Should there be a live service to mark Jedi Memorial Day?

More
11 years 5 months ago #78007 by Ben
Picking up on something that's been said in the shoutbox, I'm wondering whether there should be a live service to mark Jedi Memorial Day on Thursday 25th October.

I have always thought that there isn't a whole lot of point having feast days if nothing is done to mark them, and Memorial Day is probably more likely than some of the days to be meaningful to people.

It's kinda short notice, but I could definitely prepare a service to mark the date, perhaps less of a sermon-based service so as not to infringe on the weekly sermon and more of an interactive service (although a sermon hasn't been posted for this week so I could include one if desired).

So my (obviously fairly urgent) questions are:

- For Council members - do you think it would be worth doing?

- For all other members - would anyone actually be interested in attending a service in the chatroom for Jedi Memorial Day on Thursday 25th October at around 2200UTC or 2300UCT?

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, MCSH

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #78014 by Jestor
Id say write something up, and if no one is there, you can do it this Sunday, which I'm scheduled for, and ill add myself at the end...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
11 years 5 months ago #78044 by Ben
BUMPPPP...

I'm going to bed now, but I'm just bumping this back up the recent topics list in case anyone else has an opinion they want to offer before I decide tomorrow whether to do it or not.

B.Div | OCP

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #78047 by
Sounds interesting. Why is it held on the 25th? I don't know much about Jedi holidays and I bet others would like to learn more about them too.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 5 months ago #78059 by Jestor
http://www.templeofthejediorder.org/forum/22-Committees/15756-Jedi-Holiday-Commitee

This was the quickest thread I could find ....

People are quick to throw off their old religious ways... Too quick...

We are still kinda new and there is an evolution to these things...

And sometimes its big steps, sometimes small....

Some of the holiday's just make sense (May 4th, May 25th, December 25th, the disputable (for me) Earth Day), but many seem like a bid to just seperate ourselves... To me...

So they have not really taken hold...

And, as the newer folks come here, they have never heard of them and the history gets more lost...

(Psst it is a question that could be ask of you somewhere in your training... Ya might wanna look around...;))

I hope I was a help...

V, the only current, proclaimed Jedi who has recently passed that I'm aware of is Master Steve f... you will have to search for him, he actually conducted the first publicized Jedi wedding ceremony.... he even used to have a pic on wiki...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 5 months ago #78060 by ren
I personally find the feast days a bit... obvious. You know? Like one day some dude said "let's have some feast days" and then made a list...

But Yes, you can have a live service... Though to be fair it could be mixed with your promotion on the 26th. Actually you could just do it right after your promotion.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
11 years 5 months ago #78061 by MCSH
I think there must be some live service in these days, and if no one can do it (lack of time I mean) I may be able to do so(but I prefer not to write it myself :P)

After all, the aim of having these days, is to be around each other, at first...

Master: Wescli Wardest
Clerical Mentor : Master Jestor

Clerical Rank: Licensed Minister

More
11 years 5 months ago #78062 by Ben
I do think that some of them are a bit pointless, yes.

But in my Christian Church, we have an annual service called 'Journey On' to remember and celebrate the lives of loved ones who have died (families of all who have had funerals in the Church over the year are also invited).

Jedi Memorial Day isn't really just about Jedi who have died, but anyone close to us.

I just realised that one of my Clerical Training services was for Memorial Day, and could be easily adapted. As it won't take me a lot of work to do that, I'll do it if anyone turns up for it on Thursday but if not I'll just shelve it, no harm done.

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCSH

More
11 years 5 months ago #78072 by Wescli Wardest
I think that it would be a good idea and I would love to attend something if it were held (and I could get the time).

But I also like being able to read what was done, if I miss the services, when people post the service after it was done.

Monastic Order of Knights
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 5 months ago #78082 by ren

V-Tog wrote: I do think that some of them are a bit pointless, yes.

But in my Christian Church, we have an annual service called 'Journey On' to remember and celebrate the lives of loved ones who have died (families of all who have had funerals in the Church over the year are also invited).

Jedi Memorial Day isn't really just about Jedi who have died, but anyone close to us.

I just realised that one of my Clerical Training services was for Memorial Day, and could be easily adapted. As it won't take me a lot of work to do that, I'll do it if anyone turns up for it on Thursday but if not I'll just shelve it, no harm done.

Memorial day is for the deceased...

When I was a child, around the time you guys celebrate haloween, was when we'd remember the dead. I'd go clean my grandfather tombstone, and my grandmother would tell me stuff about him (he died before I was born). Now that halloween non-sense is creeping in, I personally find it all absolutely ridiculous and frankly, inappropriate... Our celtic ancestors were celebrating the dead at that time of year, the celebration was adopted by the religions that came after. Now, including us as well...

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, MCSH

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi