COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENT

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64310 by
COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENT was created by
To the membership:

Recently, it has been brought to a few of the Administrators attention that members are a bit uneasy about what's private and what's not here in the Temple. And we the Council, would like to assure you all, what's yours is yours.

Is it true we can read chat logs and Pm's sent? Yes. However, only one Administrator has this authority, out of about 5-6 administrators. And the criteria for your PM's being read is extensive. We the council will only read your PM's for official Temple investigation (as dictated to us by US and UK law). This includes: Temple Security threats, threats against members, death/harmful behavoir to yourself or others in a very physical sense.

With the exception of one, all Council members are Clergy persons as well. Being as such, all correspondence is kept confidential (this includes chat logs and PM's) and all clergy personnel treat any council sought as a confessional. Only to be shared with other Council members in times of extreme duress or dire need as dictated by the circumstances.

We want to assure you that we are not looking over your shoulder and you are free to correspond and speak in private, without a "wire tap". We also want to reitterate that we VALUE our members and their privacy.

If anyone has questions regarding policies and procedures, please do not hesitate to ask a Council member or Administrator today. Thank you.

-May the Force be with You

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64337 by
Replied by on topic Re: COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENT
This is very interesting for a few reasons.
Kinda goes back to something I've heard, "If you don't want people to find out, don't do it.".
And what Hadi was saying in his v-log: nothing you say or do on the Internet is never truly private and you can never take something back once it's been said or done. Even something from five years ago!
If you ever want real privacy; never tell anyone your secrets and only speak to people face to face.
Trust is rare.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
11 years 9 months ago #64346 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: COUNCIL ANNOUNCEMENT
It's not a secret if you tell someone about it. And don't underestimate people's power of deduction. People think hackers have super bad-ass skills and use huge bots to crack passwords. they don't. Most of the time they just guess it using social engineering.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
11 years 9 months ago #64347 by Alexandre Orion
Whether one can "take back" something that was said is irrelevant. We are committed to the present, to growth, to evolution. If I think and therefore express something 'wrong' (herewith we would do well to consider the value of dualities), this does not indicate that somewhere along the journey that thought should not change ...

Besides, our 'errors of expression' are a good measure of that growth. US and UK confidentiality laws are paranoïd in their best sense. We must respect them in the same déontological way as with any other law. With regard to the moral aspects of confidentiality (confidence, for clarity), the Code dictates that.

If someone acts out in a PM, or in any other rubric of the Temple forum, it is probably a good sign that this person is suffering ... we would do much better to run to their secours than to run to do the policing.

We are here all for one another. Where is the value of extreme confidentiality ?

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64354 by

ren wrote: People think hackers have super bad-ass skills and use huge bots to crack passwords. they don't. Most of the time they just guess it using social engineering.

mine is gibberish followed by random numbers.

More
11 years 9 months ago #64360 by Wescli Wardest
I personally do not care if people read what I say. But there are those that would prefer to keep their personal things private. Between them and the ones they are talking to. And normally this is because it is or could be a source of pain for them.

I would think that once the hurt or threat of hurt has passed and they are willing to be open with what it is they share, making it public would be no problem. But often when people have their private things shared with out there prior knowledge it can feel invasive… and hurt even more, often stemming a sense of betrayal.

If a hacker were to get into your accounts, you wouldn’t be happy about it. If you asked a friend for advice in confidence and the next day someone else mentioned what the two of you were talking about you wouldn’t like that either.

Secrets can’t be secrets if you share them, but if you and someone share something in confidence… it should be able to remain so.

If something was said in confidence that would threaten another or the Temple I would think that each of us would feel it necessary to report it. And I don’t think that anyone would have a problem would have a problem with exposing a threat. And sense it is our “safety” at risk and our “privacy” at stake; I would think that the individual would feel compelled to act on the behalf of their fellow Jedi and the Temple.

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64365 by
Anything you put on chat or in a pm (although it is supposed to be personal) it has been stated is possible to have read by a council member.
That being said I believe(my own personal thought :) ) that the council have no interest in our private converstions except in the case of damage to the Temple or it's members.
So....easy...there are many other venues to share "confidences", and have a truly personal conversation.
In the mean time don't say anything you wouldn't want shared or being attributed to you, then that isn't a problem.
This is my own opinion, and something I try to live by....if you don't say anything you are unwilling to share when it comes back to you...which it inevitably will, you have nothing to worry about.
MTFBWY all

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64367 by

Reliah wrote: This is very interesting for a few reasons.
Kinda goes back to something I've heard, "If you don't want people to find out, don't do it.".
And what Hadi was saying in his v-log: nothing you say or do on the Internet is never truly private and you can never take something back once it's been said or done. Even something from five years ago!
If you ever want real privacy; never tell anyone your secrets and only speak to people face to face.
Trust is rare.

I agree with everything you said.

Especially the trust is rare part.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64369 by

Wescli Wardest wrote: I personally do not care if people read what I say. But there are those that would prefer to keep their personal things private. Between them and the ones they are talking to. And normally this is because it is or could be a source of pain for them.

I would think that once the hurt or threat of hurt has passed and they are willing to be open with what it is they share, making it public would be no problem. But often when people have their private things shared with out there prior knowledge it can feel invasive… and hurt even more, often stemming a sense of betrayal.

If a hacker were to get into your accounts, you wouldn’t be happy about it. If you asked a friend for advice in confidence and the next day someone else mentioned what the two of you were talking about you wouldn’t like that either.

Secrets can’t be secrets if you share them, but if you and someone share something in confidence… it should be able to remain so.

If something was said in confidence that would threaten another or the Temple I would think that each of us would feel it necessary to report it. And I don’t think that anyone would have a problem would have a problem with exposing a threat. And sense it is our “safety” at risk and our “privacy” at stake; I would think that the individual would feel compelled to act on the behalf of their fellow Jedi and the Temple.

I also don't care if people have read what I've written in PMs. I'm not afraid of what I've said.

But it's sharing things with others when it was originally told to you in confidence that bothers me...just a little bit. ;)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #64373 by

Learn_To_Know wrote:

Reliah wrote: This is very interesting for a few reasons.
Trust is rare.

I agree with everything you said.

Especially the trust is rare part.

And yes...I get the delicious irony of ME saying trust is rare...haha.

Hello pot! Meet kettle...

Oh well...we can always try harder each day to be better people, better Jedi and not repeat the same mistakes.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi