the 7 forms of "lightsaber" combat

More
10 years 9 months ago #114554 by 666

steamboat28 wrote:

666 wrote: how to know, how to use a weapon that doesn't exist, it's only guessing, you think what the weapon do, then you imagine, what you can do with it.

I disagree here for a few reasons. Firstly, because this process of "guessing" is what drives weapon innovation, which in turn, drives fighting styles. But mostly because what we know about lightsabers can inform us of their pattern of use pretty reliably. This is because a weapon's use is dictated by its physical form--you can try all day to stab someone with an axe, and unless it's shaped right for it, it's not going to happen. Similarly, scimitars seem completely unwieldy, until you recognize that it isn't used the same as a katana, neither of which work like a western longsword. Why? Because they're all shaped differently, and that dictates their fundamental manner of use.

What we know:
  • Their blade is composed of a contained beam of either focused photons or (much more likely) plasma.
  • The blade is symmetrical along the axis of emission (the blade is the same all the way 'round it)
  • The blade can cut in any direction.
  • The blade is, for all intents, mass-less.
  • The blade emits light and heat (it cauterizes wounds as it creates them)
  • The blade will not cut through another blade
  • The sword is a fictional weapon, based on a real-world style (Kendo)

What this means:
  • This blade must use techniques similar to a double-edged straight blade, at the least.
  • Spins and flourishes are not nearly as detrimental to the wielder, and may be used to aid in defense or psychological intimidation.
  • The only force you would feel would be when the blade contacts something, so strength is less important until after contact is made.
  • The blade's center of gravity is closer to the hand, meaning that once contact is made, the effort required to cut is more than a standard blade.
  • The blade may (obviously) not be held to assist in defense without some kind of cortosis gloves or somesuch.
  • The style will, at least in some regards, look like the form that inspired it.

So, the bottom line, in my mind, is that you have a weapon like a shinai, but where every surface can cut. You need lots of wrist strength, because torque is going to be more important than brute strength except in extenuating circumstances. You will need to focus on techniques that keep the main mass of the weapon (the handle) in an easily controllable position, as you would when in foot-combat with a cavalry sabre. And, unlike traditional weaponry of similar size and shape, and actual lightsaber would gain no benefit from twirls, swirls, or arcing flourishes. On a normal weapon, these help build momentum as well as distract the opponent, but with a near-weightless blade (which I will assume until I'm corrected), it would only be good for the latter.

this is why bokens, shinais and other rubber/wood weapons for training exist, but...
if you test it you know.

you can train and play with a bokken or shinai, or close combat with a ruber knife
but, drop the shinai, and grab a real katana, and tell me that you can handle it in the same way?

if you make a mistake with a bokken or shinai, is no more than a hit in your body,,,, tell me that is going to be the same with a lightsaber.

I use and train with weapons for years, and actually I am (or was)a swordsmith, and i love to create knifes, and weapons....

i had several accidents over the years, because hard trainig, and some real fights, I lost a thumb (now in place but not functional.

and for my experience.

you need to blend the real one, to feel the power of the weapon, and respect it.

like I say check the videos from several places, that do train to use lightsabers, and you can see the deadly errors.. like the policarbonate touching, hair, under arm, waist, neck, shoulder, leg, hand, and others parts of the body and cloth.... this are one time mistakes with a real one.
from there my opinion.

agree, the technique can be developed, but not tested.
for some reason, it's like develop fighting systems, reading, just reading, and never test it in a real fight.

agree with kendo also.
and like in other post, i think aikido can be the perfect MA for a Jedi.

anyway ... without the real deal, and duels with it, there is no much to do... just imagination

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago #114557 by Adder
Sorry, couldn't resist;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

It's ok, he was a bad guy :ohmy:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 9 months ago #114667 by
I've started practicing the Shii-cho dulon with a sparring partner. the Terra Prime videos really helped a lot!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi