What IS Relgion?

More
3 years 1 month ago #358399 by rugadd
Replied by rugadd on topic What IS Relgion?
What would the training wheels on religion be? Practices designed to cultivate well being and altruism, or simpler: training to uplift humanity, including ourselves.

For what purpose? To curb destructive behavior that harms ones self or the society in which they live.

To only remove itself from the equation an leave what? I would not use the word "only" here: our life's journey is never an "only". What it would leave(ideally IMHO) would be the habits of a way of living that cares for and improves the quality of life for oneself and those around them. One would have trained enough that they do not need to train anymore: it flows on its own.

What is it religion does for us? Too open ended, really. It can do a lot for us. Or against us. Depends on the individual circumstances.

For you(me)? I like watching people and reading their perspectives. Places like TOTJO allow that. So in my case, entertainment value. That and the Star Wars reference. So cool.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #358400 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic What IS Relgion?
Ha fresh perspectives, get em while they're hot!!! GET EM while we got em!!! lol

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova

More
3 years 1 month ago #358401 by Carlos.Martinez3
"To only remove itself from the equation an leave what? I would not use the word "only" here: our life's journey is never an "only". What it would leave(ideally IMHO) would be the habits of a way of living that cares for and improves the quality of life for oneself and those around them. One would have trained enough that they do not need to train anymore: it flows on its own."

I do LOVE this part.

The Journey is never, "ONLY"... what a concept, please, thank you.
Thats mine forever

Build, not tear down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd

More
3 years 1 month ago #358537 by Carlos.Martinez3
What of the relationships we create in our search and stay with religion? Do we use religion as a tool or as something else? Have we as INDIVIDUALS understood the need or not need for us our self's? hmmm Its like saying have we answered that for our own practice? Do we take every one els's definitions or word on this? I don't lol
Tools
How do you complain about the tools when nothing is built? Religion is a tool that can be used in many way and IS used. Right now as we speak.
When does experience over take explanation? Does explanation take over experience?

Build, not tear down.

More
3 years 1 month ago #358567 by Streen
Replied by Streen on topic What IS Relgion?
I've never been a fan of religion. I realize that this website is based on a religion, but I think that much of what has been accomplished here could have been done without the religious structure.

I suppose I'm of this perspective because growing up I was forced into Catholicism, later on there was born-again Christianity, etc. When I was old enough to make my own decisions, I started studying Taoism, but was later disappointed to see that there was a strict religion underneath the philosophies I was reading about.

I think ideas are good enough. Philosophy can be learned and taught without the rules/restrictions/regulations of religion.

The truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Kira

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #358568 by Zero
Replied by Zero on topic What IS Relgion?
You do realize that we are first and foremost a church right? Literally we (as a group) would not exist without the idea of religion. And if the temple didn’t exist, none of our accomplishments would either.

Master Zero
House of Orion
TOTJO Council Member
Head Moderator and Education Administration Member
Journals- IP / Apprentice / Knight / BDiv / MDiv / Personal
My Apprentices: Khwang, Morkano
Knighted Apprentices: Diana W, Atania, Ashria, Tannis Yarl, Tavi, Rini

”Everything that exists in this world has a hidden meaning within. When you look deeper at things, beyond initial appearance, you discover their true reality.”

Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Zero.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #358570 by Alethea Thompson
Replied by Alethea Thompson on topic What IS Relgion?
@Zero

TotJO is, but Streen comes from a time when Jediism and Jedi Realism as terms didn't exist. We were simply "the Jedi Community". Jedi as a religion was only considered such by a very small group of people- and they didn't even voice it to others. The concept took off and was acceptable after the 2001 census, but before that it was largely a Philosophy that people could contemplate and learn about. That's why there was an entirely new term developed to separate Old Guard members from Religious followers (it's Jedi Realism, and later Opie came up with Pragmatic Jedi to divorce their understanding of the Force from the other two schools of thought).

In truth, this order wouldn't exist without the prior work done by orders like the ones Streen started out with (retroactively referred to as a "Jedi Realist" order). They eventually culminated in two groups that would later have a major influence on the structure here at TotJO: Jedi Sanctuary (where we get the 16 Teachings from) and The Jediism Way (where we get the 21 Maxims from).

Gather at the River,
Setanaoko Oceana
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Alethea Thompson.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rugadd, Zero, Kira

More
3 years 1 month ago #358577 by Carlos.Martinez3

Streen wrote: I've never been a fan of religion. I realize that this website is based on a religion, but I think that much of what has been accomplished here could have been done without the religious structure.

I suppose I'm of this perspective because growing up I was forced into Catholicism, later on there was born-again Christianity, etc. When I was old enough to make my own decisions, I started studying Taoism, but was later disappointed to see that there was a strict religion underneath the philosophies I was reading about.

I think ideas are good enough. Philosophy can be learned and taught without the rules/restrictions/regulations of religion.

Thanks again Streen

We are a Church and much as we are a Order. Think about that. Here, we have the OPPORTUNITY to take these paths, they are never mandated or even Forced. To be able to ESTABLISH common paths, I think is a good thing and to maintain them is even .. a good thing to cultivate. As a Modern day Jedi,I have rarely understood when THOSE THINGS are for others people .. where does the need to TEAR down what's established come from??? Religion seems like a pretty basic " if it's your thing or not.." hu? Why tear down or un do a path some one else may want to take or will...
Or has...
Religion... I've met few mature ideas about it. I've met few people who can sing ANYWHERE and actually worship regardless of ... building or name on the door or site.

It seems as far as paths go , ME and YOU Streen have been down a few of the same roads. I grew up pretty Catholic then born again then a few moments... denomination's then a find and seek for virtue.

Why ask others NOT to go down paths we needed? Why shunn questions we had to answer for our selfs?

Religion without the focus CAN be a pursuit for virtue that can lead to many places. Been there, done that. Still on the Ox.
Places like this TRY to be the examples of what CAN be. If we can be a church we can be a Order as well. We can be anything really.. together. Even Jedi

Build, not tear down.

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #358591 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic What IS Relgion?

Streen wrote: I think ideas are good enough. Philosophy can be learned and taught without the rules/restrictions/regulations of religion.

Does a religion require dogma (which I assume is what you are talking about here) to be a religion and still function toward its philosophical and spiritual goals?

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Proteus.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi