Early Morning Wake-Up Strategies? (Rowing Issues)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #102294 by
Hello all!

I have been a crew member and rower for both my high school team and the Leander Boat Club for the past two years and most definitely enjoy the sport, team-work and leadership aspects associated with rowing itself. However, waking up at hours such as 4:40am for practice six times a week can prove a bit of a chore, even after I have created a sleeping regime which effectively sends me off to sleep after some meditation at 9pm on the nights before practice. When waking up, are there any effective ways at quickly engaging the mind without having to resort to coffee or other caffeinated beverages, else any other gimmicks? I often set multiple alarms, yet this simply serves to annoy every member of the household while also rendering me rather heated towards my various clocks as well. Does anyone wish to share any early morning wake up tricks with me, and if there are other rowers out there, do you have any rowing-specifics methods that you employ?

Thanks for the help!

For those who would like a brief, random fact-based introduction to the sport: http://www.usrowing.org/About/Rowing101/QuickFacts.aspx

Cheers!

~Lorian~
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102298 by
I've found orange juice to be helpful. Besides that a good stretch is pretty nice. Though, personally, I wake pretty easy even at odd hours. Have you tried some upbeat music? Maybe if you kept your ipod next to you when you slept you could catch a good song without bothering your family members.

Good luck!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102316 by
I have yet to try the orange juice as a means of waking up. Perhaps I'll switch up my usual glass of milk with that tomorrow morning? Thank you for the suggestions! The iPod idea definitely sounds, quite literally, like a good way to go about things :D

Thanks again, Wendaline! :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102325 by
I know this may sound odd, but have you ever considered trying breathing exercises for energy? In yoga it is referred to as pranayama. They have some wild names, but I've found that pranayama can help with all types of things!
There will be videos on YouTube or articles online about pranayama for energy. I'm also available if you' like to discuss it further.
Good luck! :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102329 by
I have heard of yoga-specific breathing exercises, yet have never really tried any nor gone into great lengths as to actually see what it is all about. Do you mind sending me a link to a youtube video, else a page where I could read up on it? And do you use these exercises yourself, Reliah?

Thank you for your help!

(Rowing sure is an odd sport ;P)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102330 by
No problem. :) You'll have to tell me how it goes tomorrow.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102331 by
Will do!

If you get a relatively incomprehensible message tomorrow at around 4:50, consider the orange juice to be a success ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102332 by
Here is a video that is fairly basic. Keep in mind, this is only one of very many different styles.

http://youtu.be/Cdk5En3xwIA

I do pranayama often, yes. Kundalini Yoga is centered around it, chakras, and energy movement. It's much different than other types of yoga, but I love it. :)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 1 month ago #102347 by RyuJin
A healthy high energy breakfast, orange juice, and something I do is before falling asleep I focus on what time I want to wake up, it seems to work since I always beat my alarm by 10 mins and feel more alert and energetic than when I don't focus on the desired wake up time....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102356 by
This may sound a little whacky, but bear with me. I frequently use a program called I-Doser to help me fall asleep and wake up. I'll spare you the tech babble (believe me, I could go on for hours), but basically the program uses sound waves to manipulate brain activity. In short it can take you from an awake state to one of deep sleep (and vice versa) in a matter of minutes. As an audio engineer, I've done extensive digging into the science behind this, and I was blown away by the extensive subject matter. If you're interested, you can check out a free version of the program here .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi