Sith and True Power?

More
10 years 5 months ago #124827 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic Sith and True Power?

Khaos wrote: Also, the yin-yang symbol is a poor model to use, as we dont actually use such symbolism or models.

That whole thing is a dead fish to me.

One doesn't need to "use" the symbol for what it represents to still apply, especially one that illustrates that which takes place unconditionally within the universe anyway. Any symbol is only as poor as one's own realization to how it may be applied to them.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124857 by
Replied by on topic Sith and True Power?

One doesn't need to "use" the symbol for what it represents to still apply, especially one that illustrates that which takes place unconditionally within the universe anyway. Any symbol is only as poor as one's own realization to how it may be applied to them.

I honestly have no idea what your trying to say here.

And im not speaking of the universe.

I also dont happen to think such takes place unconditionally in the universe, so I wouldnt mind if you stopped assuming everyone shares your worldview.

Lol, and perhaps it is poor only in contrast to our realization of how it is applied to us, and yet, im sure alot of our work, symbols, and ideas you would find apply poorly here. I also doubt you would like to apply them.

*Shugs*

Like I said, its not a symbol we use, nor do we place value in it.

Anyway, power...

Power :

1.the ability to do something or act in a particular way, esp. as a faculty or quality.
"the power of speech"
synonyms: ability, capacity, capability, potential, faculty, competence More
"the power of speech"
antonyms: inability
the capacity or ability to direct or influence the behavior of others or the course of events.

Not really that complicated to explain at all, though I know how this place hates definitions. However I find them useful for the sake of communication. not only of myself, but the Sith path. As you now have a very clear idea of what im talking about.

To attempt to act in a particular way, or expand ones capacity, and ability to influence the world around them(people, course of events), and expand on it(the scale), or have a better awareness of it.

Will, it last?

Possibly no, if not by death,sickness,retirement,screwing up, losing awareness, burning bridges, etc.

Like when I wasnt a nurse, I didnt have the same power. I gained the ability to influence people, and my surroundings in a much more profound way after becoming a nurse.

Expansion and more ability to influence the world around me, and the people in it.

I have saved lives, literally.

Simple really.

I leave you to contemplate the universe now.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

More
10 years 5 months ago #124863 by Angelus
Replied by Angelus on topic Sith and True Power?
Power is relative.

I believe in willpower.

I believe that there is power in acknowledging our flaws...and accepting them.

I believe that there is power in understanding.

But I also believe that power lies in wealth and influence. People who have the means to influence those around them certainly have a kind of power.

But power is a broad term, that encompasses many meanings, which take on special meanings for every individual.

I wouldn't get too caught up on the idea of power, and if you plan on pursuing training here, I certainly wouldn't get too hung up on other people's notions of power, either.

As for me, i'll take an indomitable will over influence of other people on a large scale any day.

Jedi Knight
Former Masters: Mark Anjuu, Zanthan Storm, Br. John, Grom Fett

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124867 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Sith and True Power?
Does the nurse really have power though, or just capability. I think the definition of power requires a capacity to exert controlling influence and not just a capacity to exert influence. Sure saving a life is a fantastically humane token of influence because it is juxtapositions with death - it sounds like your responsible for life over death and therefore powerful... but I think that is using emotions to distort the actual relationships between capability, authority and application of the action.

The nurse is doing what they are told as their work administrator has the power, and IMO it only becomes an expression of power by the nurse if they choose to defy that authority power and take their own decision to say do something else, eg kill someone instead of save them. That would then be an expression of power by the nurse, otherwise they are just doing the work for someone else and being compensated for it with money!?

Now perhaps for a Sith path the concept of power is in fact the emotion capability of the action, and in which case being a nurse and dealing with life and death might create a fantastic emotional connection within themselves to access some concept of 'true' power, but simple definitions can be more likely to mislead then enlighten IMO.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Adder.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124872 by
What Adder, that was powerful!

That is not a joke :P

Thoughtful
Thorough
Clear

Thank You!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124878 by
Angelus, and what is the point or purpose of willpower or an indomitable will, if not to exert influence? Over yourself, others, etc?

Like having the will to say no to drugs for example.

Does the nurse really have power though, or just capability.I think the definition of power requires a capacity to exert controlling influence and not just a capacity to exert influence. Sure saving a life is a fantastically humane token of influence because it is juxtapositions with death - it sounds like your responsible for life over death and therefore powerful... but I think that is using emotions to distort the actual relationships between capability, authority and application of the action.

You think capability and capacity are mutually exclusive?

Lol, and this isnt a matter of being responsible for life over death. However, when someone codes, there dead unless I exert my influence, period. Precisely because I have the capability and capacity. Its a controlling influence no matter how you try to dance around the definition.

I do not have delusions of granduer, I have had people die on me too...

Which is why I am not claiming ultimate power, or power of life over death.

Yes, my administrator has power over me,hell, my child has a measure of power over me. However I am not talking about absolute power, just an ability to influence and effect/ change things and people within my sphere of influence. Again, using the definition to communicate exactly what it means.

However, if this conversation is going to degenerate into the TOTJO members trying to redefine a word either for arguments sake, or because they lack the vocabulary,knowledge, or life experience, to use the correct words for what they wish to communicate, id rather not insult my intelligence.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124879 by
Double posted, sorry.

More
10 years 5 months ago #124880 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Sith and True Power?

Mareeka wrote: Thoughtful
Thorough
Clear

Thank You!

A change from my usual you mean :P :lol:

Sometimes I don't understand what I am thinking about.... :whistle:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124882 by
Lol . . .

First, "What" was supposed to be WOW, my error!

Next,

no . . i didn't mean a comparison to anything in the past. :)

Powerful, as in appropriately perfect to the topic and it moved me.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124883 by
Maybe even the synthesis of many aspects presented in this thread . . . :dry:

Now that icon means . . . pondering to me!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi