bigger than me and i was definitely afraid

at some point i push the littler kid away from me because he started slapping at my face

well thats what the others were waiting for and the biggest one comes up to me and says "why are you picking on my little brother?" lol

i was scared

he hit me in the face

he hit me and hit at me a few times and the most i did was push him back off of me

i really dont even remember how i got away from these kids but it wasnt anything heroic or awesome

for a long time i was really ashamed of myself because i was afraid

now

the reason ive told you about this is because i want to show by example that i am not afraid to honestly look at myself and see where fear made me act in certain ways

i was afraid of the bigger kids especially the oldest brother

i remember he just really looked like a mean kid to me

he had these real dark rings under his eyes

anyway i wanted to ask you to think about what difference being afraid might have made in how you handled these situations you mentioned

like when the kid hit you in class that day

im not expecting or asking for you to share anything more personal than you already have

it doesnt even matter if you answer me

the important thing is that youre honest with yourself about how much of an influence fear might or might not have been in how you reacted to the different situations

also i think thats going to be the next sub topic i focus on

thanks for participating, ive been getting lonely in here lol

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185418 by OB1Shinobi

RyuJin wrote: one of my general acceptances is that if you have to fight expect to get some sort of injury....

using that rule i choose the type of injury, by taking a hit in order to land a stronger hit or to use an incapacitating grapple...i've taken pretty hard hits on purpose just to do more damage than could be inflicted on me...plus once the first hit is out of the way the butterflies in the stomach go away....i'm not a fan of pain and if i'm faster than my opponent i'll simply bypass the pain part and finish things before either of us can really get hurt. of course i'm not afraid of pain either and have endured more than my fair share...i've been stabbed...it sucks, but the pain passes quickly when adrenaline is flowing...and the pain tends to fuel my anger....i've been hit by a car 3 different times....been bitten by a pittbul and a doberman....nearly severed 3 fingers....i know pain, both physical and mental...pain can be endured, it can be controlled, it can be purged....

i know this is really dumb but theres this show MANSWERS and they did a segment on what to do if youre ever hit by a car

like how do you use your posture so that you maximize your chance to survive

basically what i remembered was that you kind of sideroll high up onto the hood

well i dont know exactly how long it was after i saw that episode but my roomate drover her car at me to eff with me (she was kind of playing she wasnt really trying to hurt me per se) and she assumed i would just get out of the way

but i had just seen this show lol and i knew she wouldnt be going so fast that i would get really hurt
so i just rolled up onto her car
she was going a little bit faster than i realized - she really expected me to get out of the way lol she was mad at me

i asked her why she was mad at me - "you hit me i didnt hit you"

not at all the same as what youre talking about but its what you reminded me of

i do have a nice little scar on my forehead (bout half length of my index finger) from a dude with a padlock in his hand and the ligament in my right shoulder was separated from an incident with someone i really shoulda known better than to mess around with lol got thrown into a tree

my first really great job - my ONLY really great job actually - was as a canvasser for an environmental organization FCAN and i have described myself for years as a tree hugging hippie

:::que alanis morriset backround music "its like RAAAAIIIIN":::

never been stabbed - never been shot
hope to keep that record

something about adrenaline;

when i wanted to learn about real life knife defense - this was quite a few years ago, the stuff out there now is not that bad if you look but this was maybe ten or twelve yrs back - people were saying stuff like kick the knife out of his hand then chop to the back of his neck kind of stuff

so i went online and web searched for footage of actual knife attacks

they were hard to find but a site that has been referenced here already comegetyousome or comegetmesome.com
they had real footage

what really suprised me was that i saw people being stabbed over and over and they were still moving as if they werent being stabbed at all
or the same way they would move if they had only been punched

i saw a vid of a girl get stabbed in the ankle and then kick the girl that stabbed her WITH THE LEG THAT JUST GOT STABBED

so i did more web stuff and i found a story about a guy who calls 911 and says "i beat this dude up - i was on top of him and i hit him over and over - i knocked him out i think - i think i hurt him bad there was blood everywhere

when the police arrive the guy who made the call was dead at the phone booth

he had been stabbed repeatedly and didnt realize the blood was his

which taught me a bunch of things over the years as my mind goes back to that but two main things are

always assume they are using a knife

and

if someone is using a knife dont freak out - focus

"whats the first rule of a survival situation?"

"dont panic"

i feel like i might be perceived as an internet tough guy for saying this and i understand how easy it is to say "dont panic" when someone is stabbing you from the safety of my keyboard

but it still stands that for most people stabbing with most knives it takes quite a bit of time to really stop someone definitively and the quicker you can just lock it down and act directly upon them the sooner you get out of that situation and the less they will be able to hurt you

point of fact i dont remember what the process is called but our bodies in intense situations like that have a mechanism which prevent instant bleeding in wounds

some wounds are just too large but puncture wounds will often not bleed profusely until the adrenaline has stopped flooding the blood stream

and

unless you have specific strategies for making it work quickly - a knife is not a good self defense weapon

the "unless you have specific strategies" is important

theyre excellent weapons if you only expect them to do what they can do and you know what that really is and develop tactics accordingly

but just randomly stabbing or cutting is not any better per se that what you can do without the knife except now youve escalated the situation AND used a deadly weapon

shoot im curious how many people cut THEMSELVES using knives in fights

anyway its the principle of researching how things really happen in actual scenarios and training specifics beforehand

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185419 by OB1Shinobi
this is better than the first one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjMpn7JCJ0

People are complicated.

More
9 years 1 month ago #185420 by OB1Shinobi
oh and i meant to tell you also
in professional fights like boxing and mma if a fighter gets cut over his eyes they will stop the fight (if the cutman cant keep the bleeding in check - this is why GOOD cutmen are important to pro fighters)
they stop the fight because when blood gets into your eyes you cant see punches and kicks coming at you

like even if its only getting into one eye if someone throws a hook technique at you from your blind side it can - well - blind side you lol and really hurt you

so another good reason not to use your head to hurt their hands is because its easy to cut the scalp and that can result in problems

People are complicated.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185421 by
This might sound odd... but theres not a whole lot of scenarios I can think of where fear has changed what I should have done... Im kinda one of those people that relies on reaction and instinct... and usually instinct kicks in before fear has a chance to set in, in a sense. Its difficult to explain the brain I was born with... Ill react and do things before I actually know whats even going on sometimes... like me and my friend were screwing around... and we got this thing where when were asses to each other (in a friendly way of course) we hit each other... well one time I went to hit him and he managed to push my arm away, went to shove me, I knocked his hands away, so he went for a swing... my arms were in no position to defend or deflect the swing, so without even thinking about it I twisted my upper toso to the side and used my shoulder to redirect his punch away from me... Back on topic... one time fear actually stopped me from doing something or altered what I WOULD have done has been things like talking to cute girls (Im a bit shy towards girls in the first place, but then add fear of rejection into that mix...) or like I said earlier with fighting people... I have a... "fear" of hitting people cause I know I can cause some damage... like I said, my punching bag was 145lbs... it was originally around 95lbs... so I took out the stuffing and poured a 50lb bag of sand in there... this made it MUCH more solid and heavier... I practiced on it daily and even on a punching bag stand, with three other 50lb bags of sand on the legs, I could hit it hard enough to move the punching bag stand around. So Im actually afraid of hitting someone... I dont want people to think Im violent or something... but when it comes to fighting(the few scenarios Ive explained and a few more, plus wrestling with friends) Ive found that fighting gives me something Ive never felt before...it makes me, like...super happy... even with the kid in the culdesac, I was smiling and trying not to laugh cause I was having to much fun with it....

And another thing... might also sound odd... I grew up watching Naruto on cartoon network... This was back when I didnt have alot of friends and the ones I did have we were always the targets of ridicule or bullying in school. So watching Naruto I understood it was a fictional cartoon, but I understood the MORALS and other things being portrayed in it. And I think from a young age that has altered my view on self defense... When it comes to self defense or defense of others Im not afraid to stand up and take a hit for them, or do what it takes to ensure their safety over mine if need be. Oh.. and I wasnt to worried about getting hit on the head that night, I had been deflecting his swings for several minutes and could judge his power.

Im not trying to turn this into some sort of brag-fest saying I can do this and that really... but I dont get many chances to talk about the few encounters I had or the ability to talk to someone about how my brain works with stuff like this, without people looking like Im crazy, or just telling me I have a big ego and all Im doing is bragging.... so its kinda refreshing to be able to talk about it a bit...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #185423 by
Again sorry for the long post... Ive gotten into the basics of several forms of programming awhile back... then got into video game coding for a website called byond, and had several games, that were other peoples creations, but I redid them or added to them, or a few started up creations of my own that never got finished...so when it comes to typing, I just have at it...

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #185425 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic FEAR
heres the first fear video

its under ten minutes and has some excellent info - coincidentally he sort of explains that process i mentioned last post about not bleeding right away

some language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fogu_zWRXU

also heres a specific tactic he gives for dealing with a crappy situation - also under ten minutes - also language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud2yo_sAQbg

this guy talks a little too much but he says great stuff
coincidentally he also mentions the guy in the last two videos lol
12 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3w4jsgH4s0

about fifteen minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDo1EIOqG3k

People are complicated.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi