Profiles - Gender

More
7 years 7 months ago #260472 by Manu
Replied by Manu on topic Profiles - Gender

Avalonslight wrote:

Manu wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

Akkarin wrote:

ren wrote: No-one's forced to do anything. The option not to answer remains an option.

Gender is a metric that identifies significantly less people than Sex.


What if people want the option of putting something other than male/female? Doesn't this put us at the beginning of the thread? A text box seems the most straightforward if Gender is to remain an option. Indeed even if the option is sex (which was changed without Council notification) there are still non-binaries which would similarly be straightforwardly accommodated with a text box.

Another approach suggested would be to remove the option entirely, there is space for it in the "About Me" section of the profile. This option would also remove any issues with promoting one category over the other.


This is indeed the only logical option as other options dont respect either opinions on gender and sex , it was me who said that gender is the wrong word if you want to be adressed with HE , or SHE , because of all the variables and misconceptions and the complete lack of mutual respect here , there really is nothing more to say on the matter. I am begging the Council to have the whole sex and gender thing removed so we can get to know eachother as Jedi.


Since the ONLY reason the gender/sex field is relevant is for people to know how to address others, maybe we (and by "we" I mean ren :laugh: ) could change it to "How do we address you" and have the options be "he" or "she". And then be done with the whole issue.


Lmao he she or other ;)

But yes there's that too!!


I'd get a bit spooked if someone decided to be referred to as "we". We are many, we go by many names. * head turns around 360 degrees * :dry:

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Zenchi, Tarran, OB1Shinobi, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260477 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Profiles - Gender
HAHAHAHA :laugh:

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260479 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Profiles - Gender

Akkarin wrote: What if people want the option of putting something other than male/female?


I want to answer the box with... Often! :P

Or... Helicopter :woohoo:

:blink:
:woohoo: :silly: :laugh: :P

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, J_Roz, Avalon, OB1Shinobi, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260485 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Profiles - Gender

Manu wrote: I'd get a bit spooked if someone decided to be referred to as "we". We are many, we go by many names. * head turns around 360 degrees * :dry:


'My name is Legion, for we are many' ? :laugh:

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Tarran

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #260486 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender
What if there was just an text box for "Preferred pronoun(s)"

There would be no need for debate of sex vs gender and ultimately I don't give a crap what you consider yourself or what you are as long as I call you what you want to be called. It's like calling someone by the nickname they prefer instead of the name on their birth certificate. They have something that they prefer to be called, let's call them that. That is the only info I really care about from the members here. What do you want me to refer to you as? If you fill out the box "him/he" great, "her/she" awesome, "them/they" sweet, and if you honestly want to be referred to as "ugly octopus head" I will do my best to honor that wish. Why should it really matter to me?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #260488 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Profiles - Gender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV1Gukj3dgc

EDIT


i think this was the original

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren, Wescli Wardest, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260493 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic Profiles - Gender
Discussions on the character of the participants is not helpful in a public forum and should be relegated to private messaging. Honestly, these debates are hard enough to follow for us, the simple minded. Poo flinging(whether they deserve a face full of chips or not) is distasteful, unneeded filler.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brick, x57z12

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #260495 by OB1Shinobi
Replied by OB1Shinobi on topic Profiles - Gender

rugadd wrote: Discussions on the character of the participants is not helpful in a public forum and should be relegated to private messaging. Honestly, these debates are hard enough to follow for us, the simple minded. Poo flinging(whether they deserve a face full of chips or not) is distasteful, unneeded filler.


i actually disagree with this - observers get the benefit of watching the emotions play out through the responses of the participants

in general, the relative privacy of PM's allows people to hide - youd be surprised how different some people are when the conversation isnt public

having feedback from each other means that we have to deal with the feedback of the angry or petty or silly or ignorant. but it also means we can learn the viewpoints of the thoughtful and mature (all of us are all of these at different moments)

i say lets put it all out there and let everyone learn from the exchanges

People are complicated.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Cyan Sarden

Please Log in to join the conversation.

  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #260500 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender

OB1Shinobi wrote:

rugadd wrote: Discussions on the character of the participants is not helpful in a public forum and should be relegated to private messaging. Honestly, these debates are hard enough to follow for us, the simple minded. Poo flinging(whether they deserve a face full of chips or not) is distasteful, unneeded filler.


i actually disagree with this - observers get the benefit of watching the emotions play out through the responses of the participants

in general, the relative privacy of PM's allows people to hide - youd be surprised how different some people are when the conversation isnt public

having feedback from each other means that we have to deal with the feedback of the angry or petty or silly or ignorant. but it also means we can learn the viewpoints of the thoughtful and mature (all of us are all of these at different moments)

i say lets put it all out there and let everyone learn from the exchanges


I love you Obi 1

*Jedi Hug* ( that is a thing , really it is ! )

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #260501 by steamboat28
Replied by steamboat28 on topic Profiles - Gender

ren wrote: As I explained in the thread adding new options to the list is easy, but not replacing the field with a text box without screwing up years of profiles, which are known to be quirky. As there's a plethora of genders and only 3 possible answers for sex, it made perfect sense.

Some people want gender, some people don't. I never envisioned changing "gender:male/female" which only covers a small portion of human population to "sex: male/female/neither", which covers 100% of the human population for such a tiny nothing on a %&*&$$ profile page could trigger such bullying at totjo, which I now think has got to be the most bigoted place I have ever frequented.


You're missing the obvious solution of adding choices to the dropdown of "Gender", which you just proved you could easily do when you changed it to "Sex."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi