Profiles - Gender

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260323 by
Replied by on topic Profiles - Gender

Kit wrote: Can I get a 'dictionary check' please so I know we're all on the same page hahaa

Sex: physical pluming
Gender: the emotional/mental identity to society roles of male/female?

lol

What is the difference between sex and gender?
Sex = male and female

Gender = masculine and feminine

So in essence:

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs.

Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.

So while your sex as male or female is a biological fact that is the same in any culture, what that sex means in terms of your gender role as a 'man' or a 'woman' in society can be quite different cross culturally. These 'gender roles' have an impact on the health of the individual.

In sociological terms 'gender role' refers to the characteristics and behaviours that different cultures attribute to the sexes. What it means to be a 'real man' in any culture requires male sex plus what our various cultures define as masculine characteristics and behaviours, likewise a 'real woman' needs female sex and feminine characteristics. To summarise:

'man' = male sex+ masculine social role

(a 'real man', 'masculine' or 'manly')

'woman' = female sex + feminine social role

(a 'real woman', 'feminine' or 'womanly')

http://www.med.monash.edu.au/gendermed/sexandgender.html

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260324 by Avalon
Replied by Avalon on topic Profiles - Gender

I see what you mean , but there is an "about me" section too , where you can put all kinds of information you want to share about yourself

People habitually find the information they're looking for as quickly as possible and if it requires them to do more than a quick reading, they quit caring. It's a very common and widely spread human flaw.

Once upon a time (read less than an hour ago), my profile said "Gender: female" so that people could easily access it and see "this person uses the feminine pronoun". Far faster and more simplistic than "Ok, here's there about me section.... sex female... oh but here it says they use male pronouns...." blah blah blah

I can't tell you the number of people I know who are biologically one sex, but gender identify something different. "Gender" tells us how people want to be addressed, how they view themselves, and how to respect that individual as an individual. Not saying you have to agree with gender identity being different than the biological sex, but it ultimately comes down to being respectful to that individual. It's unrelated to biological sex, which is why most sites utilize gender over sex.

Does it and should it though?

Yes it does and yes it should, if purely out of respect for that individual, but I'm not going to get into that with you.

(and also my last bit of input here before the thread derails further..)

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Avalon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260325 by

Avalonslight wrote:

I see what you mean , but there is an "about me" section too , where you can put all kinds of information you want to share about yourself

People habitually find the information they're looking for as quickly as possible and if it requires them to do more than a quick reading, they quit caring. It's a very common and widely spread human flaw.

Once upon a time (read less than an hour ago), my profile said "Gender: female" so that people could easily access it and see "this person uses the feminine pronoun". Far faster and more simplistic than "Ok, here's there about me section.... sex female... oh but here it says they use male pronouns...." blah blah blah

I can't tell you the number of people I know who are biologically one sex, but gender identify something different. "Gender" tells us how people want to be addressed, how they view themselves, and how to respect that individual as an individual. Not saying you have to agree with gender identity being different than the biological sex, but it ultimately comes down to being respectful to that individual. It's unrelated to biological sex, which is why most sites utilize gender over sex.

Yes it does and yes it should, if purely out of respect for that individual, but I'm not going to get into that with you.

If they can go to your profile to see what "gender" you are they should not be put of by what "sex" you are , there have been misunderstandings enough here with males who use anime girls as avatars and find themselfes be called "she " and vica versa , frankly i respect everyone here , whatever their "gender indentification" is , i dont have to see in 2 seconds who you are , i want to get to know you by talking to you but thats my opinion. Maybe we should not use the word sex and gender at all and start to treat eachother with the respect we deserve ...

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260326 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Profiles - Gender

No, it shouldn't. read the doctrine.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by ren.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran

More
7 years 6 months ago #260327 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Profiles - Gender
Honestly, the only thing I care about in the profile is "Do I call this person 'he' or 'she'?" which would be gender right? It's not like I'm planning on sleeping with anyone here so their plumbing doesn't matter to me.

And there's more genders than "male" and "female". I can see how "fill in the blank" would be more handy and inclusive (which is what we're generally about).
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Adder, Avalon, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260328 by

Kit wrote: Honestly, the only thing I care about in the profile is "Do I call this person 'he' or 'she'?" which would be gender right? It's not like I'm planning on sleeping with anyone here so their plumbing doesn't matter to me.

And there's more genders than "male" and "female". I can see how "fill in the blank" would be more handy and inclusive (which is what we're generally about).

That made me laugh out loud Kit

Attachment h7817229.png not found

Attachments:

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #260329 by Avalon

If they can go to your profile to see what "gender" you are they should not be put of by what "sex" you are , there have been misunderstandings enough here with males who use anime girls as avatars and find themselfes be called "she " and vica versa , frankly i respect everyone here , whatever their "gender indentification" is , i dont have to see in 2 seconds who you are , i want to get to know you by talking to you but thats my opinion. Maybe we should not use the word sex and gender at all and start to treat eachother with the respect we deserve ...

Kinda missed my point. When you change "gender" to "sex" you force a duality that ignores the complexities of gender. They're not seeing your gender necessarily; they're not seeing how you identify yourself or how you wish to be identified. They're seeing something is that purely biological and black and white. When they have "Sex: [x]" and then have to read through a paragraph to find "identifies as gender [y] please use [y] pronouns"... your average individual is not going to take the time to read that paragraph to find that information, because they've already got "sex: [x]" set in their mind from the easier piece of text to read and access.

"Gender: [y]" is completely void the risk of the biological sex duality, because it's a matter of identification and not a matter of anatomical parts a person happened to be born with. A person doesn't have to hunt through an about me section... it's right there.

On the online, social world, "gender" is more appropriate to social interaction than "sex" because it allows each individual to ignore the black/white of their biological sex and express themselves how they see themselves, which let's those interacting with them be respectful of them, which is different than respecting them.

But again, to avoid further derailing....

*bows out*

Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Avalon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor,

More
7 years 6 months ago #260330 by Avalon

No, it shouldn't. read the doctrine.

There is nothing in the doctrine which dictates that biological sex is more important than gender identification.

I'm seeing now why there are some individuals on the site who feel like who they are as an individual is attacked or ignored... Excuse me for trying to explain it and build inclusiveness (cause it's not like it wasn't pointed out that that's a central foundation of the site anyway...)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #260332 by

Avalonslight wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

Avalonslight wrote:

Kinda missed my point. When you change "gender" to "sex" you force a duality that ignores the complexities of gender. They're not seeing your gender necessarily; they're not seeing how you identify yourself or how you which to be identified. They're seeing something is that purely biological and black and white. When they have "Sex: [x]" and then have to read through a paragraph to find "identifies as gender [y] please use [y] pronouns"... your average individual is not going to take the time to read that paragraph to find that information, because they've already got "sex: [x]" set in their mind from the easier piece of text to read and access.

"Gender: [y]" is completely void the risk of the biological sex duality, because it's a matter of identification and not a matter of anatomical parts a person happened to be born with. A person doesn't have to hunt through an about me section... it's right there.

On the online, social world, "gender" is more appropriate to social interaction than "sex" because it allows each individual to ignore the black/white of their biological sex and express themselves how they see themselves, which let's those interacting with them be respectful of them, which is different than respecting them.

But again, to avoid further derailing....

*bows out*

Ok , my point is that when i have to see anything about you , i have to go to your profile , much of the profiles are not public, so i cant tell anyway what sex or gender said person is , when i am in a discussion here at the forum , i see a name, rank and foto , thats all , no gender identification , nothing ...i have to go to their profile to find out more about them ...if they choose not to disclose i have to ask them . i dont see that as a problem. This is a good discussion , because now we see what we dont see when we chat in forum ..and it really should not have to matter , when i call you a "he" and i am wrong , you can tell me , that you are a she ..no matter what your sex is

More
7 years 6 months ago #260333 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Profiles - Gender

MartaLina wrote:

Kit wrote: Honestly, the only thing I care about in the profile is "Do I call this person 'he' or 'she'?" which would be gender right? It's not like I'm planning on sleeping with anyone here so their plumbing doesn't matter to me.

That made me laugh out loud Kit

Attachment h7817229.png not found

Hahahaha that's exactly what I think about when I think of that option. "Sex: yes please"

wait, when did that section turn to sex? Wasn't it gender before? o.O when did that change?
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi