[Announcements] Ren as SysAdmin

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 1 month ago #229548 by Jestor
Ive gotten messages about this, and ren's influence on the council...

So, as ugly as this is going to be, I dont like this bullshit, little rumor shit...

Ren is the SysAdmin, voted on by the Council back in September...

While he is not one of the most liked members here at TOTJO, his contributions, have been some of the most beneficial to totjo in my time here, a far as our structure, and lessons go...

THAT SAID, let me quote Br. John from a Council Post:

John, in Council, wrote: When we elected Ren back as SysAdmin he became an ex officio non-voting Member of The Council. So is Proteus. They have the right, but not the obligation, to post here except to cast a vote.

This means ren can comment on Council threads...

That is all it means... AND SIMPLY BECAUSE HE HAS ACCESS THROUGH HIS POSITION, NOT DUE TO ANY GREAT BRILLIANCE OR EXPERTISE ON HIS PART... As does Proteus, and honestly, Adder too... Although Adder and Proteus seldom comment publicly... Now that I think about it, ren doesnt post much anymore either...

Ren's influence is no greater than any of you to whom we Council members take into our confidence, and actually, in some cases, ren has stood opposed...

This cannot be avoided...

There are many members here who would also act like this, and feel their duty to speak up when they see something flawed...

If Steamboat was the sysadmin, I feel he would speak up as well... Same for me, same for many of our most outspoken members... Hell, I got chastised by Mark Anjuu for PMing him my thoughts when I was just a global Mod, when all Councillors were admin...

But, he does not get a vote, and if you know the rest of Council, we will vote how we think we should... You guys dont see things, but, we do not always agree...

However, standing here saying "I didnt vote for ren", if in fact I did not, does nothing but divide the Council, publicly, with a "dont blame me!" kind of finger pointing..... And I have the right to leave at any time I feel I need to... ;)

So, to stop any kind of rumor mongering going on behind the scenes, I decided to post this...

+++++++++++++++++++++
Another point Ive heard, was that Council did it secretly...

Im sorry, did we?

I dont know that we announced it....

I dont know that we announced that we were considering a press release to EvilTwins...

I dont know that I told folks a Knight just approached me about two apprentices, or that another knight PMed a few Councillors and members about taking three on, trying a 'classroom' approach...

Here are some other topics from 2 years ago that maybe we didnt discuss publicly:

Warning: Spoiler!

Many things happen without the 'peoples' knowledge...

It is the day-to-day running of this place...

Its not a secret, we can only include so many people in the decision making process before it gets so bogged down, that it will appear to come to a stop...

So,this is how it works...

I am sorry if it upsets people... Truly...

Its how any small government works... And dont kid yourself, this is like a small government, with Council as a governing body for TOTJO...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: J_Roz, Wescli Wardest, , Ben, Alexandre Orion, Rosalyn J, Kit and 5 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229568 by
Replied by on topic [Announcements] Ren as SysAdmin
If people feel this was "hidden" or "secret", perhaps it's because we usually get announcements of people taking offices or roles here? When someone isn't, and especially when that person is a, eh, controversial figure, it seems a bit... no offence? A bit cowardly to just grant the office and hope noone notices, or to mind if people then talk about it, having no idea what's going on. That stuff breeds rumours, so if there's rumours, perhaps there's a lesson here about how this was handled?

That said, thanks for your service Ren, and thanks Jestor for the announcement.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229572 by
...am I the only one who thought that he already had that role?... :huh:

What exactly is the SysAdmin role? To me it sounds like it's largely technical stuff.

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 1 month ago #229575 by Jestor
ren is in charge of the site security from hacking, and upgrading our software... to keep us running smoothly...

he has upgraded this site twice (right?) and had to build each site, then import everything to the new site...

The free software, as I was just explaining via PM, is full of holes...

And, available to everyone...

So, if someone plays with joomla, or Kunena, and is just 'seeing what they can do', sometimes, they find holes, and come looking for websites to 'try their skillz' out on, and see if it can access anything...

ren is constantly a step ahead of them so far... We have been attacked, albeit a few years ago now, and could see folks trying to get into our admin department though the obvious doors...

It is a game of chess, and constant preparedness...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Kit, Carlos.Martinez3,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #229585 by

Jestor wrote:
Ren is the SysAdmin, voted on by the Council back in September...

While he is not one of the most liked members here at TOTJO, his contributions, have been some of the most beneficial to totjo in my time here, a far as our structure, and lessons go...

I do not care if people do not like ren. I like Ren! Ren does much for the community, more than I can image I guess. Feel sorry that one is being disliked because we do not fully understand a person, or only seeing one side. Do not worry ren, many people like you too! :blush:

Ehm, about your post, master Jestor, If I am allowed to ask, what is exactly the announcement? Feels like clarifying personally :S What has changed? I feel a little bit confused about the topic title to be honest.
~ Aqua
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by .

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #229587 by Edan

Aqua wrote: Ehm, about your post, master Jestor, If I am allowed to ask, what is exactly the announcement? Feels like clarifying personally :S What has changed? I feel a little bit confused about the topic title to be honest.

Since it wasn't actually announced ren 're-became' sysadmin in the first place, which has caused some issues, it's being announced now.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Alexandre Orion,

More
8 years 1 month ago #229588 by Br. John
It's impossible for a System Administrator or Secretary of The Council to not have full access to The Council Forum. They are bound by confidentiality. There are times they need to post there. They also have the privileged of posting there.

We would not be here discussing this now if it were not for Ren. The old site was self-destructing with many issues and it was getting worse.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Jestor, Alexandre Orion, , Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229589 by
Thank you for the explanation Jestor.

So from my understanding Ren's role is just technical. Why should his controversial nature even be a subject of discussion then? (not from you Jestor, I know what you were doing with the announcement). This is a role that could, honestly, be outsourced to someone with ZERO connection to the Temple. We wouldn't really question that person. So why do we question Ren? Someone who has been around for a very long time and done a great many things for the Temple.

The only question that I think should be asked about it is "Can he do the job?" And from what I've heard and seen he can. That's good enough for me.

That said, I do appreciate the explanation on his role not being a voting council member one, but I honestly would've assumed it to be that way, like a forum mod. I don't honestly believe that the explanation should have been needed.

Congratulations on re-getting the gig Ren. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 1 month ago #229590 by

Br. John wrote: We would not be here discussing this now if it were not for Ren. The old site was self-destructing with many issues and it was getting worse.

The old site was one of the reasons I hated Temple of the Jedi order and is why I avoid the TOTJF like the Plauge. It was horrible!

Ren is awesome and has done more to the survival of this place than anyone can imagine.

And. I like Ren to :) No idea what people have against him.

Guess what. We all are rough around the edges..... ;)

More
8 years 1 month ago #229599 by Br. John
People do not understand Ren. He is misunderstood all the time. I wish I could explain it. Unusual for me to know something but lack the words. This won't satisfy anyone but - if you understand Ren no explanation is necessary; if you don't no explanation is possible.

Founder of The Order
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin, Jestor, Brick

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi