Going out in public

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #116856 by
Going out in public was created by
Im just starting my training and aboutto go out..I live in Iowa were its super hot during the summer...and waring a hooded rob is not possible without overheating....does anyone ware anything other then a hooded robe or what...I was thinking of waring a scarf.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #116858 by
Replied by on topic Going out in public
I don't know any Jedi that wears a robe on a daily basis.

Obi-Wan was CRAZY on Tatooine.

More
10 years 7 months ago #116862 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Going out in public
I think you'd get a lot of funny looks for wearing a robe in the US unless it was near a Con. That being said, I made an "Everyday" Jedi 'robe' for giggles and wear it whenever. It's based off of a jacket design I found from one of Mccall's patterns <3.

If you're looking for something a little more subtle, TotJO has necklaces for sale on Cafe express (sorry I don't have the link) with the emblem. I made my own but that's only because the images looked off-center on the website and that would drive me up the wall...But honestly for me, being a Jedi isn't about the robes, or the jewelry, or symbols, it's about my devotion to the ideals. I show I am Jedi every day by my actions, not by my wear :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #116863 by

FayeleeD wrote: Im just starting my training and aboutto go out..I live in Iowa were its super hot during the summer...and waring a hooded rob is not possible without overheating....does anyone ware anything other then a hooded robe or what...I was thinking of waring a scarf.

Why do you feel the need to where a robe?

Free your mind.

Don't worry about what you wear.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
10 years 7 months ago #116864 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Going out in public
Unless its functional, I NEVER wear a hood...

I find they are detrimental to my peripheral vision, and I like to be able to observe my surroundings...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

&quot;Bake or bake not. There is no fry&quot; - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

More
10 years 7 months ago #116866 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Going out in public

Jestor wrote: Unless its functional, I NEVER wear a hood...

I find they are detrimental to my peripheral vision, and I like to be able to observe my surroundings...:)

I'm the same way haha. Only if it's cold or rainy! I always wonder at the people who wear headphones and hoods. Missing so much in life :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
10 years 7 months ago #116868 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Going out in public
I'd love a fire resistant, electromagnetic shielding, waterproof yet breathable hooded robe!!! I'd only use it for meditating and 'rituals' ie; cruising around the house in winter.

For outdoor training you might look for good high visibility colors, loose enough fit for unrestricted mobility, but not loose enough so that material can get caught in machinery etc. Some material is breathable, and UV resistant which would also help. Covering skin is good to avoid sunburn and reduce risk for sun induced skin cancer. Basically, I'd choose whatever suits the nature of the training best.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #116869 by

Connor Lidell wrote: Obi-Wan was CRAZY on Tatooine.

LOL! Too funny! Yet so true.

Kamizu wrote: I always wonder at the people who wear headphones and hoods. Missing so much in life :)

I think that such people are operating from a desire to block out the rest of the world, or to escape from it, or both. Or they feel that such an aloof kind of fashion is "cool". I agree, they don't know what they're missing. The same can be said of all of us, to a certain extent, but at least as Jedi we are actively seeking out that which we may be missing.

To me, the hoods on the robes of the Jedi are status symbols of their attunement with the Force. Kind of like saying, "I can wear this hood because I don't need to see you in order to know you're there and whether you present a danger or not." Realistically, most people on Earth are not attuned enough to get away with that, but the hood has become an iconic thing from the movies.

More
10 years 7 months ago #116870 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Going out in public

Connor Lidell wrote: Obi-Wan was CRAZY on Tatooine.

He lived in the rocky terrain didn't he? He'd walk in the shade of valley walls, and his suitably colored robe works well for instant camouflage among the rocks. The robe in those circumstances blocks glare and airborne sand. Plus he probably controlled his body temperature with the Force to keep cool!!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 7 months ago #116871 by

Adder wrote: Plus he probably controlled his body temperature with the Force to keep cool!!!!

Eh, good point. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi