Saturdays' Jedi Hangouts on Google+!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #124612 by
Anyone with a G+ account can host a hangout any time they like.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #124618 by Proteus
Yes, anyone with a G+ account can make and host a hangout, and I'd like to encourage anyone here to set one up when they know the most prominent time is for one.

I picked Saturday's because the forums are usually a bit dead and I'm not as busy on that day of the week.

What I could do is set up two (or one extended one), starting in morning time for me for you Euro's, and then during my afternoon for anyone else closer to my time zone.

I just don't have a steady day schedule right yet so I don't know when or if I'll be able to host one during that day until I've gotten everything out of the way.

That said, it would definitely help if I had someone to make one when I can't or when I'm not sure if I'll be able to on a set time.

Otherwise, any of you are always free to set them up any day of the week. I picked once a week as a starting schedule to eventually build up into a more frequent one when I know my schedule is a bit more stable.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

More
10 years 4 months ago #126061 by Proteus
Hop on in to this week's Saturday Jedi Hangout!

Topic? Pick a forum thread you'd like to express something about and share!

Otherwise, share anything else on your mind that's been going on with you. Whatever it is, have fun! ;)

I'll be having this hangout up for the majority of the day and evening for any of you to join as you are available to through the day.

Just click the link below to join!

See you there, and MTFBWY!

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/72cpi5gi48a4josspavphbeju8?hl=en

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion

The Book of Proteus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

More
10 years 4 months ago #126081 by Alexandre Orion
;)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img

More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #126135 by Gisteron
I have missed exactly every single one of them so far, because, of course, they are only available if you happen to check the forums every half an hour just in case someone might announce that a hangout is starting like right now. Just how many more could we be having in them if they were announced several hours in advance or better even: scheduled to a specific time and then only exceptions to the schedule being announced. But why make harmoneous what can be chaotic?
Speaking of chaos vs harmony, isn't it an immense inconvenience, that every hangout has a unique link that's never to be used again? And isn't it that virtually every other popular VoIP solution doesn't have that disadvantage? But then again, why make simple what can be complicated?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Gisteron.

More
10 years 4 months ago #126138 by Kit

Gisteron wrote: I have missed exactly every single one of them so far, because, of course, they are only available if you happen to check the forums every half an hour just in case someone might announce that a hangout is starting like right now. Just how many more could we be having in them if they were announced several hours in advance or better even: scheduled to a specific time and then only exceptions to the schedule being announced. But why make harmoneous what can be chaotic?
Speaking of chaos vs harmony, isn't it an immense inconvenience, that every hangout has a unique link that's never to be used again? And isn't it that virtually every other popular VoIP solution doesn't have that disadvantage? But then again, why make simple what can be complicated?

You know you can always subscribe to this thread :D then you'll get e-mails about them. The last two hangounts I was in lasted most of the day. I popped in and out. They are held whenever someone has the chance to set it up. I think it's the same link each time. At least I could see past people talking in the hang out prior to the day.

The specific time is Saturday :D all day. If you want to pop in the hang out today, have at it. I'll join (although I admit it was my "don't get dressed" day... but I'll do it for the Temple! ...but I have to cook dinner first B) slow-cooked chili to combat the season's First Freeze)

As far as I know, this isn't anything official. It's something Proteus pulled together for funsies and anyone can 'run' the Hang Out as long as you have a Google account.

Google's Hang Outs are a web-based VTC, not just VOIP. The only VOIP I'm familiar with is Skype and it doesn't have any links, you are required to be added to the VTC, and at least one person has to have a subscription. Additionally, I believe there are limits to how many people you can add. If you have another place that you know who does free VTC, I'm sure Proteus wouldn't mind giving it a try but so far Google is doing a great job at supplying our needs.

The hangouts are very simple :D nothing complicated about it. It's Saturday! Come and join! I know I was in there from 1800-0500 Z yesterday with a short absence for dinner and Star Trek :D

More
10 years 4 months ago #126147 by Gisteron
In what sense are the links the same if it only takes you one glimpse at two of them within this very thread to falsify they are?
In what sense is "Saturday all day" a simple and understandable time frame when one starts at 1624 and another one at 2355 to be continued at 0234 the next day, and the first one was announced at 1914 UTC and neither can you tell which one it'll be this time nor wether there will be one at all unless you keep checking during the "entire" Saturday and up until Sunday morning? This sounds an awful lot to me like inviting people to your party by leaving the invitation at your door step instead of sending them out. Like selling the car to the keys instead of the keys to the car. Let alone the fact that the unique link must be distributed and used while the conference is running, so to follow the metaphor, its like the invitations are written on toilet paper and you have to come by the door before there is any rain without having any weather forecast.

All I'm saying is there are better solutions (I've named one and mentioned another one that at least back in the day didn't work out at all) and at least in my humble experience this one is about as bad as you can get short of switching to smoke signals.

To summarize: If you make something, make it all the way. Don't sacrifice availability for promptitude. You gonna have dicks like me complaining.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
10 years 4 months ago #126149 by Kit

Gisteron wrote: In what sense are the links the same if it only takes you one glimpse at two of them within this very thread to falsify they are?
In what sense is "Saturday all day" a simple and understandable time frame when one starts at 1624 and another one at 2355 to be continued at 0234 the next day, and the first one was announced at 1914 UTC and neither can you tell which one it'll be this time nor wether there will be one at all unless you keep checking during the "entire" Saturday and up until Sunday morning? This sounds an awful lot to me like inviting people to your party by leaving the invitation at your door step instead of sending them out. Like selling the car to the keys instead of the keys to the car. Let alone the fact that the unique link must be distributed and used while the conference is running, so to follow the metaphor, its like the invitations are written on toilet paper and you have to come by the door before there is any rain without having any weather forecast.

All I'm saying is there are better solutions (I've named one and mentioned another one that at least back in the day didn't work out at all) and at least in my humble experience this one is about as bad as you can get short of switching to smoke signals.

To summarize: If you make something, make it all the way. Don't sacrifice availability for promptitude. You gonna have dicks like me complaining.

As I stated "I THINK the links are the same". I never claimed to have looked into them in that much detail LOL I just hopped on and said "Ooo a link! Let's check it out!" and noticed that I could see past conversations.

If you feel it is such an inconvenience for you, set up the time and host it yourself! I don't think Proteus would mind. Again, if you want notifications, click the "Subscribe" button and it'll e-mail you. There are a myriad of ways to get e-mail notifications without checking back every minute. It's not a hidden invite, it's an open one. You're making a lot of fuss over a little thing LOL. Right now, Proteus hosts them when he has the time because he thought it would be a fun thing to do. I don't know about you, but there is a rare day when my Saturdays are open with nothing to do. It's unfair to expect Proteus to set his schedule just for us. If you want to volunteer to do that, by all means! And if you can find another place that hosts VTCs for free (Or you are willing to put up the money to do it) then have at! If not, there's always the Temple chat :D (LOL that was almost written "Temple cat" haha. Do we have one?)

If you're feeling left out, you can A) check back "All day Saturday" B) subscribe to the thread or C) Host it yourself :D

I find nothing wrong with how it's run now. It's fluid and sporadic but what is life but that? I'm grateful for the opportunity to meet my fellow Jedi "Face-to-Face" so I make an effort to find where the meeting is. I also appreciate that it's a volunteer thing, I am grateful to Proteus for the idea and spending the time to host the event, as well as grateful to all those who attend when they can! All I'm saying is that sure, there are other solutions if people have the time available, but this one works too!

To summarize: You're doing a lot of 'complaining' when you can fix it yourself :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #126157 by
Damn, I wanted to turn up to that one but I got distracted by clubbing :P

I'll endeavour to make it to one at some point in the future!

More
10 years 4 months ago #126174 by Proteus
The Hangout links I post here do eventually expire after a certain period of time after everyone has left. Apparently this is google's policy, probably based on security.

As Kamizu said, these hangouts are every Saturday. And I try to put them up as early as I can and keep them up for as long as there are people in it so that any of you have at least some chance to hop in at some part of the day. Anyhow, Hangouts were not originally intended by Google to be used as pre-scheduled video conference meetings (although now you can schedule them and post the scheduled event on the G+ stream - I just don't have a predictable schedule myself right now to be able to hold it up, so what I've been doing so far has been more promising to work... this is likely to change though as we keep having these and we share ideas on evolving our participation in it).

Just keep your schedule open for the next coming Saturday and I'll do my best to put the hangout up as early as possible and keep it up for you guys (unless/until someone else is willing to give me a hand and put one up earlier than I can and/or stay in the hangout when a group has left to keep it from expiring.)

― Bruce Lee

House of Orion

The Book of Proteus

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi