Trying to quit smoking

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #100608 by
Trying to quit smoking was created by
Hello ive been trying to quit smoking sense the new year and ive been un successful ive tryed cold turkey ive tryed the patch ive tryed e cigarettes and nothing seems to work im starting to think its just me and i just dont have the will power can any of you that have been through this give me any advice. I smoke probably 2 packs a day and ive found im not so much addicted to the nicotine as i am to the actual activity of smoking any tips will be highly appreciated. Im really trying to become a healthy person which is something ive been working towards for quite some time now i just keep going backwards i feel and im not sure what to do. I thought about going to a phycologist but i feel they would just tell me to take pills that are just as bad for me if not worse. So any advice would be great thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #100635 by
Replied by on topic Trying to quit smoking
I haven't been though it, personally, but both my mother and brother-in-law have. They both claimed the essential oil Clove helped them a lot. They would put a drop on their finger and wipe it on their tongue. I don't believe it's a very expensive oil, either.

I've also heard people swear by prescription medication... Chantix (I believe that is the correct name.) is quite expensive but has an extremely high success rate.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #100638 by
Replied by on topic Re: Trying to quit smoking
First off, there is no secret to quitting smoking. I used my fathers nicorette gum, and thats when you had to have it prescribed to you. It was expired by eight years, but I wanted to quit, and I did. I still smoke one or two when i drink, and thats only on pagan holidays, so im good. Its pure willpower, you either want it, or you dont. Get a hobby find something else to do with your time, life is short, dont waste it...
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #100640 by
I quit out of anger. Got frustrated, threw my smoke in the bin. Cold turkey quit. Since then, I smoke cigars, only every few months, and only socially.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #100661 by
I'm not a smoker, but could you just slowly reduce the amount you smoke? Say, cut out a cigarette everyday.

40 the first day, chuck one in the bin and have 39, then 38, and so on. That way you'd have time to adjust to being with less before you have to be without?

That, or maybe you could find something to occupy your hands in your down time, like tossing a baseball, wood wittling, drawing, etc.?

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you. :)

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 1 month ago #100664 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Trying to quit smoking
Seems like a good idea actually. Literally chuck them in the bin. keep on buying the same amount, but instead of smoking them, throw them away. at first just one then more. By the time you throw away a whole pack every day you'll be so aware of the money you're wasting on ruining your health you'll have the necessary willpower to stop cold turkey.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 1 month ago #100680 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Trying to quit smoking
If it's a matter of the routine of holding a cig etc, you could also try replacing a cig with a beef stick, or stick of gum....it's an old trick that works for many...but yeah it's primarily will power...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
11 years 1 month ago #100698 by 666
Replied by 666 on topic Re: Trying to quit smoking
ask your doctor about Chantix (ha ha ha, like a tv ad)

I use it, and i start taking the pills, and smoking at the same time, for a week, by the second week, i didn't need to smoke, I never crave, and was perfect for me.

2 or 3 month later, When I hate smoke, and odors from that, I say,
lets try what happen if i try to smoke....

was like the very first time.

then excuses, make me smoke again, now, whereI am, a can not buy chantix, and doctors, don't prescribe it....

so again I am smoking, but I am going to quit. very soon.

Knight of Jediism
Ordained Deacon and Minister
Promoted and Ordained April 28, 2010

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 1 month ago #100699 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Trying to quit smoking

666 wrote: ask your doctor about Chantix (ha ha ha, like a tv ad)

I use it, and i start taking the pills, and smoking at the same time, for a week, by the second week, i didn't need to smoke, I never crave, and was perfect for me.

2 or 3 month later, When I hate smoke, and odors from that, I say,
lets try what happen if i try to smoke....

was like the very first time.

then excuses, make me smoke again, now, whereI am, a can not buy chantix, and doctors, don't prescribe it....

so again I am smoking, but I am going to quit. very soon.

The wife and I used it...

ANd it worked great for us, took us less than a month..

We were stressing, big time in my house, and I thought one of us would fall back...

But, neither of us did, lol..

Man, you wouldn't believe the stress...:lol:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 1 month ago #100700 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Trying to quit smoking
Didn't they ban chantix because of the high suicide rate of its users?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi