Specific Type of Question - relating to Treadmill Exercise

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #112239 by
This is kindof a small and specific question, but I thought I'd throw it out and perhaps start a discussion on the topic.
Is 30 minutes of running and 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill every day enough exercise for a 19 year old man such as myself?

I'm a bit out of shape and heavy, so I can't run or exercise for too long. So what I usually do is break up my exercise - once in the morning and a second time at the evening. I run for 15 minutes and walk (cooldown) for 15 minutes per exercise session.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #112245 by Alexandre Orion
Hello Sean --

This is only rudimentary, so you should ask a doctor ...

Take your age away from 220, that leaves 201. For the extra weight you are carrying, take off another 5 or 6. So, let's say your maximum heart rate is around 195. Now, take 60 - 70 % of that : 117 - 136,5 bmp. You could even go a bit higher than that, up to about 160.

Now, you don't have to "run", you can just walk quickly, as long as you keep your heart frequency up for 20 to 40 minutes. If you walk, you can go longer, so that is why it is an excellent exercise for getting in shape. Remember, cardio is about regularity -- don't go blowing your heart up because you feel as though you aren't doing anything if it isn't painful. The one who started that idiocy "No pain, no gain" should be hauled out and shot ... A good gage as to whether you are working hard enough is this : you can still speak, but not sing.

I hope that helps. Remember also that cardio elevates your metabolism. You keep burning calories even after you stop exercising if you respect the time (20-40 minutes). The longer the better, but don't go over 40 minutes at first.

Don't eat whatever you want to either. Count the calories you take in, not the ones you hope to be burning off.

I hope that helps. Trust in the Force ...

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #112246 by
Also hello sean,

Its not a function of time, but intensity. I could slowly walk somewhere all day everyday and not really get buff, eso if idont eat a healthy diet. or I could try my last crossfit class, 18 minutes, sore for days. Or hit the heavy bag to exhaustion, great cathazrtic exercise good muscle definition. A series of sprints until faolure. You get the idea.

Make it count, and eat right.

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #112253 by Alexandre Orion
Des, let's let him trim down a bit before getting him "buff". He isn't there yet ...

And it is a question of time/heart-rate. No, he will not accomplish very much by leisurely strolling, but fast walking is an apt cardio exercise - effective, doesn't kill the joints and doesn't suck for one not accustomed to physical activity.

So, let's not give him conflicting, contradictory information. It is hard enough as it is, so let's be encouraging.

;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Alexandre Orion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #112255 by

Alexandre Orion wrote: Des, let's let him trim down a bit before getting him "buff". He isn't there yet ...

;)

I disagree. This is why there is a clydesdale division for the heavier runners in races (athena class for women). And there were some surefire hosses in said crossfit class. As I was tossing my 45 pound atlas stone around, a coupple of these guys were tossing around one exactly the same but 3 times the weight.

Bottom line, get moving sean. I may not have ever been overweight, but at least in the buff category, I know of which I speak. You can do what you set yyour mind to.

addendum: ever watch those 'biggest loser' type shows? they sure arent just walking on the treadmill.
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by .

More
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #112260 by Adder
I prefer to throw on a pack with useless heavy stuff in it and go walking in the mountains but its not often possible due to time restraints and weather (always with the excuses Adder) .

The only downside I've found with using a treadmill besides boredom and falling off, is it might make running harder in your dreams. Running seems to be an instinct, and if in a dream you want to move fast, your instinct might say run but your memories of the moving experience could end up trying to push a pedal and grab a steering wheel!!! That has sort of happened to me a bit because I've been using a treadmill for a few years now and driving everywhere. So it might be a good idea to throw in some cross country hiking or jogging into the mix as an occasional activity.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 10 years 10 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #112263 by
You're both right.

The key to effective exercise is consistency. If you don't work out consistently, then you wont accomplish anything. For starting out going balls to the wall is probably not the best idea for someone who is very overweight or obese.

That being said, if you're just a little bit overweight, going a little higher intensity-wise can actually be very beneficial because you will build muscle faster, which will help burn calories on top of those you are burning from working out.

Anyways,

Equally important is the diet, you can't eat your weight in junk food and expect to make any progress. You need to be burning more calories than you are taking in.

Just a heads up, keeping a consistent exercise program is hard and is something you have to work at. Don't beat yourself up if you miss a day, but don't be chill about it either. REMEMBER consistency is key regardless of how you chose to work out. Get a buddy if you think it will help, get a motivating music playlist. Post your progress on facebook or whatever every workout, do whatever it works for you to get yourself out there. Because even if you aren't meeting the goals you set, at least your doing something.

Also, here is a link to a running plan. http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/the-8-week-beginners-program?page=single

don't worry about the energy bars, they are a shit ton of calories and most people(anyone that isn't running a marathon or a professional level athlete) don't need something like that. The fruit isn't a bad idea though.

Be patient, be consistent, be persistent, and get moving!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago - 10 years 10 months ago #112312 by

SeanChing wrote: This is kindof a small and specific question, but I thought I'd throw it out and perhaps start a discussion on the topic.
Is 30 minutes of running and 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill every day enough exercise for a 19 year old man such as myself?

I'm a bit out of shape and heavy, so I can't run or exercise for too long. So what I usually do is break up my exercise - once in the morning and a second time at the evening. I run for 15 minutes and walk (cooldown) for 15 minutes per exercise session.

You're doing fine for a start. Increase your time and intensity slowly. Riding a bike, go for a swim, buy some dumbells, walk up and down stairs, go hiking off hard paths, be carefull what you eat. (my downfall)

Be proud of what your doing and of small improvments. Have fun and be consistant. (another of my downfalls)

Is there a sport you'd like to try?

Hawaii? Can you go run/walk on the beach and body surf/play in the waves? That would be great fun and exercise! :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #112336 by
If you don't incorporate some resistance training to your upper body, you aren't losing effectively all around.

Simple solution: Take every 10 minutes off from your treadmill run. And, while your heart rate is still up, grab some 5-10 pound weights and walk with them. Pumping your arm and providing resistance will burn fat and enhance muscle building in the arm.

The goal of effective exercise (for losing weight and holistic body health) is to make sure you are working as many different parts of your body as you can at once. Granted, raising and lowering your eyebrows while running may not be very effective, but adding weight to your arms might be.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 10 months ago #112342 by
People with no money always want to give financial advice...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi