Downloading Coursework for Initiates

More
10 years 7 months ago #119122 by Avalon
Unfortunately, services like torrents are frequently blocked to our deployers for the very reason steamboat mentioned. It's either the bandwidth is extremely limited, or even sometimes they can only be using the internet when they're actively logged into and using the computer in question. Unreliable is also extremely true, as the internet out there frequently drops out, sometimes for hours at a time. Larger bases might have a wifi set up, for access on a personal computer. But even that frequently crashes. And then there's the internet black outs...

Even if he were to be able to leave a connection open, where it might take him 3-4 days to download a single document, he'll get the dvd/USB within a week of someone sending it. So while a torrent does sound like a good idea, it simply isn't practical for a deployer.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #119124 by
Sounds like you've been here before Avalon?

More
10 years 7 months ago #119129 by Whyte Horse
I was in a one-cow-town in Indonesia and I could get 128kB/s over 3G. Sadly, when I came back to the US I couldn't get 3G internet and the local internet was slower than 128k. And this proves, once and for all, that the USA is #1. YEAH!

Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts.

More
10 years 7 months ago #119134 by Avalon

Kromtor wrote: Sounds like you've been here before Avalon?

No. But I am acting as the PoA for my brother, who's currently over there. And unfortunately, no one seems to understand that he doesn't have steady internet service...And he's at one of the bigger bases.

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 7 months ago #119220 by RyuJin
There's also the issue of network security on base....or at least on the comms base I was on (we weren't allowed internet access in the dorms, on base housing, or workplaces with a few exceptions)...one of my many co-lateral duties was taso(terminal area security officer) and i'd have to spend at least one day a week running to the few computers with internet access and searching for unauthorized data rated higher than classified... it was a hassle cracking passwords and searching drives for hours at a time....

Now if anyone is needing/missing ip material I have all of it on my laptop, a flash drive, and some on google drive/docs...for brothers(or sisters) in arms i'd be more than willing to help out....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
10 years 7 months ago #119225 by steamboat28
All that being said, if the trouble of starting it up wouldn't be too much, I am fully in support of a torrent-able version of many of these materials.

More
10 years 6 months ago #119588 by Archon
If you need anything further, please let us know! We have a large library of stuff you can look at as well to supplement your IP learning and can send you enough thumb drives to build a computer stand!

I admire your steadfastness in studying your Initiate material during a conflict, but more so your willingness to ask us for help. Thank you for the opportunity to be your support community!

Stay safe, my friend!

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 6 months ago #120134 by Brenna
Its in the post! Should be with you soon

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #120183 by

Brenna wrote: Its in the post! Should be with you soon

I can't thank you enough, I'll actually be able to do something in my downtime to not lose my mind anymore than they are causing me to. Maybe I'll actually regain some perspective on my life again!

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 6 months ago #120204 by Brenna

Kromtor wrote:

Brenna wrote: Its in the post! Should be with you soon

I can't thank you enough, I'll actually be able to do something in my downtime to not lose my mind anymore than they are causing me to. Maybe I'll actually regain some perspective on my life again!

You are very welcome. Let me know when it arrives :)

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi