Rites - what are they?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53654 by
Rites - what are they? was created by
I have noticed some senior Jedi have "rite - pureland (etc)" in their signature... I'm a bit confused about this... What do they mean? Is there somewhere I can be directed to, to read up on the different types of rites there are?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53656 by
Replied by on topic Re: Rites - what are they?
Someone else may be able to provide an actual document...But essentially the rites which are now called Special Interest Groups (personally I'd have prefered rites. SIG sounds like they are political special interest groups appealing to the council to get things done their way, which they are not at all) are groups for exploring specific faith areas. Jediism beleives in the common threads of relegious thought which unite us. For my point of view, its that those common threads are where truth can be found. Some people are drawn to a specific world relegion (other than just Jediism proper) as their "foundation". Kind of like how in martial arts, a lot of people will study one style, say, Karate, and that is there primary style, but will then go study something else like Judo to fill in the holes. Jedi are expected to be well versed in relegion generally. Some have roots in or adopt another relegion as well to form there philisophical core that aids them on their Jedi journey. So members of the Abrahamic rite, which are usually Christian but could include Jewish, Ba'hai, Muslim as well, have one of those core relegions as their guide in their Jedi studies.

When you see pureland what they mean is that these Jedi are strictly Jedi, they don't take one one core faith group but again, all Jedi do at least some study of the world relegions.

There is also the Sith... Which is an interesting one and I don't pretend to totally understand the relationship but they operate both as part of the temple and some what seperate from it, though they use our ranks and initiate program and kidnap---err---recruit only members who are Knight or higher. Someone else might have better insight into how they function.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago - 12 years 1 month ago #53657 by
Ahhh that makes more sense now... The rites have been replaced by SIG which is the other common thing to see within a signature.

Thanks a lot, man.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53687 by
I was under the impression that there was a difference between Rites and SIGs. SIG's are the group you belong to (Abrahamaic, Pagan, Eastern) and rights are the actual religions (Christianity, Wicca, Buddhist). But I could be wrong. A Rite could be an affiliation of a religion (Catholic for a Christian, Pure Land for a Buddhist).

Looks like we need the higher ups to come in and straighten this out, lol.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 1 month ago #53694 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Rites - what are they?
rites are now know as SIGs. that's because people gave rites too much importance and somehowfelt compelled to fitin one. Now...It's more for people who have a special interest in those things... and additionalforums for the young jedi league and women.

Some people still use the "rite"in their signature but rites don't exist anymore.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 1 month ago #53722 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Rites - what are they?
To further expound on other statements here....

I like the word "rite" it was still in use when i joined... I preferred it to the SIG verbiage...

So i still use it.. I'm a maverick that way.... lol...

Also, I barely understand the other religions... I was raised Catholic, and left it mentally, long before I stopped attending physically....

And I don't really concern myself with them... I listen and read what others post, but I'm very into how people perceive, and interact in the world...

So, I focus on more internal beliefs than than trying to figure out how all the others work and practice...

I do find the others interesting, but, I am of the opinion to really understand them, like trying to be and understand being a Jedi, you have to live and become one....

Otherwise, you will never now how it really feels to following their doctrine and be one...
just my opinion...:woohoo:

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 1 month ago #53736 by
Excellent... thanks to everyone for the information.

So I take it, by looking at the SIG section of the forum, that the major interest groups for religion are: Abrahamic, Eastern and Pagan, along with Humanism and Sithism. Also chuck in PureLand which, I guess, everyone belongs to in a fashion, anyhow, just by being here.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 1 month ago #53741 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Rites - what are they?

bard wrote: Excellent... thanks to everyone for the information.

So I take it, by looking at the SIG section of the forum, that the major interest groups for religion are: Abrahamic, Eastern and Pagan, along with Humanism and Sithism. Also chuck in PureLand which, I guess, everyone belongs to in a fashion, anyhow, just by being here.

Well, no, lol....

A Pagan Jedi, uses his pagan celebrations to celebrate life and the varies deities, and participate how they do in the force...

Christians still believe in God, and believe what it is they believe....

PureLand, like myself, don't follow and deity for believe in any...

For examples...

But, even within each group, we each may observe differently from another in our group....

Its just a way for folks to kinda get where you stand... If I say I'm male, you get a picture, I'm white, 42, and live in Illinois... I'm 5'10", 240lbs....

And that paints a way different picture than say, a male, black, in Illinois, 5'10", 240lbs...

I could say, I'm not Catholic, not Muslim, nor Mormon.... I'm dont believe in God, im not atheist, but I do think there is an "energy"...

Or I could say, I am a PureLand Jedi....

We are all Jedi, yes, but not all pureland....

I hope this helps....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi